Sponsored by:

Cost to build 2-car detatched garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost to build 2-car detatched garage

My apologies if this is in the wrong section--traffic is light in the GT3 section. In any case, looking to buy a house in CT that has a detached garage which unfortunately has to be torn down given its condition. Any thoughts (ballpark) on the cost of building a 24x24 detached garage with a room above? No plumbing, just electrical.

Here is an example. Basically I want to know if I should budget $30K or $60K.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...garage1001.jpg

thanks.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Rceron
Racer

Hopefully this works.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 AM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot help on pricing, but have a detached garage of my own the size you are contemplating. If you are planning on doing work on the cars in the garage and have the additional room, I would strongly recommend going larger in size, even just a couple of feet in width would help, that is the dimension I find most restrictive for me.

You may know about this, but also check out www.garagejournal.com and garageforums.com for some good information and feedback.

Mike
Old 03-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

A lot this depends on your local building codes. You can pretty much estimate $100 a square foot to build out a garage and finish the inside. You can take about $10sq ft off that if you don't finish the inside of the garage. The big expense with a garage is always in the foundation and framing. After that it depends on how nice you want the inside to be. And if you want it to be livable inside you might as well double the budget.

My house right now is about 50% over budget of where it started. The garage is still worth the expense!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Rceron
Racer

$100 sq ft and your not taking about a useable attic or room above I bet. Well, this is the kind of input I wanted. thanks.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Rceron
$100 sq ft and your not taking about a useable attic or room above I bet. Well, this is the kind of input I wanted. thanks.
My estimate will hopefully be on the high side of things. It does take into account you doing a room above but maybe not finishing it off at this point. I think most of us on this forum like to have some of the nicer things in life (hence the GT3) and the $100 sq ft estimate is a good starting point for a nice detached garage. Finishing it out on the inside with nicer stuff will drive the cost up slightly but it shouldn't be anymore than another 25% IMHO. Keeps us informed with what you do. I would like to see how it turns out.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:27 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts

Is the top room for the dedicated "dog house" if SO and u have a war of words or a room for your hot nanny when it's built : ). Get compressed air lines done too. I would forgoe extra room make it higher for a room for a lift if u are mechanically inclined : ). Mike
Old 03-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Rceron
Racer

I think the height of the ceiling will depend on town/municipal codes and any issues I might have with neighbors. It won't be in a rural area so putting in a gigantic garage especially near the property line will be very difficult. The second room above would be for increased storage capacity so I can forego the luxury item there. I may have to think about heat though. Need to spend more time on the garagejournal website like mike above pointed out. Pretty good site.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

I built a similar structure, but with stone base pillars, cedar roof, and cedar shake siding. Electrical and upstairs storage, but uninsulated and not plumbed. Cost was about $70k including landscaping (that can be a killer)
Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

As a point of reference, I had a 30'x30' garage built that was unfinished on the inside ... No electrical, insulation, or sheetrock and it cost about $20k ($4k slab & 16k structure). The structure is frame with Hardiboard siding and conventional shingle roof. I have 5 windows, 1 man door and a 18x9 garage door. I hope this helps.

Regards, Dave
Old 03-13-2009, 05:20 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 71 Posts

Ramon-
Check out this website. A little over the top for my budget but some nice stuff here.
http://www.ultimategarage.com/homegarage/design.html
Chet
Old 03-13-2009, 06:12 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

OK Gents... Put the hammer down and step away from the keyboard...

Depending on local conditions etc. a conventional 24x24 garage will run about $35 PSF...

Now we all know that we don't want any ol' garage so in addition to a room above which might ad 10K to it let me suggest a couple of other things.
1. Build it bigger! You'll never be happy with this size if you use it for anything besides storage.
2. Build it taller! Depending on zoning issues I would suggest a 12' ceiling height. Why you ask? Because you'll want to put a lift in it eventually.
3. Be sure to insulate it as much as possible. You'll eventaully want to heat and/or cool it.
4. Oversize the electrical and make sure you can get to the panel to run additional circuits as you think of additional uses.

We are currently working with a client who is a Porsche car enthusiast and will be putting in a 4 car attached garage with vaulted ceilings in two of the bays to allow for a 4 post and 2 post lift...niiiicccee!
Feel free to email or PM me for any other professional advise.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Gradus Futura
Instructor

Im not totally sure but I think its called american steel. Maybe some where in texas my grandfather picked up the steel I beams and drove back to CO. He rented a forklift and built a pretty damn big shop on his property. Not bad for an old man. I think for him and doing the main assembly with a couple of workers only cost him like 20k or less. It was about three or for times the size of the one in your picture. Just another option. I believe there are a lot of these companies around that offer the pre made shop/garages. Good luck. I have picks if your interested in the one my gramps built.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

There are so many variables to building so it can be misleading to give a squage foot price. Start with underground stuff such as irrigation and utility lines that might need moving and cost of demolition of the existing structure. Then deciding what utilities you want in the garage:i.e. heat, water obviously electric, sewer line. There are significant variables to connecting these items up. Then of course the level of roofing, siding, trim and windows. I am in construction and just installed 2 garage doors on a project we're doing that cost $7000 but could have been done for half that. Then on the interior assume insulation, sheetrock good lighting, water and drains. You can do a very nice job at $100/ft and at that price point you will have a nicer garage than the one you're tearing down. If you want to save money now just get the underground stuff and the behind the wall roughing done now so it's easy to upgrade later. Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:12 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

My experience tells me that at 100/sf you should be well protected and with some ingenuity and sweat equity, you might be able to do some or most of the site work.

This does not seem like a "back 40" project and must be detailed in some accordance with the main house which I assume is nicely done. Those pre-fab metal jobs just don't cut the mustard in this setting.

best of luck!!

Quick Reply: Cost to build 2-car detatched garage