Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 in Montreal. Best seats to watch the race?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

BTW, There is no tipping in Canada for services rendered. It is usually included in your bill already. I would look for it. If not, give 10% if you are feeling generous.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn, another good one! Can't forgot customary practices. I remember when my college roommate and I spent some time back in Spain where he is from and he jumped my butt but tipping generously on a bill. He said it would be considered an insult since they are paid in wages commensurate with what they would earn in tips. You can leave the "change" on a bill (i.e., $24 on $23.50) but that's it.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:40 PM
speedcat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chsu74
BTW, There is no tipping in Canada for services rendered. It is usually included in your bill already. I would look for it. If not, give 10% if you are feeling generous.
In Western Canada, it is customary to tip 15% although this might be included on the bill for large groups (8 or more). I'm pretty sure the same thing goes out East, check with your local concierge to be sure.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...Etiquette.html
Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

^ Wow! I have never been out with coworkers or suppliers who gave over 10% in tips.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Hmmmm, now after doing some "google-ing" on tipping in Montreal, it seems that it is the same as it is in the US. Roughly 15% for expected service, 20%+ for exceptional service and 10% or less for crummy service.

I'll make sure and as the concierge at the hotel when we arrive to make sure. Last thing I need is to get bitch slapped b/c I didn't ask what the proper etiquette is.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:18 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

I guess I have to stop going to crummy places.

Seriously though.. Why wouldn't tourism websites tell American tourists to do something they are used to doing from home? After all, it would be better for the host country to take in more dollars.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:34 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Hmmmm, now after doing some "google-ing" on tipping in Montreal, it seems that it is the same as it is in the US. Roughly 15% for expected service, 20%+ for exceptional service and 10% or less for crummy service.

I'll make sure and as the concierge at the hotel when we arrive to make sure. Last thing I need is to get bitch slapped b/c I didn't ask what the proper etiquette is.
Dell,

15% tips in Restaurants and bars. If you are picking up the tab for a large group it may be included on your tab (always clearly shown on the bill as SERVICE).

Don't sweat anything. You can get by easily by paying with your credit card. A hundred dollars in Canadian currency is all you'll need to take care of sundries (when cards aren't accepted... eg. hot dog stand)

David
Old 01-25-2010, 07:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Great, thanks David
Old 01-26-2010, 02:34 PM
koalaslim
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I went to my F1 debut at Canada (maybe 2000?) I got silver tickets right on the hairpin at the end of the front straight. It was a good spot because you are able to see the cars come all the way down the front straight and into the braking zone, and then through the hairpin and then accelerate out of the hairpin and out of sight. Clearly also a good spot for the start since they always pile up first corner. I had a great time walking the course and checking out different areas during the Ferrari Challenge race and the Toyota Atlantic Race, and got to see other parts of the track.

Make sure to head down to the red light district where all the clubs are the nights leading up to the race. They have F1 cars lined up on the streets and you can get up close to them. Also all the local tifosi bring out their F-cars to show off and you can see all kinds of exotics.

Also eat Poutine. It's french fries with brown gravy and cheese curds and its f-ing delicious!

Have fun!

PS also get ear plugs. I havent seen the v8's live but the v10's back then were the loudest thing I had ever heard. Serious pain in the ears even 50 feet from track.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
Don't expect the waitress to come for a second round if you think tipping is included and 10% wont get you far either. 15% is average and good restaurant with excellent service is 20 to 25%. And when you go visit the museum such as ''Chez Paré'', Supersex, Solid Gold etc, it's usually 1$ to 2$ a beer.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

maybe ill see you there, we have a group going, havent gotten tickets just yet but will be getting them the end of this week most likely, glad i read this thread, we went to the last gp there and just got general admission, but with how crappy the viewing was we plan on getting seats this year.

definately a good time up there, city is great and people are nice for the most part.

should be interesting with the new teams

and for noise, the v8s dont compare to the v10s, soo much quieter, Monaco in 02 and indy the years after were definate times for earplugs, then the switch had me bringing earplugs and taking them out after the frist corner, its still loud just not ear shattering so just bring a set in case.

dont forget binoculars, cooler/backpack,

cant believe no kimi....first coulthard then kimi, im not going to pick any more favorite drivers as they always leave.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Der ABT
cant believe no kimi....first coulthard then kimi, im not going to pick any more favorite drivers as they always leave.
What about Alonso?
Old 01-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

hah yeh hide behind that wall, there is no way ill root for him, team order bsing pretty boy. not that he isnt fast but...

I live vettle and weber as well, but i just loved how big of a jerk kimi was in interviews, he did ok in that rally car till he flipped it.

still wish kas would have a great year, Well i need to look at the driver lineups, havent been paying much attention.

hopefully will have tickets ordered this weekend.
getting excited, we are having our first daughter in march and bringing her, might as well make her deaf early on. they do make baby ear plugs dont they??
Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Me and a pal headed up! Hotel, Race Tix, and Flights all booked and ready to roll. Grandstand 24 seating. Is this all generic seating in those stands? Man, first F1 race in person and long term fan. Just Awesome. Not to mention get to see Michael run. Could not be more excited!

Question: Where to eat for around $50/person that has great food? Want to get reservations lined up now and pretty big foodie.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

We should set some time and location to meet up for a beer. There is at least 5 of us from the Cary area going.

Quick Reply: F1 in Montreal. Best seats to watch the race?