Sponsored by:

Baseline Dyno Runs - 2004 996 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:31 PM
jazzyfunkykool
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apochiraju
And even the manufacturers zero to 60mph in 4.5 seconds is also something that everyone cant achieve, even though manufacturers claim another number.
Huh? The motortrend test for '04 that tested a 6GT3 against a Ferrari Race Spec actually got a 0-60 of 3.9.

4.5 is actually the SLOWEST 0-60 number I've read for a 6GT3. Usually the consensus seems to be around 4.0-4.3 from CD, RT, AW and MT. I think Top Gear's test of 6GT3 is close to 4 flat if I remember correctly.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:15 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
I think that dynos not calibrated correctly. Sorry.

Porsche engines make quoted power pretty much on the nail from the runs I've seen in the UK. The only times they surpassed is with remaps etc. Its nice to kid ourselves, but that is what it is. Still beats audi/ferrari etc who massively overquote lol....
Take the numbers for what they are - some numbers. And if your GT3 pulls lower numbers - which puts you more in line with Porsche figures - good for you! That will be your baseline!

-td
Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 PM
apochiraju
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

4.5s is a random number, I was giving an analogy, not talking bout gt3's time. Sorry if that confused you guys.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

The drivetrain loss is so arbitrary numbers can be manipulated. If u want accurate results blueprint your engine and do an engine dyno. Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 03:24 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
My runs on a Dynamics dyno showed 323 rwhp. Corrected by 15% gives 380 hp exactly.

My very limited experience with others running on Mustang dynos shows very optimistic numbers. Nonetheless, these dyno runs are only good to show what mods do for your car. In fact, what mods do for your car with pulls immediately after one another, no mod to mod. As you note, this does give you a baseline.
Yeah I got 380 exactly on a dyno dynamics.I have seen some bigger numbers on them but they've always had remaps etc.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:36 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

4th gear in these car's are actually suppose to be the correct gear to do a dyno pull in, so tons of info said on 6speed and my shop who worked on my 996tt who dyno'd my car...

Great numbers!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:30 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There are giant differences between dynos. Just research it. Mustang is VERY optimistic. Dyno Dynamics is known as being VERY true.

Any given Dyno can really only be used as a baseline for that car, on that dyno on that day. For example, if you are trying to determin the effect of mods.

I dont own a 911 anymore (went back to an NSX), but I can tell you that my NSX dynoed at 325rwhp at Comptechs site (Dyno Dynamics) the day the supercharger was installed and then a bit later dynoed at 360rwhp on a Mustang dyno at another shop. Only a difference of a few months. Same altitude, temps, etc. So there is a giant variance (not even considering calibration issues).
Old 08-14-2009, 05:48 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mlambert890
There are giant differences between dynos. Just research it. Mustang is VERY optimistic. Dyno Dynamics is known as being VERY true.
I did a bit of research before choosing a Mustang dyno, and didn't see any discussions that a Mustang dyno was optimistic compared to a DD. I would be interested to read some technical info stating that. [I did see a bunch of discussions that intertia dynos may give bigger numbers though].

FWIW, both both DD and Mustang are eddy current load dynos - and both are regarded as providing close to real world numbers assuming proper load-setting the dyno for runs. In fact, Dynojet has also recently offered a loading dyno. IMO, most reputable shops can properly load-set on a Mustang or DD, and the results (for either dyno) do not end up "VERY optimistic."

my NSX dynoed at 325rwhp at Comptechs site (Dyno Dynamics)
[...]
dynoed at 360rwhp on a Mustang dyno at another shop.
Are these apples to apples numbers? I.e., are they both uncorrected? or both corrected? To me, it looks like it might show uncorrected for DD and corrected for Mustang vs a wild variation. Or it could be a function of the operator and/or load-setup, and not the dyno (since both operate on the same principle). And assuming the mean value is actually correct, this means that DD was 5% low and Mustang was 5% high, which could be conditions, or gas, or who knows.

-td

Quick Reply: Baseline Dyno Runs - 2004 996 GT3