Sponsored by:

GT3 at NJMP this past weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:14 PM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Default GT3 at NJMP this past weekend?

There was a silver GT3 at NJMP (Thunderbolt) this past weekend with the Audi Club and I was wondering if the owner posted here?

I was curious about tire wear on the drivers side rear. Mine was really excessive. I will say though, that track is a blast! It was my first time there and there is still lots of speed to be found.

-KJ
Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That be me. Haven't seen anything excessive but am pulling the wheels off today to do a brake bleed and swap sides. I'll know more later when I really examine them.
That place is brutal on rubber. My tires were newer and my camber is 3.25f/2.75r. Last season when I went there with less camber and older rubber the tires got corded on the outsides quickly.
It is like running around on sandpaper there.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:45 PM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry i didn't get a chance to come meet you. Having 2 students is rough!
I was in the #27 996 C2.
I was on some R888s that already had about 28 HCs on them. They still had decent tread but when I finished my last session the left rear looked like a slick! The right rear was pretty bad off but not nearly as slick as the left rear. My buddies were swearing my alignment was off but the car felt so good i didn't think that was the case. I'm going to have that checked next week when I get the car to the shop.
Thanks for your feedback!

-KJ
Old 05-19-2009, 09:55 AM
CT03911
Banned

My tires are more uniformly worn from this time at NJMP vs last time, attributable to the increase in camber I believe. I looked them over pretty well last night.
Nothing abnormal from front to rear. I will say that with the newer tires I had it is harder to tell. Last year I brought tires I thought had a few days left in them and corded them on session #2 the first day. That made it really easy to tell how abrasive that place is. Your car looked and sounded great.
I had the tough duty of instructing in the black and orange RS :-)
Old 05-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Smindustries
Advanced

Originally Posted by KJinDC
Sorry i didn't get a chance to come meet you. Having 2 students is rough!
I was in the #27 996 C2.
I was on some R888s that already had about 28 HCs on them. They still had decent tread but when I finished my last session the left rear looked like a slick! The right rear was pretty bad off but not nearly as slick as the left rear. My buddies were swearing my alignment was off but the car felt so good i didn't think that was the case. I'm going to have that checked next week when I get the car to the shop.
Thanks for your feedback!

-KJ
Hi KJ,

What were your pressures at when hot? I caught this press release from Toyo before I left for the track and set my pressures a little higher than they recommended, but the tires still look great:

http://www.casc.on.ca/documents/prox...essrelease.pdf

If I recall correctly, my fronts were at 36 and rears at 40 (hot). The grip was great, albeit my tires were pretty new, having approximately 700 miles of street driving on them.

Originally Posted by CT03911
My tires are more uniformly worn from this time at NJMP vs last time, attributable to the increase in camber I believe. I looked them over pretty well last night.
Nothing abnormal from front to rear. I will say that with the newer tires I had it is harder to tell. Last year I brought tires I thought had a few days left in them and corded them on session #2 the first day. That made it really easy to tell how abrasive that place is. Your car looked and sounded great.
I had the tough duty of instructing in the black and orange RS :-)
Thanks again, Dennis. Your tutelage really made the weekend for me.

-Chris
Old 05-19-2009, 04:16 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it the design of the track (curves, etc) that is shredding the tires, or the actual surface material itself?

I'm planning on going down next weekend.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
CT03911
Banned

Chris, I agree, I think 36/40 is what you had, maybe a pound less in the rears a session or two. Your tire wear looked to be right where you want it on the edges. Thanks again, that was a seriously good time. Nice GT3 RS. Oh, the sound it makes wide open.....

sws1, my opinion of the track is that the asphalt surface has an abrasive character. Sure, it's new (one year?), but so is Monticello. I drove there two weeks ago when it's surface was only two weeks old and it seemed a lot smoother. A contributing factor may be all the sand near NJMP.
While grass is growing and the blowing sand concern of last year is over, it is by it's very nature a sandy location. There has to be some on the track which would contribute to abrasivness.

The track is fun, the surface will polish over time. For now consider swapping lefts for rights if you tire allows that after day 1 and you are pushing them hard.

Quick Reply: GT3 at NJMP this past weekend?