Sponsored by:

What Would You Pay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008 | 01:48 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lightguy
I like the way you think.
I'm in no way able to capitalize on my thinking currently, but yeah, GT2s are great deals now.

Sure, if you want to have a stock car, maybe a GT3 is a more manageable prospect, but if you plan on messing with the set up anyway, GT2s would make great platforms. While not trivial, suspension, brakes and weight reduction are not going to make your car unreliable or not smog legal. Nowadays when 11 is the new 12 when it comes to quarter miles, it would be very cool to pick up a GT2 and just lighten and set it up for track. It has enough power stock. Well sorted, it would be a VERY fast track car that you could drive to the track. Formerly at double GT3 money, it just wasn't worth it, but now the rocket sled power is cheaper and more worth it than a 3.8 or 4.0 conversion for a GT3 (which now is equal or more money).
Old 11-13-2008 | 01:09 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MTHEORY

The Seal Grey GT2 also has a delusional dealer. Max on that on should be between 80 to 85K.

What that tells me is that the completely stock GT2 in Costa Mesa is worth less than this completely upgraded one which had at least 30 to 40K in aftermarket goodies.
The seal grey one noted above has dropped in price to $99K - at $90K it is a great deal. $80k-$85k would indicate a distressed sale, which you may find in this market.

The black car in Costa Mesa is stock and has 1,900 miles, which makes it much more valuable than the modified car when it comes to resale. If you want a modified car or a track car you the other is a good deal, but when you go to sell stock is most valuable. You just as well throw the mods in for free!

It will be interesting to see where the black car ends the bidding on ebay! I think the black car in Costa Mesa is a good deal @ $90k, I just am not sure I want black. The Seal grey one noted above at the same price is also a good deal as it is a more "unique" car. But it is a 2002 which makes it less desirable (more of them).

I have been holding out for a 2004 or 2005 for my next one and unless I find a perfect low mileage car I won't spring for one.

Happy hunting.

JCM

JCM
Old 11-13-2008 | 02:08 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

I am not sure that GT2's will be bottom feeder cars. I just think they will not sell at all. Look at all the dreamers that think GT3 RS's are still worth 20K over. the same ones are for sale forever. I think people selling GT2's are not as stressed as 996TT sellers. I would sell my GT2 but for a fair price not a firesale price. When you look at the high to low on all the prices mentioned, you are looking at 5-8K. Big deal. If someone really wants the car, buy it and enjoy it. The real question is if there are really any buyers out there buying a 100K used car. I am afraid not.
Old 11-14-2008 | 01:48 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Y65MPH
I am not sure that GT2's will be bottom feeder cars. I just think they will not sell at all. Look at all the dreamers that think GT3 RS's are still worth 20K over. the same ones are for sale forever. I think people selling GT2's are not as stressed as 996TT sellers. I would sell my GT2 but for a fair price not a firesale price. When you look at the high to low on all the prices mentioned, you are looking at 5-8K. Big deal. If someone really wants the car, buy it and enjoy it. The real question is if there are really any buyers out there buying a 100K used car. I am afraid not.
Only those that realy want the car and I agree with you if you find the car you like at a fair price buy it. GT2's are a bargain today and will be collectable in the future, the last pure raw Porsche!

JCM
Old 11-14-2008 | 02:58 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Agreed, and I was going to sell my car too, no need to go through the hassle though!
Old 11-16-2008 | 06:14 PM
Z06 convert
Instructor

I think this really sums up the market. I have owned my GT2 for almost three years. Purchased with 600 miles on the odometer. I have more fun with this Porsche than any car I have owned. With a great big thanks to GMG the car handles great and has seen most of the tracks in California where it is happiest.

"My name is STEVE and I am a track junkie!" .........Hello Steve
Old 11-16-2008 | 07:27 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z06 convert
I think this really sums up the market. I have owned my GT2 for almost three years. Purchased with 600 miles on the odometer. I have more fun with this Porsche than any car I have owned. With a great big thanks to GMG the car handles great and has seen most of the tracks in California where it is happiest.

"My name is STEVE and I am a track junkie!" .........Hello Steve
If you don't mind, what times do you run at T-hill and Laguna?
Old 11-17-2008 | 01:49 AM
MTHEORY
Instructor

I agree, but I think your analysis applies more to private sellers. Dealers are in a different position. There is no "nostalgia" with dealers. They have to move inventory. Period. In today's economy, they may have to move inventory at a loss. Maybe not at a 50% loss, but possibly at 10-20% loss. They may be able to make up the loss with other models, or just write it off. As the economy continues to melt down, I think we will be seeing some 996 GT2's going for less than what they may be worth.
Old 11-17-2008 | 12:11 PM
Z06 convert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yargk
If you don't mind, what times do you run at T-hill and Laguna?
I haven't run T-Hill. First time at Laguna 1.39's. Not going to beat a cup car or any serious race car. You really notice the weight.

That was prior to GIAC( Hammer), GMG WC Exhaust and headers, LWFW, 285's on the front. (I ran 335's on the rear and 245's on the front DOT.)

..........but with Air conditioning and the beach boys in the CD I could get about 100 to 140 #'s out of the car removing air, cd, small battery, steering airbag. It's currently about 3200 pounds with safety equipment etc.

I think the next upgrade is brakes and it could use a little rear downforce cresting the hill B/4 turn 1. (It got very light)

Have Fun! Steve
Old 11-19-2008 | 02:37 AM
MTHEORY
Instructor

Apart from the relatively high mileage, what's wrong with this car for the dealer to set the "buy it now" price so low?

(drivers seat looks beat up?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Old 11-19-2008 | 02:39 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Apart from the relatively high mileage, what's wrong with this car for the dealer to set the "buy it now" price so low?

Wayyyyyy to cheap hmm... Might be the car that had some of the rear carpet cut/deck removed for some track goodies, was up for sale a while ago not sure!
Old 11-19-2008 | 03:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Z06 convert
I haven't run T-Hill. First time at Laguna 1.39's. Not going to beat a cup car or any serious race car. You really notice the weight.

That was prior to GIAC( Hammer), GMG WC Exhaust and headers, LWFW, 285's on the front. (I ran 335's on the rear and 245's on the front DOT.)

..........but with Air conditioning and the beach boys in the CD I could get about 100 to 140 #'s out of the car removing air, cd, small battery, steering airbag. It's currently about 3200 pounds with safety equipment etc.

I think the next upgrade is brakes and it could use a little rear downforce cresting the hill B/4 turn 1. (It got very light)

Have Fun! Steve
1:39 good time
i dont know about T4, but if you are light cresting T1 at LS, you are not on the right line. you should be WOT and be planted.
Old 11-19-2008 | 07:10 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

I do not want to put my foot in my mouth, but this looks like the car that was for sale at Chicago Motor Cars not too long ago. It was a story car, repaint etc. Even if that is the case, for a track car it would be great. As long as the PCCB's are not blow out.
Old 11-19-2008 | 07:47 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

I do not want to put my foot in my mouth, but this looks like the car that was for sale at Chicago Motor Cars not too long ago. It was a story car, repaint etc. Even if that is the case, for a track car it would be great. As long as the PCCB's are not blow out.
That wasn't even the whole story, there was a pillar/frame damage as well, not exactly something you want to be driving ***** out in!
Old 11-20-2008 | 10:50 PM
abg123
Instructor

jesus..at least they should have changed the air filter..pathetic

Quick Reply: What Would You Pay?