Sponsored by:

Tow Vehicle BMW X5 3.0 or Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:36 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Tow Vehicle BMW X5 3.0 or Cayenne

I am looking for advise on tow vehicles for my 996 GT3. To set the stage lets say I would purchase an Aluminum open Trailer. I currently do not trailer my car, but for various reasons I am getting to that point. I would probably tow the car about 6 times a year to DE events.

I am thinking about purchasing an X5 or Cayenne to tow my GT3. I know these cars say they can tow 6,000 lbs, but I am a little skeptical. This figure is probably based on the right balance and other optimal factors. Quite frankly I have not seen too many X5's or Cayenne's towing cars at DE's. I mainly see more of the F150 or larger vehicles.

This new car would be replacing a BMW 530i and would be a daily driver for my wife. The extra room would help out with the kids.

So, could either of these base cars safely tow my car alone with things like an extra set of tires and other basic equiptment? I am leaning towards an X5 from a cost standpoint, but are open to consider a Cayenne.

Also, want about electronic brakes for the trailer. Is this something a dealer would install or would I have to get this after market.

Please let me know your thoughts and other factors I should consider.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:15 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turbo cayenne. the basic cayenne is a pig.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Hitch and Brake controller manufacturers recommend against installing Brake Controllers in BMWs. They just don't like them.

Cayennes make better tow vehicles because of the slightly longer wheelbase and I believe the Cayenne offers a higher tow rating at 7700#.

Don't get the dealer to install a brake controller. They won't know what it is. Go to a major hitch shop. Cayennes are tricky though and they don't like LED lights. Do a search on the Cayenne forum for info.

We recently did a few brake controllers (we've sold almost 300 since January) on an Audi Q7. Nice vehicle.

You may want to consider the Lexus GX470 or LX470 or the Toyota Land Cruiser or 4 Runner. It's easier (read cheaper) to make the hitch stuff work properly on them. With an open aluminum car trailer I'd feel confident towing it with any of the vehicles mentioned save the BMW but I'd be leaning towards the Toyotas/Lexi.

This is pretty informative: Trailer Life Guide To Towing

Towing a Trailer by the NHTSA

Some more info: http://www.primotrailersales.com/hitch_wiring.shtml <- my company
Old 08-19-2009, 11:47 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

you might look at the MB Gl 320 TDI. 400lb of trq. 26mpg@ 70mph. Towing you will still get over 16mpg
Old 08-20-2009, 01:40 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

here is a picture fo the trailer I just bought used -- previous owner towed it with an x5 and sold the x5 to get a Toyota Seqoia (sp?)

He told me that X5 trans is a known weakspot etc... that being said he did tow this trailer (approx 1750 lbs) with the car pictured (approx 2500 lbs) behind an x5 to LS, Miller, PIR, Spokane etc...

now I tow this trailer with a 2007 F150 (9000 lb tow rating with a brake controller) and it is fine but certainly notice the trailer is back there.

So can it be done with an X5 -- sure
A guy we track with pulls a 22 foot Alum enclosed with a 997-3 and 2 extras sets of wheel and tires with a cayenne GTS
If you are thinking X5 or Cayenne -- I would go Cayenne

Also, 6 times a year will likely become more times a year once you fall in love with a trailer

Old 08-20-2009, 01:45 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

and you said X5 3.0 (6cyl) -- no way
maybe the x5d(iesel) or the V8 but no way with a 6 cyl regardless of tow rating
In a 6 cyl the handling dynamics change if you have adults in the back seat basically...

Diesel as Roberga mentioned or V8

I did 5.5 hours from ORP to Seattle in a 5.4 v8 F150 and got 12 mpg cruising at 2500 rpms.... you will be working that v6 very hard to keep pace...

Good Luck -- the trailer will change your life in terms of DE days....
Old 08-20-2009, 03:06 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

At 6 de's a year I rather drive there. Now if 20-30+ trailer is the way to go. Mike ps- me trailering I would go for a v8. Had no issues towing my 6gt3 with open trailer with Cayenne S. Mike
Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

All good comments and the results are pretty much as I expected. I would probably need to step up to a V8 X5 xDrive48i or Cayenne S, and better choice would be some of the cars mentioned for this application. No wonder I don't see many X5's or Cayenne's towing cars for DE's. The other minor issue is if I get one of these V8's then I am stuck with poor gas milage for a daily driver car.

I probably do around 15 events a year, and I figured 6 days would be away to WGI (280 miles). With a trailer I could try VIR and LCMT. No fun driving up/home on MPSC tires in the rain.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Camber
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on Mercedes diesels. I have an ML320 CDI. It tows a GT3 on a trailex open trailer as if the car wasn't even back there. The ML gets 29 highway at 60 MPH and I have averaged 24 MPG over the last 15,000 miles including towing. The downside? Mercedes steering and brakes have no feel, so they're not particularly fun to drive. But, for the purpose of hauling kids, cars, and feeling controlled and efficient, they're pretty hard to beat.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i had a 2009 cayenne GTS.
i installed a tekonsha primus controller. it operated just fine NO LED light issues and NO "!" marks.
there was no trick to install. just find a good hitch shop.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This has been discussed at length in both the Racing/DE forum and the P!g Pen (Cayenne forum).

In summary:

There is no substitute for wheelbase.

Respected RL member 'skl' towed an enclosed aluminum ATC with a Cayenne, as have a few others, the majority who use a P!g to tow do so with open aluminum trailers.

The brake controller install has been documented/detailed many times, including issues with Tekonsha Prodigy controllers and the in vehicle bulb diagnostic system.

PASM is preferred, but not essential. Mileage will be 9-10, range about 180-220, 6th gear is almost useless, manual Tiptronic shifting recommended, the transmission has no 'tow' mode and LED trailer lights will likely result in a "!" Check Trailer Lights warning on the dashboard. You will need clip on mirror extenders in order to properly (and in some instances) legally see vehicles behind you.

Yes, you can tow with a short wheelbase vehicle like a P!g and think you're OK, but tow the same trailer/car with a proper tow vehicle and you will be surprised at the differences, especially when things "get interesting".
Old 08-20-2009, 12:52 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

look for a used diesel toureg (VW) they have like 700 lb ft of torque and get decent daily mileage... not to mention that they are total sleepers... a guy in Seattle has one doing 700HP on biodiesel with no issues...
Old 08-20-2009, 03:48 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

Hard to beat an american truck with a diesel motor in it for towing. You can find a nice quad cab one for cheap now as well.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I moved from a Cayenne to an Escalade for towing. There is no substitute for wheelbase and power. With that said, I towed JUST FINE with my Cayenne. As long as you understand the wheelbase is not optimal and just drive at a slower clip you will be fine. Anything over 65 and I didn't feel "safe" in the Cayenne. If you get a Cayenne, I would suggest the S or GTS over the Turbo as towing will put a tremendous strain on the turbos as they spool.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

x5's only rated to tow 6k pounds, cayenne is better at 7716, in either case, the engine size doesn't increase or decrease anything. I would go for the Porsche between those two.

what kind of Escalade do you have Dell? I know it is a new one, but what wheelbase/2 or awd? I was shocked to see the tow ratings on those things, they are barely more than a cayenne, and in some configurations less. very strange. i guess you said it does ok though.

my tundra is rated at 10,300, it does very nice with my open trailer.

Last edited by Mike Buck; 08-20-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Tow Vehicle BMW X5 3.0 or Cayenne