Cobra Misano seats for 996

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:49 PM
boss351
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra Misano seats for 996

Also posted on another forum to spread the info:

For future reference and easy search on these seats I thought it worth a little write up.

Cobra Misano's are a great light weight reclining sports seat, well constructed and very good quality. I had shopped around a fair bit as I need recliners (kids ride in the car every day) but want to be able to use race harness for track days (harness bar is next project - removeable of course). Similar seats would be from Recaro and Corbeau for example but I ended up lumping on these. The 996 has a tight fit for seats, non-electric Recaro Sports would have issues fitting and I was not interested in the electric creature comforts, more on functionality and matching appearance with weight saving as an added bonus - these are sooo much lighter than stock. The Misano 30s are a subdued black colour that really compliment the graphite grey interior, they have plenty other options for colours (as do the other manufacturers) but I was wanting to avoid shiny black and lighter greys.

Thanks to some tips from vincentdds the install was pretty easy. You have to remove the inboard recliner **** (pops off), cut down the protruding ****, and then cap it - I used an axle cap (3/8") from Lowes. You have to decide on seat height also, the seats have tabs with 3 height options, to go lower you have to hacksaw off the unwanted mounting holes, as with a 996 the bases wont let the tabs protrude down. I ended up with the lowest mounting position on both sides, seat sits minutly higher than OEM at its lowest I think, but plenty low for me (6') with helmet on and for daily use. You mount the seatbelt recepticle to the inside of the tab on the seat base for it to fit snuggly. Base (in this lowest case) mounts in to the car first, then the seat with the rails/sliders mounts on to the base. We also lifted up the carpet under the B pillars and cut away some plastic there, that lets the seat slide all the way back without the outboard recliner ***** getting restricted. Carpet back in you can't tell any change.

Install was pretty easy but I had an experienced hand helping me. If you are Houston based I'd recommend going through Moterwerks to get the seats and have them install.

Mounting tabs: Seats in:
Old 02-05-2009, 06:55 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Problem is with these seats is that you'll only be able to use 4 point harnesses since there's no hole for 5th or 6th points. These are great choice and also recaro sportster.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 PM
boss351
Instructor

Originally Posted by CWay27
Problem is with these seats is that you'll only be able to use 4 point harnesses since there's no hole for 5th or 6th points. These are great choice and also recaro sportster.

You can use a 6pt in the formula style, under the thighs and anchored at the waist strap anchor points. Also checked with local PCA group, they said running the sub-straps over the front of the seat and back under to anchor was allowable to. When I finish my setup I will post pictures.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:33 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

I couldn't say much on running the sub belts under the thighs but as for the other method (in front of the seat), I doubt it would be acceptable since belt manufacturer are very clear on the angle the sub belts must be. I am no expert but I wouldn't run mine like that.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:51 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree ... nice seats.
But it is true that several regions they have gone to full functioning 6 point, except in the mid to novice classes.
That requirement narrows the field significantly .... especially if you want to use the seats regular, off the track.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:45 PM
boss351
Instructor

Originally Posted by CWay27
I couldn't say much on running the sub belts under the thighs but as for the other method (in front of the seat), I doubt it would be acceptable since belt manufacturer are very clear on the angle the sub belts must be. I am no expert but I wouldn't run mine like that.
It was the head instructor that told me about the over the front subs, I was surprised to hear that and its not the way I intend to go. Two speed shops that I talked to had both said the under thigh/butt method was becoming more common place and at least Schroth have guidlines on the setup and that will do for me.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Like I said, I'm no expert and if head instructor said it was fine, then you're all set to go. Again, nice seats!!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:18 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,904 Likes on 2,781 Posts

Originally Posted by boss351
It was the head instructor that told me about the over the front subs, I was surprised to hear that and its not the way I intend to go. Two speed shops that I talked to had both said the under thigh/butt method was becoming more common place and at least Schroth have guidlines on the setup and that will do for me.
I think under the thigh is far preferable to over the front of the seat. Go with the Schroth instuctions, imo...
Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 AM
brucegre
Banned

Originally Posted by boss351
Not anymore. PCA changed the rules last year, you now have to have a seat with the sub holes to use the 5 and 6 point. 4 point aren't allowed. You may get away with it if your region misses it, but as Carl said, I wouldn't do it, that three foot long sub strap over the front of the seat won't do much other than crush the boys as you slide under the lap belt.

The under thigh/butt should be OK with those seats, it's probably the coming thing for the rest of us.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:55 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,904 Likes on 2,781 Posts

A good upholstery shop could easily make you a sub-belt pass-through. I know a great one in Denver and I imagine there are others in most locales...
Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM
boss351
Instructor

Originally Posted by GrantG
A good upholstery shop could easily make you a sub-belt pass-through. I know a great one in Denver and I imagine there are others in most locales...
I wouldn't have a problem with that but there is a paragraph in the PCA guidelines about not modifying (ie cutting holes) seats to facilitate the harnesses (shoulder and sub).

Quick Reply: Cobra Misano seats for 996