996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Mufflers - Power loss/gain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008 | 07:01 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Default Fabspeed Mufflers - Power loss/gain?

Looking for a nicer sound without Hp/Torque loss. I'm focussed on Fabspeed here because a highly credible and unbiased R'lister has recommended them. What I'm hoping to find is someone who has a before and after dyno test to independendly (not the manufacturer) confirm if there are gains/losses from swapping the stock mufflers with Fabspeed mufflers (stock cats/headers.) Anybody done that?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2008 | 09:23 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Fabspeed cat bypass, fabspeed mufflers & evo intake... no change in peak HP on dyno, +10hp upper midrange. Definitely did increase total HP area (area under curve) but not by much. There is not much you can do to add HP to these cars. Look at what the X51 has to gain 25hp... heads, cams, ECU, headers and more!
Old 08-25-2008 | 09:36 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Great input Ed. I'm not hot to gain any HP... Just don't want to lose any.

May be a dumb question, but do the stock cats have significant flow restriction...as compared to, say, the stock mufflers? Never seen inside a cat, so not sure what is going on there...

I'll check out the Evo intake as well.

Thanks very much.
Old 08-25-2008 | 10:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gt3'er
Great input Ed. I'm not hot to gain any HP... Just don't want to lose any.

May be a dumb question, but do the stock cats have significant flow restriction...as compared to, say, the stock mufflers? Never seen inside a cat, so not sure what is going on there...

I'll check out the Evo intake as well.

Thanks very much.
the cat on 6gt3 is very well designed. you will not get much hp gain with ANY exhaust system out there. a small gain, 5-10hp, perhaps. more than that is BS.
Old 08-25-2008 | 10:16 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I just did it to lose weight in the rear. Have fab mufflers/cat bypass.
Old 08-25-2008 | 10:18 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ran sport mufflers, catbypass and muffler bypass pipes.

I noticed better response with the sport mufflers, and even better with the muffler bypass pipes, just my perception. The Fabspeed mufflers remove 26 lbs from the back, and the muffler bypass pipes 45 lbs.

With the cat bypass pipes, I used the stock exhaust, I liked the sound a lot. No noticeable improvement in performance, but I guess the stock mufflers were a bottle neck. No CEL with this setup.
Old 08-26-2008 | 12:31 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

This is great input and very much appreciated.

Weight loss and nice sound is what I'm after. 26 lbs out of the rear end is a great psychological improvement, and I'll be reminded of it every time i'm WOT. The car out-performs me in a big way, so I just don't want to compromise the power by installing a nice sounding/lighter weight muffler system.

I'm getting the impression that I don'thave to worry about power loss.
Old 08-26-2008 | 12:49 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

muffler bypass here...and I LOVE it...dont need anything more from the sound department now!

-Drew
Old 08-26-2008 | 01:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

indeed, wt reduction is great.
and if you like the sounds. it may be worth it. but to do it for power gain, you will not be happy.
Old 08-26-2008 | 01:25 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Hey Drew,

Local tracks won't do with MBP, so that's out of the question for me. Need to build my own track and to hell with the neighbors!! Do you keep the cats when you do a MBP?

Anyway, great avatar...is that Cobalt Blue? You might have noticed I have a thing for that color...couldn't find a car that color, so did the wheels...

Cheers...
Old 08-26-2008 | 02:44 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Hey Drew,

Local tracks won't do with MBP, so that's out of the question for me. Need to build my own track and to hell with the neighbors!! Do you keep the cats when you do a MBP?

Anyway, great avatar...is that Cobalt Blue? You might have noticed I have a thing for that color...couldn't find a car that color, so did the wheels...

Cheers...
Only LS will meat ball you. You'll definitely be ok at TH and i'm pretty sure at BW and SP. And if you want something as loud as mbp pipes but dont want to lose the low end you know where to find me.
Old 08-26-2008 | 09:42 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Hey Drew,

Cheers...
Thanks for the compliment about the color...I wasnt even planning on buying a 6-3 until I saw this exact car myself. I have ever only seen 1 other 996 in this color and it was on the internet for 15k more than mine. Anyway, the MBP doesnt take the cats away, just the mufflers. The only place I have to watch myself is LRP as they are pretty strict around there (90-91 db or something...pretty low). For that, I have my stock muffler sitting. For everything else...Ive got a one of the best sounds in the car world IMHO.
Old 08-26-2008 | 02:50 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carnerd
Only LS will meat ball you. You'll definitely be ok at TH and i'm pretty sure at BW and SP. And if you want something as loud as mbp pipes but dont want to lose the low end you know where to find me.
HA!!!! i was meatballed at TH with the bypass pipes. the crew at TH is just very inconsistent. it happened at an NCRC event.

SP will meatball you too. you should see the crazy setups i've seen. it all depends if the club holding the event is paying for low dB or high dB.
Old 08-26-2008 | 03:43 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Interesting how the tracks dB level might vary. That is a surprise to me.

Anyway, I'm not into big sound (so not interested in the MBP set-up), just what I consider to be good sound, as well as weight loss. Very subjective, I know.

Pretty confident now that Fabspeed Mufflers won't cause any loss in power, so I'm keen to try them out.

Really appreciate the input.
Old 08-26-2008 | 03:44 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
the cat on 6gt3 is very well designed. you will not get much hp gain with ANY exhaust system out there. a small gain, 5-10hp, perhaps. more than that is BS.
Hmm, manthey + cargraphic think they can give a TUV 410ps with exhaust (inc headers) + map. Shame they are 15k USD!

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Mufflers - Power loss/gain?