2004 GT3, 1993 RS America, 2005 ZCP M3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 04:01 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
peter, stop lying to yourself.
let see how long you will keep the CDTC.....
selling tomorrow?
Mooty

We will see how it goes Sunday @ Sebring. Looking forward to cheap disposables such as a tires @ $650 set, pads @ $350 set, rotors @ $80 each. The commercial property business (owner managed) is sort of slow right now. I swear I won't mod the car any more.

Besides if I ever make it out west it will pass sound @ Laguna

Peter
Old 12-28-2009, 06:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Mooty

We will see how it goes Sunday @ Sebring. Looking forward to cheap disposables such as a tires @ $650 set, pads @ $350 set, rotors @ $80 each. The commercial property business (owner managed) is sort of slow right now. I swear I won't mod the car any more.
right, i had e36m3, moton and all. it was cheap... until that pos lost #6 bearing at sears point. and sears isn't a big G track....

fuel starvation with 1/3 tank fuel.

with moton on rear, changing the pads is so hard, bolt blocked by shock, i rather just buy another car instead of changing pads.

are you the broker for CM property or are you the owner managing them. either way, 2010 will be your year, just keep buying.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

right, i had e36m3, moton and all. it was cheap... until that pos lost #6 bearing at sears point. and sears isn't a big G track....

fuel starvation with 1/3 tank fuel.

with moton on rear, changing the pads is so hard, bolt blocked by shock, i rather just buy another car instead of changing pads.

are you the broker for CM property or are you the owner managing them. either way, 2010 will be your year, just keep buying.
We own what we rent. I had an E46M3 and it was cheap until I threw a rod @ Roebliing Road.

Peter
Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepRM3
I posted a similar thread in the 964 Forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-2004-gt3.html

In this version of the thread, I'd like your thoughts on your GT3 ownership experience compared with having a chance to own an RS America or 2005 "competition" package, (ZCP) M3.

This would be a "third car" that's used for fun touring trips, and as an instructor car for PCA DEs. I'm not looking for a race-prepped 911 (no pull vehicle, and I don't have the coin to PCA club race), but am looking for a solid, reliable, driver's 911.

I'm not in a rush to pull the trigger, as used car depreciation works in my favor, except for the RS America--prices seem to have flattened for nice low-optioned, low-mileage examples (between $35K and $39K).

Thanks.
If RSA's are going for anywhere near the asking prices, I'd go with a GT3. On the other hand, consumables will be less costly for the RSA.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:11 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

RSA=slow
GT3=fast

To me its a simple as......do you want to date a fat chick or a thin chick? The RSA is a vintage car, great car but still a conversation piece. The RSA is not a performance car when you look at the line up of todays performance cars.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:18 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ so RSA is vintage conversion piece... is that like audrey hepburn... i dig it... the woman not the car.

GT3 would be jolie?.... in that case i take the car over the woman.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:11 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schmidtwerk
RSA=slow
GT3=fast

To me its a simple as......do you want to date a fat chick or a thin chick? The RSA is a vintage car, great car but still a conversation piece. The RSA is not a performance car when you look at the line up of todays performance cars.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Anyone who has driven both knows the answer to this question...
Old 01-01-2010, 06:14 AM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with an RSA its a great car for what it is. Is the last of the great hand crafted upright head light cars. It feels and looks like an old Porsche. The GT3 may as well be a different manufacture. The RSA would be a great driver Porsche to love and enjoy, the GT3 is simply a tool and a weapon.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:40 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

RSA's are old but learning to drive an RSA and getting over 9/10's out it is far more rewarding than driving a 996 GT3 and getting 8/10's out of it but feeling like you're Patrick Long....when the reality is you're not even close. Master an old school Porsche (as much as any of us older Paul Newman wannabes can) and you're driving skills will really show when you move into a new, faster Porsche.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

RSA=slow
GT3=fast

My RSA weighed LESS than my GT3 so wouldn't she be considered the thin chick?

And by the way, I have driven my GT3 and RSA to the absolute limits and can say that while the GT3 is blazing fast and a scalpel on the track, the RSA was way more rewarding to drive at the limit. I would be exhausted, sweating, and feeling like I just did the impossible. Does that mean I preferred the RSA. HELL NO! Just different. Both great cars.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

RSA=slow
GT3=fast

I have to disagree a little bit. One thing is certain, the RSA has held its value firmly for over 5 years. A low option RSA is a 5 second car that weighs at least 400 pounds less than the GT3 or M3. My RSA was as fast on the track as many guys in GT3's- likely rookies. However, it really depends on where you are on the learning curve, too. I hear that at Chin Motorsports events GT3s are damaged in DE's than any other model. GT3 is a lot of car for the beginner. An RSA is a great learning car and the value will not change without a shunt. RSA operating cost is cheaper than a GT3 and similar to an M3 for DEs.
A stockish compM3 would be a good learning car too. Just different. All three are sexy and fun on the street and track and either way, you won't go wrong.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:18 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
I have to disagree a little bit. One thing is certain, the RSA has held its value firmly for over 5 years. A low option RSA is a 5 second car that weighs at least 400 pounds less than the GT3 or M3. My RSA was as fast on the track as many guys in GT3's- likely rookies. However, it really depends on where you are on the learning curve, too. I hear that at Chin Motorsports events GT3s are damaged in DE's than any other model. GT3 is a lot of car for the beginner. An RSA is a great learning car and the value will not change without a shunt. RSA operating cost is cheaper than a GT3 and similar to an M3 for DEs.
A stockish compM3 would be a good learning car too. Just different. All three are sexy and fun on the street and track and either way, you won't go wrong.
counterpoint.

M3 is probably the safest car to learn in of the three discussed. you really have to screw up royally to go off. and of course, my biggest off was in a prepped M3 hahaha, but that's a story for another day.

i have driven RSA and GT3 of all vintage over thousands of track miles. the running cost of RSA/GT3 is not that far off. body panels are equally $$$, but the tires are narrow and smaller on RSA so are the pads and rotors. thus that save you a bit of money. 6gt3 is still dropping in price while RSA has stablized. so dep'n is a bigger issue on the GT3 and not so much on RSA.

which car is faster? given the same driver, there is no way in hell RSA is faster (equal prep of course). but then again we are talking cars 10 years apart so that's not really fair.

the "wrecking record" of GT3 is think is not entirely accurate. here is my guess, i could be way off....

many newbies wants hp, they dont care why they are fast as long as they are fast. so they buy GT3. you look at RSA drivers, i would venture to say 85% of them are veteran porsche guys. so with more newbies in GT3, you see more crashes. if you put the same buy in a RSA, i bet you my pink slip, he will crash just the same. and in fact, the RSA is harder car to drive at the limit so he would crash even more or sooner.

just my two cents and general rambling.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

which car is faster? given the same driver, there is no way in hell RSA is faster (equal prep of course). but then again we are talking cars 10 years apart so that's not really fair.
I can speak from personal experience. My GT3 was about as race prepped (minus a full cage and new slicks) as you can get as was my RSA. On the SAME track (VIR full) under the same conditions with me running at the absolute limit possible My time delta was 5.5 seconds. The RSA was actually faster in some of the technical sections because it weighed about 250# less. But on the straights and the braking abilities, the GT3 was in a class by itself.

...and in fact, the RSA is harder car to drive at the limit so he would crash even more or sooner.
100% agree. That RSA made me work 100% of the time to keep it at the limit and was a serious f'in workout. I'd get out of the car exhausted and sweating up a storm. In the GT3, to keep it at the limit only took a level of skill to take it there and then large attachments to keep it there. Once done with a session, you felt like you were refreshed
Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 PM
techno99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold

We will see how it goes Sunday @ Sebring. Looking forward to cheap disposables such as a tires @ $650 set, pads @ $350 set, rotors @ $80 each.

Peter
So how did it go. I was there but unable to drive on Sunday due to a cracked rotor on Saturday. Back again at Winterfest this weekend, with new rotors and warmer temps.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

counterpoint.

the "wrecking record" of GT3 is think is not entirely accurate. here is my guess, i could be way off....

many newbies wants hp, they dont care why they are fast as long as they are fast. so they buy GT3. you look at RSA drivers, i would venture to say 85% of them are veteran porsche guys. so with more newbies in GT3, you see more crashes. if you put the same buy in a RSA, i bet you my pink slip, he will crash just the same. and in fact, the RSA is harder car to drive at the limit so he would crash even more or sooner.

just my two cents and general rambling.
It sounds to me that we agree. RSA is certainly not as fast, same driver same track same day, but a great learning car. I wouldn't recommend a newb (less than 10 track days) get a GT3 to learn the track hobby.

Originally Posted by LVDell
I can speak from personal experience. My GT3 was about as race prepped (minus a full cage and new slicks) as you can get as was my RSA. On the SAME track (VIR full) under the same conditions with me running at the absolute limit possible My time delta was 5.5 seconds. The RSA was actually faster in some of the technical sections because it weighed about 250# less. But on the straights and the braking abilities, the GT3 was in a class by itself.

100% agree. That RSA made me work 100% of the time to keep it at the limit and was a serious f'in workout. I'd get out of the car exhausted and sweating up a storm. In the GT3, to keep it at the limit only took a level of skill to take it there and then large attachments to keep it there. Once done with a session, you felt like you were refreshed
Hey Dell, so what you're saying is part of the reason I'm so friggin' fast is that I learned in an RSA. Right? Isn't that what you're saying

Quick Reply: 2004 GT3, 1993 RS America, 2005 ZCP M3?