Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forgive me my GT3 brothers for I have sinned......

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:42 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I'd go with a 993 TT before a 996 TT for all the reasons stated above. More of a classic, IMHO.
+993
Old 02-13-2010, 04:46 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

996tt's are ridiculously cheap now. Less than 993tt's. Plus the world is your oyster with them - all the good suspension tweaks fit, and power can be easily boosted to 600+ with bolt ons
Old 02-13-2010, 05:04 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Hard to go wrong with either unless you go totally ***** and get a Tip.

No worries, Dell... they make Motons for TTs, too.

993TTs are SWEET, but the 996TT is the bargain of the century.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:29 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
+993

Replace that silly avatar already!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

While the 993's are "classic" and loved by many, I would prefer a 996 for several reasons. It's newer, I can get CPO, it's faster, it's more modern, great pricing, more comfy, better a/c , etc, etc..

With a self imposed budget in the 50's I can pretty much be picky until the "perfect" one comes along.

And Randy, STOP WITH IDEAS ALREADY!!!!! You trying to get me sent to the couch

Perfect solution, you sell me your 7TT in the 50's and we'll be done with it
Old 02-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Same situation here with a non street legal GT3 but we found that our Audi S4 was a way better city/touring car than any of the 996's we have had. I'm looking at either a 997 of some kind or even an Aston Martin Vantage I'm a sucker for that V8 rumble....
Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Same situation here with a non street legal GT3 but we found that our Audi S4 was a way better city/touring car than any of the 996's we have had. I'm looking at either a 997 of some kind or even an Aston Martin Vantage I'm a sucker for that V8 rumble....
That's one reason I bought my 540. More comfortable on long drives, usable back seat, still fun and and flies totally under the radar.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:43 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,326 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Dell,

I bet you could get a 1-2 year old E92 BMW M3 in the 50's. You get 4 doors, 415 HP, CPO, room for the kids, plenty of trunk space, a wicked V8 and basically a wolf in sheeps clothing.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:59 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
So I decided I couldn't take it anymore driving the Escalade and my P-cars turning into race cars and I need one as a semi-DD and weekend car from Stuttgart. I NEED A P-CAR TO DRIVE AROUND TOWN!!!!! And no, the 996CAB isn't going to cut it. .....

Well you can still be in the P-Car Brotherhood with a TT! I went thru this a few times now - turned the street cars into race cars and went from 1 to the next. Eventually ended up with a 993 Cup car, then a series of 996 Cups and now have a 997 Cup car. But like you I wanted a street car - so first was a 996 TT, then did Ruf to it - then switched over to a 996 GT2 - just loved the 2wd steering of the GT2. Then went to a 997 GT3 RS and while that was my favorite street P-Car to date - I did miss the power of the GT2 on the street and the RS did not allow me to take both the kids (then 4 and 6 and now 6 and 8). So I sold the RS and told myself that I had race Porsche and did not need a street Porsche. My DD is a M5 and I have truck for the trailer and the wife an X5, so we had all the bases covered.

Or did we???? After about 10 months I realized we had all the bases covered, except the Porsche street car base, which I missed. My wife was always interested in a convertible, but my performance first bent, never allowed me to consider one. Then last summer my boss needed to borrow my truck and dropped off his 997 Cab and the wife loved it and to be honest I was impressed with car, I was surprised how much I liked it.

But I felt if I went that route I needed a Turbo cab so I started searching for a 996 Turbo S for 3 to 4 months. Then in October I was in my local dealer looking at a Turbo S they had taken in trade and the GM said you know you should drive the 997 Turbo - a much improved car. I said no that could cost me $50K. But my wife was with me and she said lets just drive it.

So $50k later we have a 2009 997 Turbo cab and to be honest it brought back something I had missed with my Ruf, GT2 and RS. The pure pleasure of driving a Porsche on a daily basis. The wife and kids love it and it is an amazing car. When I get in I enjoy all the things it will do, but unlike the RUf, GT2 and RS I am not looking for the next corner to zing around and disappointed in the mean time. Top down wind blowing - all great.

Like you the 996 Cab was not the car for me and the 997 S Cab was not quite enough - the 996 Turbo and the 997 Turbo cab both offered the performance and the fun I was looking for. If your wife still has the 996 Cab you might consider ungrading it to a 996 or 997 TT cab.

They are different from a GT2 or GT3, but are great cars and if you live in a area with decent weather - the flexibility of the top up or down make the TT cab a better choice than a TT.

Good luck with your search but from a GT3 the only choice you have is a TT, no other P-car will satisfy you and meet you needs of taking both kids! Besides it is much easier to load a cab, when I take my son to hockey practice I just put the top down, throw in the bag and sticks and we are off - If I had a TT coupe It would be a major project to wedge the bag into the back!

JCM
Attached Images     

Last edited by supercup; 02-14-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:16 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Dell,

I bet you could get a 1-2 year old E92 BMW M3 in the 50's. You get 4 doors, 415 HP, CPO, room for the kids, plenty of trunk space, a wicked V8 and basically a wolf in sheeps clothing.
While a great car this will not satisfy your P-car need - a RS4 would be a better option and still in your price range. Or a E60 M5 with SMG - all three are great cars - but don't drive like a P-car!

JCM
Old 02-14-2010, 05:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

JCM....that is an EXCELLENT write-up. I've actually talked to my wife about selling the 996CAB and getting something else but she would want a NEW cab (or targa) and getting a TTcab is probably out of the question right now since the university temporarily laid me and 7 other faculty members off (damn you state deficit!). Plus, I would have to sell the race car and I just don't think I could do that right now. Heck, I haven't even driven it yet! First event in 2 weeks.

I am pretty sure I will end up with a 6TT in the next week or two. I agree with you as well about the other options......I have thought about the M5, M3, etc, and I keep coming back to the ONLY car that satisfies me like no other.....a p-car. In this case, it will be a tt.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:19 PM
dennisdesouza
Intermediate

Do what I did.. Have the dealer install the Porsche car seat with the air bag disabler. Works great and my son loves it! This is installed in an 04' 996 GT3. Very easy to remove and put back. Takes less than 2 minutes. Once he is over 40lbs we can take the "lap" pad out and he can just use the seat belt. You MUST have the airbag disabled in order to keep your son or daughter from getting hurt. The whole setup cost about $950 for the seat, the airbag disabler and the installation.
So I decided I couldn't take it anymore driving the Escalade and my P-cars turning into race cars and I need one as a semi-DD and weekend car from Stuttgart. I NEED A P-CAR TO DRIVE AROUND TOWN!!!!! And no, the 996CAB isn't going to cut it. While it is a great car, it was always my wife's dream car and we bought it after she graduated from residency so it really has never felt like mine.

The GT3 was a birthday gift from her and I stupidly sold it to go racing. Now I miss those days terribly of driving her not just on track but to coffee with the fellas on weekends and short trips around town. So......now I have been on the prowl for a replacement.

I only had one criteria....be able to take my boys (2 and 3months) around in the back since my 2 year old LOVES going in the "Porsche car". Only problem is there is no frickin back seat in the GT3. Yes, I know, it can be done but I just don't want to go down that road.

So what have I been searching for??? I guess we could call it the next best thing.....a TT.

So, am I making a bad decision by grabbing a TT? Did I betray the N/A brotherhood? Flame suit on.....
Attached Images   

Last edited by dennisdesouza; 02-14-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The only problem is I have no place for my other son....and my wife
Old 02-14-2010, 05:41 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

The only problem is I have no place for my other son....and my wife
I thought they made minivans for this purpose? Are you really going to take your kids and wife out in a TT with moton club sports, Recaro seats, roll bar, 550 hp tune?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Minivans? I'd walk.

And trust me, there will be NO motons, rollbar, hp tuning, etc.

Quick Reply: Forgive me my GT3 brothers for I have sinned......