Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 656 Likes on 204 Posts

Hello all,

Again, really sorry if this is causing anyone problems. The internal vanes MUST always face in the backwards sweeping direction regardless of the outer machining.

If anybodys set of rotors were overheated or damaged because of this confusion, just give me a ring I and I will get you a replacement set ASAP.

Lets keep this on the up and up and nip the problems in the bud. OK?

Thanks
Rick DeMan

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 05-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default uh oh

Okay, to clarify then the picture in the previous post is backwards

Here is how I installed mine as per guidance, looks like they are also backwards

I ran these this way at Thunderhill yesterday and my fluid got very hot and the pedal went soft and almost to the floow. I guess now I know why
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 656 Likes on 204 Posts

Hey there,

Yes, they are backwards...the internal veins are not working when mounted like that.

Swap them and if they are at all damaged and not useable I will replace them. If they are OK, I will give you a nice discount on the next set for your trouble.

And Guys, please stay away from that Super Blue fluid, it really is no better than the stock stuff. SRF is the only way to go...
Old 05-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Okay, to clarify then the picture in the previous post is backwards

Here is how I installed mine as per guidance, looks like they are also backwards

I ran these this way at Thunderhill yesterday and my fluid got very hot and the pedal went soft and almost to the floow. I guess now I know why
Wait so in this picture the rotor should be on the passenger side?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:11 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

One more point to clarify. The air flow enters the brake disk near the hub area, travels through the inside of the disk, exits at the outer circumference of the disk, and finally exhausts through the open areas of the wheel.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
One more point to clarify. The air flow enters the brake disk near the hub area, travels through the inside of the disk, exits at the outer circumference of the disk, and finally exhausts through the open areas of the wheel.
Ok, I get it now. It's a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_pump
Old 05-02-2009, 08:01 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

This can be done with straight cooling passages or curved cooling passages that increase the pumping efficiency. The stock Porsche disks have curved passages and hence there are left and right side disks.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I understand everyone here, pictures in posts #12 and #17 are both installed backwards (even though all we see in #12 is the slots, we all know the vanes likely face "forward" as well.
This reversed direction is how I ran my rotors last fall. It is also when I had my first episode of soft brakes. I thought because my pads were thin (okay really thin) and the last session I ran last year was surely the quickest I've ever run (think perfect track, the Glen and 2 GT3's and an R8 running nose to tail for 45 miles) that they got so hot they faded. Like I said, I have never had really obvious fade to where you say, that's it, done, to the garage like I had that day. While there were the other factors, reversed rotors don't help.
I month or so ago my car was inspected and the shop reversed my rotors - slots and vanes all flowing towards the rear of the car, telling me they were on backwards.
I just checked the 2nd set of DeMan rotors I have out of the original order and they are indeed labled backwards but have never been used so no problem.
I believe I have six days on the set on the car that they ran backwards. Is there any reason to be concerned that the elevated heat may have harmed them? Wear has been good so far and again, I only had a soft pedal one session.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Rick is a standup guy who I have had very good experience with in the past. I know these issues can be frustrating, but I think this was an honest miscommunication of info on here. I just want to vouch for one of the vendors who will back up his product 100%.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:10 PM
CT03911
Banned

I too have the same opinion of Rick. He offered us rotors at a fantastic price/performance point. He has been 1st class in every aspect I have dealt with him in.
Lots of people have had confusion over mounting directions here and elsewhere. I believe that is clarified now.
My post above stands in that I have a sincere question regarding whether running a rotor reversed pretty hard for six track days will have some potential harmful effects. If not, than I expect many more days out of that set and have another to go so I'll be happy. If that is not a good thing to do to rotors I need to know soon to swap mine out.

Dennis
Old 05-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Carefree
Pro

Agreed, Rick does a fantastic job and I believe with this clarification, we can all move forward.

CT03911 - what I have noticed is heat spots on my rotors (they are toast) and high heat in the braking system.

I have asked for a replacement pair of rotors and I am buying another set of RS29's from Rick, then I will bleed the system once again with SuperBlue. Nothing better than knowing your brakes are going to work and work well!

Dennis in Portland.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

It's raining here so I can't do anything today but will report back on the state of the rotors in a few days

For sure my fluid is toast, not sure about the new RS29s or rotors
Old 05-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Default Toast

It stopped raining and I went out to look at the car

See photos below, rotors are 'toast' I would say, opinions?

The blue burnt out areas go all the way around in the middle (hottest) part of the rotor

I don't have time to check pads today but will soon, not looking forward to it
Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM
CT03911
Banned

Backmarker, FYI my rotors also had discoloration after the above mentioned use. I cannot recall exactly the extent, it was there, but probably not quite to the extent you show.
Since my rotors got swapped to the correct sides and I put new pads on for what ended up a half day (rain shortened) they now look even in color and surfacing. I just looked at them carefully again.
I am wondering if there are any issues remaining due to the high temps but I can tell you that I would be willing to bet if you swapped rotor sides and had decent pads on, that color might fade on a good track day of use. Did for me.
I am not sure the color means anything, especially if it goes away like mine did. Fact is, they got really hot. That is what we need to know. Is there a "too hot" point, did we get there and how do you know?
Mine are not warped, they look good and I bet they are good but I will await advice from Rick.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah man....vanes should always sweep backwards as I mentioned a week ago. Sorry to see that this wasn't followed or clear.

Quick Reply: GT3 slotted front rotors: DeMan for $649 2 SETS AVAILABLE