996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008 | 07:44 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

The trailer from Trailex was about 1800 complete. Not cheap, but very light aluminum. It includes all of the mounting hardware, bars and trailer and tire rack locks. It comes as a kit so you can arrange things any way you want. The locking toolbox I got from Pep Boys. I got the biggest one that would fit.

Unloaded, the trailer is light enough for me to pick up. With one set of wheels, it still weighs next to nothing. Even with two sets (one set heavy OEM rims), the whole thing is so light that I can easily pull it around the paddock with one hand.

With two sets, I keep the rears in the front so I have enough positive tongue weight. I use tie down straps to keep the tires from wobbling. It takes about one minute to put the hitch on, attach the trailer, electrics, safety lines and lock the trailer (including pulling the trailer around as needed).

I live in NYC and keeping a tow vehicle, trailer and track car just isn't in the cards right now. My building has a garage and they let me keep the trailer on the side with the motorcycles.

Everything except my helmet and clothes stays in the toolbox, so leaving for the track is very easy now.

Driving with it is transparent.

dan
Old 08-29-2008 | 07:53 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
The trailer from Trailex was about 1800 complete. Not cheap, but very light aluminum. It includes all of the mounting hardware, bars and trailer and tire rack locks. It comes as a kit so you can arrange things any way you want. The locking toolbox I got from Pep Boys. I got the biggest one that would fit.

Unloaded, the trailer is light enough for me to pick up. With one set of wheels, it still weighs next to nothing. Even with two sets (one set heavy OEM rims), the whole thing is so light that I can easily pull it around the paddock with one hand.

With two sets, I keep the rears in the front so I have enough positive tongue weight. I use tie down straps to keep the tires from wobbling. It takes about one minute to put the hitch on, attach the trailer, electrics, safety lines and lock the trailer (including pulling the trailer around as needed).

I live in NYC and keeping a tow vehicle, trailer and track car just isn't in the cards right now. My building has a garage and they let me keep the trailer on the side with the motorcycles.

Everything except my helmet and clothes stays in the toolbox, so leaving for the track is very easy now.

Driving with it is transparent.

dan
gotta love a guy that lives in NYC and has figured out a way to pull two set of tires to a local track using a trailer attached to his Porsche!

To think I complain about wanting more space in my 2 car garage...

That is a great set up you have.
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:28 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Inspired trailer setup, hmm...
Old 09-10-2008 | 02:04 PM
va122
Drifting

Where can I get the hitch???
Old 09-10-2008 | 02:10 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

I got the hitch from Willwood systems. He has made hitches for Porsche's for a while, but the design for the 996 GT3 is pretty new. Contact information below:

Willwood Systems
will@willwoodsystem.com
209-772-3399
6739 Pollock
Valley Springs CA 95252
Old 09-10-2008 | 02:22 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

One word of caution about the trailer and its wheels. The Tire Toter one comes with 8 inch wheels as do most of their small trailers. The wheels are light, but towing at 90mph they are spinning insanely. I was concerned about that and checked the bearings last week after 3K miles. They needed to be replaced. MY fault for doing such speeds in 90+ summer heat and NOT checking the bearing grease more frequently.

I'm keeping a more frequent eye on the bearings for now. It isn't a big deal. I'll check and repack at 1500 mile intervals. I have 9-11 more events left. Next season I will switch to 12 inch wheels. Trailex says they will fit and won't put such a burden on the bearings.

If you get this trailer and plan on towing at speed (behind a GT3 you will ), get it with 12 inch wheels.

Daniel
Old 09-12-2008 | 11:20 PM
va122
Drifting

Thanks Dan!

Quick Reply: help with roof rack