Sponsored by:

GT2

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Blackspeedster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2

Can anyone tell me if the GT2 can be daily driven comfortably? I currently drive a 996 C2 and I'd like to have more power and prices have dropped enough for me to buy a GT2 or GT3. I'm leaning towards the GT2 as it may hold its value better. Currently looking at a modded but not tracked ~500hp 35k mile GT2 in the $60s.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

No it does not make a good DD. Suspension is harsh, clutch is heavy, and sound system sucks. So the comfort level is not there for daily use. Get a
996TT if every day use is your goal.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:43 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

its like a GT3 with alot more power!!!!!!!

its fine car, alot of fun... the turbo bettr in traffic ect...
Old 03-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Blackspeedster
Advanced

Yeah, sounds like it will be too harsh. I'm running 19s on my car and my wife thinks it's too harsh. My biggest concern is the noise from the exhaust and intake. It's almost like the tt feels like a compromise. A 2004 tt cabrio would be nice but the depreciation curve is still pretty steep on that one. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by Y65MPH
No it does not make a good DD. Suspension is harsh, clutch is heavy, and sound system sucks. So the comfort level is not there for daily use. Get a
996TT if every day use is your goal.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:41 AM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackspeedster
Can anyone tell me if the GT2 can be daily driven comfortably? I currently drive a 996 C2 and I'd like to have more power and prices have dropped enough for me to buy a GT2 or GT3. I'm leaning towards the GT2 as it may hold its value better. Currently looking at a modded but not tracked ~500hp 35k mile GT2 in the $60s.

Thanks!
Is the car in Texas ?
If so PM me.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:08 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, sounds like it will be too harsh. I'm running 19s on my car and my wife thinks it's too harsh. My biggest concern is the noise from the exhaust and intake. It's almost like the tt feels like a compromise. A 2004 tt cabrio would be nice but the depreciation curve is still pretty steep on that one. Thanks for the advice.
My wife won't even get in my car even when it was stock! And she has autoXed and done DE's in my M3!

Always carry a bottle of asprin if you DD the car.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:09 PM
va122
Drifting

no matter how you slice it, cars are a depreciating asset. Fact of life, don't let it cloud your decision, cars are for fun.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
MTHEORY
Instructor

I don't drive my car every day because I drive my 750Li, but my GT2 is very comfortable, At 0.0 bar, which is pretty much all the time during "normal" driving, the car is very street friendly and drivable. The suspension in my Z4 M Coupe is much harsher, so I actually think the GT2 has a pretty decent suspension setup. The clutch is heavy, but for me that's a plus.

I guess the best answer is that the car can be a daily driver depending on your own personal preferences. If you are a "car preservationist", like me (you know, the guy who parks a mile away from the entrance), maybe it's not such a good idea. The car draws TONS of attention and that raises the "human mischief" factor for me. In other words, a GT2 is a very desirable target for bad intentions. Everyone from the professional thief to the "I hate rich people" or "we're in a recession and you're driving a super-car" keying vandal. When I drive my car for pleasure I can control the environment to some extent. As a daily driver, however, It would be much more difficult to control where the car is parked. (By "rich", you guys know what I mean, most of us here are not "rich", it's just that these cars give that impression to the average person)

The most noticeable drawback is that the car is very low and you have to be very, very careful with the front lip. When I got my car home, the original front lip was torn up, I bought 2 extra lips, put one of them on the car and hung the other one in my garage. After having put 1000 miles on the car, the lip is still pristine and I'm surprised that I've been able to keep it that way, but again, my car is not a daily driver. As a daily driver in all street situations, You'll go through some front lips for sure.

The other less obvious drawback is that it's hard not to "use" the car once in a while. It's like sleeping next to a supermodel and being told "no touch". There's only so much a guy can stand. As a daily driver, you will be tempted to launch yourself into orbit in different situations, and that can lead to trouble. On the other hand, you may have the will power of a nun, so it might not be such a big problem. In my case I have the will power of a **** star, so I'm happy that the car sits safe in my garage most of the time.

So for me, although there's no real "mechanical" reason the car cannot be a daily driver, for all the other reasons stated above, the TT route is probably much smarter.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:33 AM
Johns930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

NO. most uncomfortable car i ever owned.
but i buy 2 if i get your prices.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:57 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really cannot comment as my suspension is heavily modified, so it depends on how you set it up and what quality suspension you put in as my Motons can be pretty soft, and even then the car still wouldn't be pleasant daily driving..

As my car sits now, if i'm not at the track or on a run, after about an hour I cannot wait to bring it home lol!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Originally Posted by iLLM3
I really cannot comment as my suspension is heavily modified, so it depends on how you set it up and what quality suspension you put in as my Motons can be pretty soft, and even then the car still wouldn't be pleasant daily driving..

As my car sits now, if i'm not at the track or on a run, after about an hour I cannot wait to bring it home lol!
This is my problem. I have solid motor mounts, lots of suspension work , straight pipes and lower than stock. So a daily driver is out of the question.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 PM
va122
Drifting

Bingo!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:13 AM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can think of worse things than to daily drive a GT2.
For the wife no; for you, you bet.
Life is short. Grab the golden ring.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:50 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

I guess this means you are not up for the Tire Rack One Lap of America. Ran the GT3 last year OLOA 4000 miles with Bypass Pipes. Foam earplugs are your friend.

Peter
Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I guess this means you are not up for the Tire Rack One Lap of America. Ran the GT3 last year OLOA 4000 miles with Bypass Pipes. Foam earplugs are your friend.

Peter
LOL Peter, don't get me wrong in it's proper environment I don't mind it, but daily driving/driving around the ****ty NY streets just isn't fun when I can be comfortable in my daily doing the same, you know?

It's my fun car, why take it out for errands

Quick Reply: GT2