Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 gt3 camber opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:10 PM
1fastline
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running Pirelli P-zero Corsa's. It is A DOT rated Comp. Tire w/ UTQG of 60. My target hot pressure is 35-36 psi. . I expect to start at about 27-28 cold. I will experiment from there.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:47 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally don't use the corsas but i have used their slicks. so i can't comment on your pressures.

Start with your sways where they are and experiment. I suggest you use new tires to dial your car in.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Jetmech
Racer

for me, I track at mostly two tracks, so I was able to dial in a good alignment for my GT3. I had to use a Pryometer or thermal gauge to see get the heat across the entire tire as much as possible when I came off the track hot. I have a -2 on the rears and -3 up front. it will differ for each car, the track, tires and driving style, etc. but your tire wear will change with each tire manufacture and type, not to mention any bumps you hit and you start all over.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:07 PM
va122
Drifting

not to mention any bumps you hit and you start all over.

Seriously if i thought about a bump hard enough the rear toe would go. Happened at WSIR at 145, saw my life flash before me as the car snapped around. luckily i caught it, came into the pits and changed my shorts
Old 01-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Your pressures for the Corsa are spot on. On my 6GT3 I found F R hot to be the sweet spot.

I would not worry about the increased camber. Yes your tires will wear out fast on the street. On the other hand with the Kussmaul (by the way I was the one who got them and posted them here) settings, your tires will also wear out fast on the street. Chances are you will wear out your tires on the track first though so I wouldn't worry about it at all. Your toe settings are correct but you really want the rear toe links because the OEM set up is very fragile. I used the Corsas a lot on my 6GT2 and 3. About 1 second a lap slower than the Michelin cup on a 1:50 lap. The advantage is that they can be street driven and unless very worn, you are not SOL if it rains. So you trade off a bit of 'stick' for versatility. The Corsa is back in production and I will be using them myself this summer.

Best,
Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM
va122
Drifting

Bob, can you translate the RK toe settings to mm for stringing the car up?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:36 PM
1fastline
Intermediate

Bob,

Thanks for the info on the Corsa's and settings. Are you going the get the "system" or run the same tire F & R.? Are you using 35 hot for both F & R?
I have used the mpsc on other cars with good results but I couldn't find them in the proper size/load rating for this car. BTW Michelin customer service beats Pirelli by a lonshot so far IMO. With mpsc on other cars driven hard I was gettibg +8-10psi cold to hot pressure which is about right.
I think I will start at about 28 cold and go from there as the car is new to me and I will be taking it easy at first (I think!).

-Regards
Old 02-01-2009, 01:25 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

I run mpsc at 31 hot all around. If tire pressures above 34 maybe it's my driving I slide alot. With reference to street cars tire pressures is what your comfortable with. 34-36 hot-good starting point then go lower : ).
Mike
Old 02-01-2009, 01:26 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

I run mpsc at 31 hot all around. If tire pressures above 34 maybe it's my driving I slide alot. With reference to street cars tire pressures is what your comfortable with. 34-36 hot-good starting point then go lower : ).
Mike
Old 02-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastline
I do 20+ track days a year. I have not done any other suspension pieces yet. My concern is the additional camber affecting tire wear during street use, although limited. I have rotated the struts to allow for the additional camber. I am just trying to get a baseline to work from. Since the tires are not a full racing slick, I was debating whether almost -3deg front would be too much.
I have a similar background- I do a lot of track driving and am newish to the GT3 and to Porsches too

My car came 'dialed in' and eats rear tires on the street (to and from the track).

I've decided that after 15 years of track day fun I'm old enough to buy a pyrometer and eliminate the guesswork- too much camber or is it actually helping on track?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 PM
1fastline
Intermediate

Backmarker,

Do you know what your suspension settings are? There will always be a compromise if the car is driven on both street and track IMO. I think a pyrometer is a good idea if you want to get serious about testing.
In agreement with an above post, in the past I have always worn out the tires on the track before street issues came into play. Since the tires are not full slicks on my car, that is they have some tread, I don't know for sure if a pyrometer is as effective. I use hot pressures as a guide and sometimes an IR pyro to get relative temps across the tire. Although not as reliabe as a probe, I feel better about not poking my tires with a needle and the IR also works for track temps, rotors, calipers, etc..
Old 02-02-2009, 11:06 PM
ex10psi
Racer

would like to chime in something here... for whatever it's worth... i just got the car back from my alignment shop and they told me the rear alignment was spot on from 1 yr ago. they didnt have to adjust anything after 1 yr. suspension is completely stock incl the rear toe links, about 8 track days and 2k street miles for a total of around 3k miles since the last alignment.

maybe i just dont drive it enough
Old 02-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ex10psi
would like to chime in something here... for whatever it's worth... i just got the car back from my alignment shop and they told me the rear alignment was spot on from 1 yr ago. they didnt have to adjust anything after 1 yr. suspension is completely stock incl the rear toe links, about 8 track days and 2k street miles for a total of around 3k miles since the last alignment.

maybe i just dont drive it enough
I think it depends a lot on how you drive at the track. If you never drive over the armco or take the car off track, your alignment will probably last much longer. I think more aggressive track driving is where you will usually see your settings slip.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:27 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
I think it depends a lot on how you drive at the track. If you never drive over the armco or take the car off track, your alignment will probably last much longer. I think more aggressive track driving is where you will usually see your settings slip.
fair enough... it's true, i've never gone off track however i do like hitting the berms although we werent able to at PIR last year. hopefully they're finished the berms to be nice and smooth like the rest of the track, of course a smooth track i'm sure keeps alignment in check.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

The new berms aren't bad at all. Hope to see you out there this year.

Quick Reply: 996 gt3 camber opinions