Sponsored by:

End of Dry-Sump engines from Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts
Default End of Dry-Sump engines from Porsche

Autoweek magazine reports that the next 997 Turbo, GT2 and GT3 will be based on same A91 engine used in the normal 911 rather than on the true dry-sump M97 (air cooled) crankcase used previously.

I wonder if the word "upgraded" used by Autoweek truly applies, or if the part of the last sentence of the article "...will further streamline production at Porsche's Zuffenhausen-based engine plant, according to high ranking insiders." says the real truth

Article here:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...THISWEEKSISSUE

Sorry if this is old news.

Last edited by Cupcar; 07-30-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like the new GT3 will simply be a S with a few more HP, no back seat and some decals.

It's a sad day if that's true...
Old 07-30-2008, 06:03 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does using that block preclude dry sumping?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM
mobilett
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
+1
Old 07-30-2008, 06:50 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what all of you are expecting from Porsche AG who have been out of factory racing for more than 10 years.

Also, that new DI motor is going to kick the livin crap out of that dry-sump motor.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
$$$

It will be called an 'integrated dry sump'.
Marketing determined that the VAST majority of the new buyers/demographic don't know, dont' care about a sump (or a GT1 or racing or anything except deviated stitching)

Yes, it's a sad day, the end of an era and the last bridge between wet and dry 911's.

Memo to Dr. W......

See you in hell
Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Also, that new DI motor is going to kick the livin crap out of that dry-sump motor.
How so?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:32 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
that new DI motor is going to kick the livin crap out of that dry-sump motor.

until it spins the bearings...
Old 07-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Time will tell if it's a good move or not.

It is amusing to see how some just assume that the new motor won't live up to the perfomance standards of the current GT1 based units without even seeing if the motor lives up to it's promise. Personally I could care less what oiling system Porsche uses in the car if Porsche can load it into the back of a GT3 RSR and it can run the 24 hours at LeMans and the ALMS endurance events without it going "pop".

I'll wait and see.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Time will tell if it's a good move or not.

It is amusing to see how some just assume that the new motor won't live up to the perfomance standards of the current GT1 based units without even seeing if the motor lives up to it's promise. Personally I could care less what oiling system Porsche uses in the car if Porsche can load it into the back of a GT3 RSR and it can run the 24 hours at LeMans and the ALMS endurance events without it going "pop".

I'll wait and see.
I tend to agree. If this engine goes into a race car and works as well as the GT1 block did, what's the big deal. If Porsche doesn't race it they will basically be saying to enthusiasts "you were right."
Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

I guess you have more confidence in them than I do...to my knowledge there has never been a durable wet sump race motor and the RSR motors can be rebuilt after every race...if you only want your street GT3 motor to last 24 hours then ok...actually, as long as rear main seals are lasting I guess they could replace the bearings too....
Old 07-30-2008, 08:17 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm keeping my car!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Chuck I don't have blind faith in Porsche. I do however believe they may have backed themselves into a corner. As the "intergrated-dry-sump" motors have proved to be problematic, Porsche MUST do something to bring back confidence in the product. Successfully racing with an engine closely related to that of a mainstream engine would go some way to doing that. They are already diluting the product by over-production, by not addressing the quality they will eventually drive away the very people who made the cars popular in the first place, the enthusiast. If the enthusiast walks away, I think the marque will lose much of the attraction to those who buy the cars that pay the bills(Cayennes, Panameras etc.) And so the cookie crumbles. But then, what do I know? Just thinking out loud.

Cheers.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Actually the new engine uses a sophisticated multi-stage oil pump the speed, and therefore output, of which is controlled electronically to optimize lubrication depending on need. The pump is still driven by the crankshaft though.

Maybe this novel solution will work, but I still have my doubts about a flat engine full of many quarts of oil going around a corner...plus or minus braking G...even if the engine looks to be doing pretty well on the test dyno Porsche used to develop it.

Video of engine test dyno here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv53RbvgfGc
Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

I posted that link because I was impressed by the steps they are taking to test the new motor...however, I'm still concerned about durability for the GTseries street cars when they are tracked...if they can get thousands of hours on that motor in the test rig then I had better shut up....the GT1 motor in the 996/7 series GT3s is a marvel to me and the way I can beat that thing up on the track and then drive it home all in 100+ degree heat...Tim, I agree with a lot of what you say...someone has to show that there are alternatives to dry sump and if anyone can accomplish that Porsche can

Quick Reply: End of Dry-Sump engines from Porsche