Sponsored by:

Battery Tender hookup

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:41 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Battery Tender hookup

For those who use a battery tender to keep the battery charged during extended inactivity, are you hooking up with the terminals in the engine bay or in the front at the battery? Are you leaving the front hood open for venting purposes to release the hydrogen gases (which also leaves the lights on in the trunk compartment). Just wondering because last year, even after using the battery tender, I still had to replace the battery and I wondered if it had anything to do with the bulbs staying on. That winter, I left both front hood and engine cover open (connected to terminals in rear). Thanks.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I connected my tender to the terminals being careful to attach the clips so they would not touch the hood when I then closed it. Worked out with no issues.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

+1
Old 01-11-2010, 01:39 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cig lighter
Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

You have options and should not leave the compartment lights on. Lower the driver's side window all the way down and leave the alarm off. The electrical system will hybernate after about two hours of inactivity.

1. Now you can reach inside and open the hood or engine lid with the normal switch by driver's seat and that will not activate the compartment lights.

or

2. You can reach inside and hook up to the cig lighter receptacle if you have the proper connector and charging system. Run the wire through the open window and set charger outside the car (some get a little warm when doing a full charge). Some people open the door and run the wire down and out the door sill (there is at least gap designed in the rubber door seal one can use for this near front lower section of door.

or

other variations on this theme

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...hlight=charger
Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 AM
johnr265
Pro

Thanks for the input guys. I hooked it up and gently closed the lid (I prefer the terminals in the engine bay so it is far from the battery). Is there no need then to keep the front lid open to vent the battery? I always remember the byproduct of charging the battery was hydrogen gas (and we all know it can go kaboom), thus the need for charging in a well ventilated area. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:08 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

The battery is not inside the "sealed" area under the hood. (That is why you wipe the water off the top of the battery cover after you wash the car.) So, the battery vents naturally...

I run the wire from the battery up towards the windshield and then close the hood tight.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 AM
CC911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As gt3'er stated the battery compartment is not sealed and there is a sizeable gap in the hood hinge region through which you can thread the cable with no risk of pinching the cable or damaging the rubbers. I connected the terminals permanently to the battery and have a waterproof quick release connector to connect and disconnect the tender quickly and easily.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:00 PM
johnr265
Pro

That puts me at ease. Thanks for all your input.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender hookup