Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official PSE on a 996 GT3...couple of Q's...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official PSE on a 996 GT3...couple of Q's...

Hi Guys,

Appreciate there are a number of threads relating to a swapping the exhausts on the 6GT3, but can't remember seeing answers to the following questions, any ideas?

I once fitted a PSE to my old C2, along with the switch to activate the vacuum reservoir. The feed for the accumulator was taken taken from a "T" junction (or spare branch) from the intake plenum bellows. The accumulator then mounts off to the RH side of the engine bay, install the electrics and hey-presto.

On the GT3, of course its a different intake setup.

Q1 - Does anyone know where a vacuum feed can be taken from? I'm presuming the electrics would all install as before, but what were bellows on the C2, are simply straight coupling hoses on the GT3. I'm not into dropping the engine to get to anything, BTW!...Alternatively any other way of actuating the valves?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know the official line from Porsche is that fitting a PSE nets no additional bhp. The C2 certainly picked up quicker, but this was only ever a subjective assesment on my behalf.

Whilst I'm not busting to get another few bhp, what I certainly don't want is to lose anything (either low down torque or top end hp).

Q2 - Does anyone have any experience in dyno testing before and after with a PSE?

Reason for wanting a PSE is purely for the switchable noise - live in a sleepy little picture postcard town and frequently do early starts/late returns, so can do without the coffin-dodgers getting Plod on by back!

If this can't be done, then I may as well just bite the bullet and go for a Cargraphics setup, add 7hp and save a few £££'s (although I really want the Export version, the next one down seems to be what the UK importers, Parr, say is equivalent to the noise of a PSE...which I always loved)

Any advice or experience greatly appreciated. I've been naffing around on this subject for far too long.

Cheers
Spencer

PS...apologies, but also posted this on RennTech and 911uk, just to canvass as many opinions as poss...
Old 12-05-2008, 01:00 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

My friend and I went through every conceivable option with our 3's.

PSE can be done but not with the vaccuum thingy, you would have to make the connections yourself, I have seen it done with some butterfly valves on each side effectively bypassing the mufflers, but it's a headache.

Gemballa makes a throttle actuated muffler that opens an actuator under WOT.

Techart does too but is not designed for the GT3 although you can make it fit.

Another option is the 997 system but you will have to swap rear bumpers. I've seen it done and I'm sure Parr can do it, as I've seen a 996RS with center exhaust.

Search on this list, you can make your stock muffler into a PSE, by welding a bridge between the input and output pipes.

Cargraphic is excellent, I have the "R" system that's header back with 100cel cats, with both the TUV version (for Laguna Seca 92db limit) and the export version, the export version is louder and I prefer it but the TUV version will pass the drive by noise regulations in europe. To most of the people who have heard it say it sounds like music. And it gives like 30bhp but it is very pricey. You will get 80% of the sound with just the mufflers.

good luck
Old 12-05-2008, 01:18 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Thanks va122, appreciate your thoughts/advice.

Sounds like a switchable PSE is out then.

Not up for swapping the rear pu to be able to fit the 997 'zorsts (too expensive, would rather that cash go into new cats and/or headers..plus, really can't get on with centre-exit pipes)

in terms of making my own PSE, I have seen (and bookmarked) those threads - I'm thinking that may well be the way forward in the short-term using some 3.6 cans.

With regards to the Cargraphics kit, specifically the Export silencers, are they unsociably noisy on first start-up or light throttle? ...Do they drone/resonate at a cruising pace?

Cheers
S
Old 12-05-2008, 01:38 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cargraphic does not drone at all, unlike fabspeed, GHL and most others. To me, sounds beautiful and agressive deep throaty growl but it's near 100 db. The TUV is probably what you want for your situation it's more domesticated but not THAT different in volume. The car is very loud at start up but that's normal for the car, I forgot exactly why, ask me again later after I'm caffinated)

Switchable is possible, try the techart, gemballa or the stupidly expensive krissegg (sp?) I personally would love to do a switchable bypass, but you also have to realize that cargraphic and others do extensive testing to ensure no power loss, accurate backpressure etc that you can't do yourself without considerable dyno testing, for example in my race car I added some longer tips to stop the bumper melting and lost BHP! Like 8 or something, I can't remember. Also if the weld's are not good you will run lean and lose power.

Depends how serious you want to get. $ is the only limiting factor. I have the 7500k "R" system like i said, and I'm dynoing like 375 to the wheels, nut my friend has 500$ cat bypasses and muffler shop gutted mufflers and 380 to the wheels, go figure.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

I have the Cargraphic exports cans on my car. Love the sound, and no droning. In fact, my wife and I feel they are quieter at cruising (70-80 mph) than the stock cans. They do bark at start up, but do quiet down, and would be relatively quiet cruising out of the neighborhood. And they sound so sweet at WOT.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:10 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Guys, again, thanks for the replies.

Also some interesting comments over on 911uk.com, apparently there's a vacuum pipe that can easily be T'd into over on the LHS of the engine bay to feed an accumulator for the PSE? Havent been out to check yet (throwing it down!).

Arggh, decisions decisions!...The comments from Joe above are really tempting me to give it a go with the Cargraphics Export...(devil on shoulder yelling "do it you pu55y"!!)...guess I could always sell them on Fleabay if I cant live with them...
Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Two others in my local area have been over to listen/evaluate the Cargraphic cans. Both purchased a set after checking it out. Here's rear end pic with Eisenmann tips.
Attached Images   

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 12-05-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:54 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spenny if you aren't tracking sod the neighbours and get a nice cargraphic. If you go PSE you arent getting the huge weight loss at the back of the car. Can Parr demo one for you?

I'm still toying with cargraphic quiet (for noise limit reasons).
Old 12-07-2008, 12:39 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Hey Dan,

No, I've spoken to Parr on a couple of occasions to see if they have a customer car in for servicing that happens to have the Export cans - just to be able to fire it up if I were to drive over there, but both times they dont have anything in the workshops.

Tempted to say "sod it" and do exactly that, Export jobbies. Hell, can always Fleabay them if I can't get on with 'em.

Cheers for the pic's Joe - I'll probably keep my stock tips; to be honest, I really like them (man of simple means!)
Old 12-07-2008, 01:18 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Eisenmann tips came with the cans. I bought the set used from EBS Racing here in CA. Got quite the deal on them. Not that you need a pic of the rear with stock tips, but...
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2008, 07:33 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worry export might be a tad tedious on the motorway?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:56 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, I struggle with that one too - although I've just bought myself a Pug 306 GTI-6 for motorway schlepps and some of the business journeys - having said that, you cant avoid motorways completely on the fun journeys in the '3...oh bugger, I thought I was settled on an option!!

Dan, on another (non related) topic - your harnesses - what have you done to disable the seatbelt warning gong when on track/using harnesses rather than belts?...was something flashed via OBDII to the management, or do you use a dummy plug (or passenger seatbelt) in the drivers recepticle? I've just bought Poons Schroths off him and installed today - great apart from the nannying noise!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:02 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanH
I worry export might be a tad tedious on the motorway?
I assume you mean droning? Per my note above, IMO, the Cargraphic cans give less noise at cruise than do the stock cans. My wife and I noticed that immediately. The Cargraphics are easier to live with at 70-80 mph than the stock units.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
Cargraphic is excellent, I have the "R" system that's header back with 100cel cats, with both the TUV version (for Laguna Seca 92db limit) and the export version, the export version is louder and I prefer it but the TUV version will pass the drive by noise regulations in europe. To most of the people who have heard it say it sounds like music. And it gives like 30bhp but it is very pricey. You will get 80% of the sound with just the mufflers.
Do you have a personal before/after dyno chart to back this up? Just curious.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:52 AM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Do you have a personal before/after dyno chart to back this up? Just curious.
I think the dyno plots are on the Cargraphics website - there are certainly some in the printed literature I have at home (not sure what the actual numbers are, only that CG do illustrate what each stage of their tuning packages do deliver)

Quick Reply: Official PSE on a 996 GT3...couple of Q's...