Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Care and Feeding Costs of 2004/2005 GT3? Cargo Capacity of GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009 | 04:55 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I just bring tire pressure gauge, trq wrench, extra rivets for splitter, racer duct tape and helmet and off to the track. Hopefully u find one that has euro gt3 seats/ harness and bar and get a Hans- safety is upmost important. Regards. Mike
Old 12-03-2009 | 05:06 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Proper seats/bar/harness makes sense when you're pushing it at the track. My friend and I call the stock GT3 seats "Buick" seats. You slide around everywhere when you push it. The Euro GT3 seats are nice and really hold you in there. Roll bar and harness is the next progression. You can drive better when you're strapped in and can feel the car start to move. Small corrections vs big ones.

I didn't trailer for the first couple dozen track days. Only started with the trailer when I got hooked on Hoosier crack.
Old 12-03-2009 | 06:19 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Overwhelming response. Thanks, men!

Admittedly, I'm going through sticker shock with the Porsche brake parts pricing posted by Mooty and others.

BMW M3s are relatively cheap to track compared to Porsche GT3s apparently.

The mechanical locking diff rebuilds, rear tire replacements, and alignment jobs look like the big ticket items. These will be new expenses compared with the usual expenses incurred with tracking the M3.

As for racing harnesses. I had them in my heavily modded FD; hated having them visible on the road (I must have looked like a poseur boy-racer to many onlookers--and an automatic "violator" to the cops).

I've resisted modding my E36 4-door M3 b/c I swore I'd never go down the slippery slope of mods again--with any car.

Talk about Buick seats, check out the stock E36 M3 4-door's front seats. They're not much more bolstered than the normal E36 3-series "sport seats"!

Last edited by SleepRM3; 12-04-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2009 | 06:43 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I tracked my '93 FD (380 hp, same as GT3) for about 10 years. Started with it at its stock 255, and over the first 5 years built it to the 380 level. I had a roll bar and six-point harnesses in it, but never used the harnesses on the street. Like my GT3, I just stashed them in the back, and used the 3-pointer. You'll discover a whole new cost scenario with the GT3. WAY, WAY higher than the Mazda.
Old 12-03-2009 | 06:44 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Just to let u know u can still use the 3 point seatbelts for the street. IMO the euro seats are more comfortable then the stock sport seats though abit cumbersome to get in/out but u get use to it real quick. I drove it stock a few times other them rcomps and pads with srf brake fluid but gets tiring bracing one self in the sport seats. Mike
Old 12-03-2009 | 06:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

And OH YEAH- if u have the means to get a cupcar I wouldn't hesitate to get one but costs mite be higher to maintain car. Mike
Old 12-03-2009 | 07:21 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SleepRM3
Admittedly, I'm going through sticker shock with the Porsche brake parts pricing posted by Mooty and others.
Just wait. It gets more expensive as you want to go faster lol.

The 2004/2005 GT3 I hope to acquire will be driven hard on the track, but in stock trim. My wife will not tolerate riding in the GT3 with racing seats, harneses and a roll bar.
My wife actually likes the Euro seats. And, the harnesses are not used on the street, so there is no issue there.

You really should get them if you are going fast (which you will be). Note this GT3 driving endo-style (in the background). Rollbar FTW!

Old 12-03-2009 | 07:26 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by himself

My wife actually likes the Euro seats. And, the harnesses are not used on the street, so there is no issue there.

...[/yt]
My wife hated the Euro seats as it reminded her of a need to slim down a bit.
Old 12-03-2009 | 08:20 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I tracked my '93 FD (380 hp, same as GT3) for about 10 years. Started with it at its stock 255, and over the first 5 years built it to the 380 level. I had a roll bar and six-point harnesses in it, but never used the harnesses on the street. Like my GT3, I just stashed them in the back, and used the 3-pointer. You'll discover a whole new cost scenario with the GT3. WAY, WAY higher than the Mazda.
Hmm, what's your user name on the Rx7 Club forum? I went by "SleepR1" on that site.

Eventually that motor died from a small ping (running it at the ragged edge of tune at Mid Ohio, 14 psi boost)--it was glorious before I saw the black smoke coming out of the tail pipe! I cut my teeth tracking,and built a "rep" with that FD.

The last 5 years with the humbler 4-door E36 M3 have been great. I've enjoyed reliable and hasslefree running compared with the on-the-edge and fragile-tuned FD. The BMW can run and run at 95%, with no issues.

I toyed with the idea of a C6 Z06, but I can't get past how cheap the interior pieces are on that car--that--and my wife says we'll never ever have a Corvette in our garage. What can I say--the lady's got class (ha ha).
Originally Posted by himself
Just wait. It gets more expensive as you want to go faster lol.

You really should get them if you are going fast (which you will be). Note this GT3 driving endo-style (in the background). Rollbar FTW!

Oh my. I think a full rollcage is needed with that kind of "GT3 gymnastics"!

Last edited by SleepRM3; 12-04-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-03-2009 | 08:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Overwhelming response. Thanks, men!

BMW M3s are relatively cheap to track compared to Porsche GT3s apparently.

The mechanical locking diff rebuilds, rear tire replacements, and alignment jobs look like the big ticket items. These will be new expenses compared with the usual expenses incurred with tracking the M3.

As for racing harnesses. I had them in my heavily modded FD; hated having them visible on the road (I must have looked like a poseur boy-racer to many onlookers--and an automatic "violator" to the cops).

I've resisted modding my E36 4-door M3 b/c I swore I'd never go down the slippery slope of mods again--with any car.

Talk about Buick seats, check out the stock E36 M3 4-door's front seats. They're not much more bolstered than the normal E36 3-series "sport seats"! Driving the E36 M3 on a road course at full speed has gotten me in outstanding physical shape; you have to shift your weight like a side-car monkey when using only the stock 3-point belts and seats. I've driven many students Porsches with factory sports seats, and I thought the sport seats did a fine job of holding me in with the 3-point belts (driving their cars at 85% of fult tilt).

The 2004/2005 GT3 I hope to acquire will be driven hard on the track, but in stock trim. My wife will not tolerate riding in the GT3 with racing seats, harneses and a roll bar. I guess if I go that route, I might as well go full-tilt boogie and look at a local racer selling his GT3 Cup car. It's sitting at my local BMW shop looking for a new "racer/owner" (ha ha).
on avg., it is $1000 per day in a GT3.
trust me, you CANNOT drive the GT3 with the POS OEM seats. your legs will be hanging out the window with hands on str wheel due to g's.
Old 12-03-2009 | 09:20 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^ what he said : ). Mike
Old 12-03-2009 | 10:03 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmm, what's your user name on the Rx7 Club forum? I went by "SleepR1" on that site.
I toyed with the idea of a C6 Z06, but I can't get past how cheap the interior pieces are on that car--that--and my wife says we'll never ever have a Corvette in our garage. What can I say--the lady's got class (ha ha).Oh my. I think a full rollcage is needed with that kind of "GT3 gymnastics"!
I was/am jramosrx7 on the FD Forum. I visit now and again whenever I get that itch to get another one. I had the first one from '92 until '04, sold it to get into P-cars, but after 4 months bought another. The second one was already built out similar to my old one. I finally sold that one in Oct '06. Been exclusively Porsche since.

I've been threatening to sell my GT3 for some time now, and move into a kinder/gentler car since I am no longer tracking. I toyed with and ordered a Z06, but just couldn't pull the trigger on that big hunk of "iron." Then it was an AM V8 Vantage that tickled my fancy. Decided I wasn't so old that I needed such a GT. The GT3 still sits in the garage.

BTW, it'll be a learning (and humbling) experience learning how to drive the Porsche. At least, certainly was for me.
Old 12-03-2009 | 10:06 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Although Mooty is one of the most respected posters on RL (and I enjoy his posts), I have to disagree about 1)$1000/d for a track day and 2) $4000 to fix RMS. I'm just and average DE'er, not a racer, but I'd guess my cost per day for track driving are FAR less. I've driven my GT3 (now awaiting pick up by its new owner) at least 6-8 times in the past year (3-4 20 minute sessions). I'm still on my first set of R888's and they still have several days of service left. My rotors and pads are fine. I had a small leak from RMS and it cost me about $550 to have the seal replaced. It only cost me more than that because I replaced the clutch while I was in there ($2100 total). I have had the car inspected regularly and haven't skimped on maintenance.

Mooty- are you accounting for depreciation in your numbers b/c you go through the cars so quickly?

Maybe I just don't drive it hard enough. Anyway, I'm already looking for another GT3 but I certainly couldn't afford to be tracking one at $1000 a pop.
Old 12-03-2009 | 10:10 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Mooty is above and beyond in pushing the car to it's limits : ). Mike
Old 12-03-2009 | 10:17 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Although Mooty is one of the most respected posters on RL (and I enjoy his posts), I have to disagree about 1)$1000/d for a track day and 2) $4000 to fix RMS. I'm just and average DE'er, not a racer, but I'd guess my cost per day for track driving are FAR less. I've driven my GT3 (now awaiting pick up by its new owner) at least 6-8 times in the past year (3-4 20 minute sessions). I'm still on my first set of R888's and they still have several days of service left. My rotors and pads are fine. I had a small leak from RMS and it cost me about $550 to have the seal replaced. It only cost me more than that because I replaced the clutch while I was in there ($2100 total). I have had the car inspected regularly and haven't skimped on maintenance.

Mooty- are you accounting for depreciation in your numbers b/c you go through the cars so quickly?

Maybe I just don't drive it hard enough. Anyway, I'm already looking for another GT3 but I certainly couldn't afford to be tracking one at $1000 a pop.
Thanks for the dose of reality. I checked the RL classified for 996 cup cars; there's one for a firm $50K; just need to add the trailer, parts, crew, and Team "SleepR Racing" is on its way (ha ha).

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I was/am jramosrx7 on the FD Forum. I've been threatening to sell my GT3 for some time now, and move into a kinder/gentler car since I am no longer tracking. The GT3 still sits in the garage. BTW, it'll be a learning (and humbling) experience learning how to drive the Porsche. At least, certainly was for me.
Your Rx7 forum userid seems familiar we may have chatted about wheel/tire setups many years back?

Judging from the cost to run the GT3s on track, I may not be tracking the GT3 much at all (ha ha).

Last edited by SleepRM3; 12-04-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Care and Feeding Costs of 2004/2005 GT3? Cargo Capacity of GT3?