Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

offsets on the 996 GT2 (moving from 12J to 11J)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:48 AM
GT2Dan
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default offsets on the 996 GT2 (moving from 12J to 11J)

i have a 2003 Mk1 996 GT2. i think the current wheel width is 12J & tyre 315/30/18.

i am moving to a Dymag wheel which don't have the 12J size. i am therefore opting for the 11J but staying on the same tyre of 315/30/18.

does anyone know the standard stock offsets for the 996 GT2 are and, bearing in mind that the same tyre is going on, what the new offset should be.

cheers!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:42 AM
gt2gt2gt2
5th Gear

8.5x18 ET 40 front, and 12x18 ET 45 rear

Your car may handle like a pig afterwards and there is VERY little margin for error when it comes to GT2 wheels and tyres.

There are reasons Porsche fitted the GT2 with these wheels 1) To improve the handling 2) reduce weight(the GT2's wheels are lighter than the Turbo's)

3rd party wheels usually add weight to a 911.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 539 Likes on 352 Posts

Best bet is to upgrade to OEM 04-05 style.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:28 PM
GT2Dan
5th Gear

i'm buying the Dymag Carbon Fibre wheel. i very much doubt that it'll add weight!!! also the same tyre...ie 315 will be fitted... i'm confident the handling will be suberb and i'll wave as i pass u all!!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

The performance benefit you'd gain from even wheels that weighed only 1 pound each would be negligible compared to the performance hit you are going to get from not supporting your tire by going from 12 to 11 inches. Feel and ultimate grip will be reduced even when using the same tire on a smaller rim.

I'm not one to think that you can't mess with Porsche's specs. My 930 came with 7s and 8s which I've replaced by 9s and 11s and would rather have 10s and 12s. However, there is no question that any weight reduction is not worth a more narrow rim in terms of handling. Guys with 30 pound 12 inch rear wheels will pass you.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:58 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 539 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2Dan
i'm buying the Dymag Carbon Fibre wheel. i very much doubt that it'll add weight!!! also the same tyre...ie 315 will be fitted... i'm confident the handling will be suberb and i'll wave as i pass u all!!
The only reason you might pass someone will be because your wallet will be lighter. Chances are you would never pass anyone with your logic.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:36 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHAHAHA right.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 PM
GT2Dan
5th Gear

oh well... i always like saying i told you so! they're great!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

I wish fast laps for the original poster! Those are light wheels indeed!

Originally Posted by Yargk
Guys with 30 pound 12 inch rear wheels will pass you.
Don't exaggerate. It is true, that best handling feedback comes with the widest possible recommended wheels you can fit to your tires. However, in the case of 315/30/18, many tires are not officially even specced to fit a 12" wheel. In that sense, 315 and 11" combination is not inappropriate...

I would skip Dymags for other reasons. Many friends have bought them for track but nobody uses them anymore because of leaks etc. constant rebuilding...

Another thing, I must say is that the effect of lighter wheel weight is perhaps exaggarated as well. This opinion comes from the lap time data: Pros seem to drive well even with "heavy OEM" wheels. I haven't seen any lap time improvement data from lighter wheels alone (of course there may be that kind of data, but in most cases it's amateur behind the wheel who has improved skills as well...)
Old 05-07-2010, 05:46 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kaizu

Don't exaggerate. It is true, that best handling feedback comes with the widest possible recommended wheels you can fit to your tires. However, in the case of 315/30/18, many tires are not officially even specced to fit a 12" wheel. In that sense, 315 and 11" combination is not inappropriate...
I don't think I am exaggerating. Even if the tire is not spec'ed to fit a 12, if it does, in fact, fit (which it does, it's oem), you should be getting more tire on the ground due to less roll over, etc, with the 12. I actually would guess that 30 pound 12 inch wide wheels would go faster around a track than 15 pound 11s. Anyone want to try?

11.5 inch 15 pound wheels vs. 12 inch 30 pound wheels would be a tougher call, but a full inch is huge.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:54 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

oh well... i always like saying i told you so! they're great!!!
So you did a back to back track comparison and your lap times decreased?! How much?

You can buy whatever wheels you want, more power to you. When people warned you about handling, they were just trying to help. From everything I've read and my own experience, width trumps weight, (buy the lightest out of the widest that will fit, btw funny thing is that the car sometimes feels slower after going wider, but you're going faster!).

Most of the people on the GT3/2 boards are just interested in what's fast so if you say something like "they're great," or "I'll pass you all," it's completely useless without data. It's worse than useless because it's hinting that there is some benefit, when again, you have no quantitative information.

It's better to say something like "I don't know, they feel okay, but man do they look cool."
Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yargk
So you did a back to back track comparison and your lap times decreased?! How much?

You can buy whatever wheels you want, more power to you. When people warned you about handling, they were just trying to help. From everything I've read and my own experience, width trumps weight, (buy the lightest out of the widest that will fit, btw funny thing is that the car sometimes feels slower after going wider, but you're going faster!).

Most of the people on the GT3/2 boards are just interested in what's fast so if you say something like "they're great," or "I'll pass you all," it's completely useless without data. It's worse than useless because it's hinting that there is some benefit, when again, you have no quantitative information.

It's better to say something like "I don't know, they feel okay, but man do they look cool."
He hasen't a clue, can't you tell already? Especially by his obnoxious postings??

Handling is great LOL, compared to what, an 18 wheeler?

Going down from OEM spec and sizing just for a set of BLING cf wheels that CRACK just by looking at them is definitely a "smart move".. But of course, I doubt he drives the car like it's meant too so he won't have an issue sitting at a cars and coffee parking lot.

All the best

Quick Reply: offsets on the 996 GT2 (moving from 12J to 11J)