Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do these ppi results mean ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Cumulative total engine ignitions with time of last recording listed in hours. Analysis of possible engine damage from Range 2 is difficult because the maximum rpm value is not recorded. There is a factor of safety between the rpm limit and the actual rpm level where the valves “float” or some other mechanical issue occurs.

Range 1: engine ignitions at electronic limiter
Range 2: engine ignitions over specified rpm
Outside rpm range (upper range): in hours [time of last Range 1 recording]
Outside rpm range (lower range): in hours [I believe this is time of last Range 2 recording]

Governed Engine Speed 1-4 gears is 8200 rpm and 5-6 gears, 8000 rpm
Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 PM
abg123
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also remember a few posts where type 2 ignitions can be deleted from the cars memory....?? maybe some more knowledgeable rennlisters can chime in on this. 805 type 1's seems EXTREMELY low
Old 11-24-2009, 11:15 PM
user 8830374
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleifer
Guys,
I'm just checking out a ppi report of a 6GT3 which I'm interested in. I will go to check out the car personally but in the meantime the owner sent me copies of a ppi report. Murat
So did you get the car?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:13 AM
Nordschleifer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I´m on a business trip in Europe at the moment. As you can see still checking out rennlist from over here !! When I get back next week I will schedule a ppi and if things work out I will make the deal. White 6GT3, 10000 miles, one owner with Euro cloth GT3 seats, Techquipment bar, Schroth harnesses, lots of records available asking 59000. What do you guys think ?
Murat
Old 11-25-2009, 09:48 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you guys think ?
Buy it before somebody else does.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Guys,
I'm just checking out a ppi report of a 6GT3 which I'm interested in. I will go to check out the car personally but in the meantime the owner sent me copies of a ppi report. I'm particularly interested in these statements in the report:
Number of ignitions range 1 = 805
Number of ignitions range 2 = 0
Outside rpm range (upper range) 246.8 h
Outside rpm range (lower range) 0
I guess that these figures make a statement about if the engine has been overreved but I'm not sure about that so any feedback is very welcome.
Murat
Hmmm... when I did the DME dump, this is what it came up with. So translation is, as I was told, that for 577 hours of engine runtime, the rev limiter was hit 504 times... or almost once an hour!
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2009, 05:20 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mabuhay
Hmmm... when I did the DME dump, this is what it came up with. So translation is, as I was told, that for 577 hours of engine runtime, the rev limiter was hit 504 times... or almost once an hour!
Like what was said before, there are 410 ignition firings per second. In your case, probably all 504 ignition firings happened at one event at hour #577 in it's life (fairly recently). Considering that it takes a moment for the driver to register that he's bouncing off the rev limiter....then it takes another moment to get off the gas and get the clutch in to shift, to me this seems like there was one case of bouncing off the rev limiter in the life of this car in all 600 hours of it's life. That's very easy driving.

Cheers,
Old 11-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Nordschleifer
Instructor

Guys,
the owner just pulled out. He decided not to sell the car anymore ! I was just getting ready to join the club. It´s a shame. I will keep looking and keep you updated.
Murat
Old 11-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Like what was said before, there are 410 ignition firings per second. In your case, probably all 504 ignition firings happened at one event at hour #577 in it's life (fairly recently). Considering that it takes a moment for the driver to register that he's bouncing off the rev limiter....then it takes another moment to get off the gas and get the clutch in to shift, to me this seems like there was one case of bouncing off the rev limiter in the life of this car in all 600 hours of it's life. That's very easy driving.

Cheers,
Allan, can you explain the math again?

1) First, where did you get the value of 410 ignitions per second? Can you explain in laymen's terms?

2) So how do we tell how many times the rev limiter was hit over the life of the car?
Old 11-27-2009, 12:21 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mabuhay
Allan, can you explain the math again?

1) First, where did you get the value of 410 ignitions per second? Can you explain in laymen's terms?

2) So how do we tell how many times the rev limiter was hit over the life of the car?
1) 8200rpm redline. That's when the rev limiter kicks in.

8200rpm / 60 seconds per minute = 136.6 revolutions of the crankshaft per second

There is one ignition firing per 120 degrees of crankshaft rotation.
There are 3 ignition firings per single full crankshaft rotation.

136.6 rotations per second * 3 ignition firings per rotation = 410 ignition firings per second

2) You can't. At least not that I'm aware of. You will know how long the car spend bouncing off the rev limiter over its life but you won't know whether that was done over a couple events or a couple dozen events. However, when I bounced off the rev limiter on my car like I said before, it takes a moment to react to that so I expect each single event to be a minimum of at least a second (400-ish type 1's). Typical event is probably a bit longer.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: What do these ppi results mean ?