Sponsored by:

bang for the buck mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:52 PM
64lusso
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default bang for the buck mods

I am sure this has been addressed at some point in the past but my searches didn't turn up what I was looking for.
I bought my 04 GT3 new in 04 and finally managed to get to the track this past weekend at VIR and my appetite is now thoroughly whetted to try to make it back there a few times next year as well as to Summit which is where I did most of my SCCA era racing.
I plan to keep this a street car so no race seats or belts, no rock hard springs and the car is already low enough to make some places hard to get into and out of so I don't want to go that route either. I am wrestling with the tire issue but I kind of like the idea of filling the car up with what I need for the weekend and driving to the track and I drove through two downpours on the way to VIR last weekend and one on the way home on Sunday so not so sure that I want to go the MPSC route either.
So once I get the nut behind the wheel a little more tightened down I am curious as to what mods those of you with lots of experience would recommend to me that wouldn't tilt the car too far in the direction of a race car.
All I did to prep for this past weekend was get one of those CG seatbelt locks, flush the brake system with some high temp fluid, and get a mild alignment from Kenny at Werkstatt here in Charlottesville and that seemed to be a good place to start.
If you don't mind I would actually like to rephrase my topic slightly, forgetting the $$'s for a moment, what changes could I make that would have the most positive impact on the track with the least negative impact on street driving?
Thanks, Jay Jessup
Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Great topic, as I'm in a similar situation.

Seats: You can not stay put in the stock seats. Consider the Euro GT3 seats as they are fine on the street and hold you in place. This is a must, I believe.

Wheels: The stock wheels are heavy and will get dinged up on the track, so consider some CCW's and some moderately sticky tires. Oh, and a good floor jack if you don't already have one.

Lap Timer: To keep track of your "improvement" and consistency, a lap timer is a good tool.

Roll Bar: A basic safety item that doesn't get in the way on the street. Get one that attaches to the strut tops, as this really stiffens the car where a lot of the weight (engine) is.

Congrats on getting to the track!
Old 08-15-2008, 05:45 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like GT3 said, get the euro GT3 seats. They are bucket seats but not difficult to get in and out of them. If you really don't plan on using harnesses but want a better seat, you can always go with Recaro reclineable sporster and still have access to rear storage. As for tires, you could run fresh Nitto NT-01 and once they become slicks, get yourself a new set on different wheels and use those when the forecast is not so good.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:06 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

on the 996gt3 there are a lot of exhaust options that make your car sound much faster...not totally necessary but a lot of fun. I'd also think about just getting a really good alignment- makes a world of difference.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd replace the rear toe arms. The stock ones are crap. See many posts re this issue.

You changed brake fluid, but didn't say anything about the pads. The stock ones won't hold up to aggressive tracking. A couple of choices here, do a search for info.

As others said, the stock seats won't hold you in place and they weigh a ton. They gotta go. Stock mufflers also weigh a lot, but that's not really a performance mod. It's more a personal preference thing whether to ditch those too. Track wheels with r-comps are also a must if you're experienced at tracking.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightweight flywheel
4.0 ring and pinon
stick with the CG locks if you are not wanting to do seats -- although I think you will eventually do them
Old 08-15-2008, 07:26 PM
XLR8N-FAN
Instructor

Racing a GT3 is like getting a taste of crack. You have already started down a slippery slope. The best bang for the buck for me was the BMC filter. Better sound and a little more HP. Next thing you know you, you are selling a kidney for seats and wheels.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:43 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can't advance very quickly sliding around in the stock seat..and if you get stickier rubber it will be even worse...teq bar, das bar or gmg roll bar are a minimum for safety IMO...even if you are only DEing...then seat and harness...after safety considerations you can get around to wheels, tires and rear toe links, then sway links then rear upper monoballs....and the beat goes on...most guys fit in a divorce between sway links and rear upper monoballs
Old 08-15-2008, 07:51 PM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Biggest bang for the buck will be data acquisition and proper training.
And you get to keep the knowledge forever.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For a must mod, get the bumpsteer toe arms front and back with shims a proper alignment and from there on the rest of the mods depend on what your looking for.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:38 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Simply: bar, seats, belts
Safety and the seats/belts make a tremendous diff on the track, worth the effort to get out and look the part! And you can still use the factory belts on the steet.
The track is the best way to have fun with the car and let it do what is likes!
Cheers!
Old 08-16-2008, 12:03 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,322 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Item #1 is a set of R comp tires. This is by far the best bang for the buck as this car will be transformed in the way it handles as compared to street tires.

However, once you're pulling higher g forces, GT3 seats are a must as the stock seats don't keep you in place around the corners.

Those as the basics.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with safety and training as priorities and a good seat really saves the back! Consider an exhaust alternative as it really helps to have more noise when you have a helmet on and can make shifting more precise and consistent.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Carefree
Pro

Seats and harnesses made a big difference, especially with R comp tires. Not only is it safety equipment, you use less energy holding your self in place.
I am simply amazed at what lighter wheels and stickier tires do for braking alone, then there are the corners! As we know, A lot of time is made up in the braking zone and corner exit speed.
Since I am in Oregon, I sometimes have to switch from my Champion RG5's (7 lbs lighter per wheel over stock) with Hoosier R6's, back to stock wheels and Cup tires due to light drizzle. Even if the track dries up during the session, the stock set up does not compare.
This really could go on and on, so just step up to the edge and jump off the "slippery slope" like the rest of us.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:06 PM
64lusso
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys. I raced for many years in fact I still have a truck and 24' enclosed trailer and if I wanted a race car I think I would join the ranks of the cup car owners but for now I just want to be able to throw some things in the trunk and behind the seats and head to the track three or four times a year. Once you go to the GT3 seats and bar then it seems to me access to the rear storage area is limited and I pretty much filled up the front storage area with floor jack some wood and mats to lay on as well as tools, pads fluids etc. Plus I found the CG lock did a good job of keeping my butt in the seat even though I know a full harness would have done better. I am sure there are many discussions on tires and wheel choices which I will search out but as to pads my car came with the yellow backed pads which I thought were the Pagid (maybe RS-19?) which I thought were what were recommended for this use? While I wouldn't mind an lighter exhaust I sure don't need a noiser one.
Here's the alignment settings we used camber: -1 1/2 front -2.2 rear, toe 1mm out front, 2mm in rear and he lowered the nose just slightly.
For data aquisition I used a tire gauge, memory tire temperature reader (after each session of course) and a memory stop watch saftey wired to the ash tray top! Not very sophisticated and it had been so long since I used the tire temp thing I kept screwing up the readings but at least it gave me something to go on. Don't know what a good lap at VIR is for a stock GT3 and I have very little time on that track in a skinny tired vintage car but my last three laps were a couple of mid 2:19's followed by a mid 2:18 on Saturday afternoon.
So to sum up I see quite a few mentions of toe links and while I don't want to go this far I know a closer ratio trans would do wonders. No one has mentioned any aero stuff yet, any opnions on cup splitters and whether tilting the stock wing does any good?
Thanks for all the input, keep it coming please.
Jay

Quick Reply: bang for the buck mods