Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R888 Pressures

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like we are getting a concensus...36F/38R seems to be the sweet spot.

Thanks!!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:22 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3'er
Sounds like we are getting a concensus...36F/38R seems to be the sweet spot.

Thanks!!
- on my 997gt3 with 19s, i like 35f/37r or even 34f/36r for the r888s

- there is no way 40+ works - i have tried it even after the tires were scrubbed in and you lose major grip levels - at these levels i was missing apexes by feet not inches - that is how i found that even lower tempts might be better (i.e. 34/36 versus 36/38) as it was just easier to place the car on the apexes at speed

- try 34/36 and see what you think
Old 07-19-2008, 01:53 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
RA1 38F 40R hot
i was going to TH tomorrow. but oh well..... both cars down.
i need a third track car.
Should have showed at TH yesterday, lightly attended so loads of track time available. Hot as usual for TH in July but nice NCRC event as is typical.
But my day was cut a little short in the GT3 - got the meatball in an afternoon session when a hydraulic fitting came loose and blew fluid all over the place. Managed to get it fixed and limped home.

Also, we had our X19 race car out there and it was a hoot. Thing was running great until the nut holding the crank pulley on came off (while I was driving - man I was just breaking every car I jumped into ) causing the engine to overheat. Oh well, otherwise a successful test and what a difference from the GT3 - touch the brakes too much and you're toast....need to keep that little thing moving through the corners.

Fred, you'll love the rcomps. See some of you guys next month for the PCA event.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:08 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

mike, I'm hoping to run TH with you guys this fall, what websites should I look up for track time schedules?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

cj google track master racing, northern ca racing club, pca golden gate region, unlimited laps.

Mike u know I don't miss events. But the gearbox is out for LSD.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:28 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
mike, I'm hoping to run TH with you guys this fall, what websites should I look up for track time schedules?
CJ, a lot of clubs use this site (including the local PCA) -
http://www.motorsportreg.com/

Also check the TH site (they have a calendar) and some of the other clubs around here - Northern California Racing Club, Track Masters Racing, Hooked on Driving, GGR-PCA, Golden Gate Lotus Club. I'm sure there are more oppy's and the other RListers can chime in if I've missed a few of the local organizations. But these are the groups I've run with.

Let us know your plans so we can be sure to meet up. You'll love the tracks out here - LS and SP are obviously classic, and TH and Buttonwillow are a blast as well.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:31 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
cj google track master racing, northern ca racing club, pca golden gate region, unlimited laps.

Mike u know I don't miss events. But the gearbox is out for LSD.
Ha, beat me to it...fastest poster on the planet

Ahh yes, LSD. Which route did you decide to take and who's doing the work? I'm sure I'll need one soon.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:37 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjb
Ha, beat me to it...fastest poster on the planet

Ahh yes, LSD. Which route did you decide to take and who's doing the work? I'm sure I'll need one soon.
and I'm posting with iPhone (not 3g)
copan is doing it
guards 60/80
Old 07-19-2008, 06:29 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- on my 997gt3 with 19s, i like 35f/37r or even 34f/36r for the r888s

- there is no way 40+ works - i have tried it even after the tires were scrubbed in and you lose major grip levels - at these levels i was missing apexes by feet not inches - that is how i found that even lower tempts might be better (i.e. 34/36 versus 36/38) as it was just easier to place the car on the apexes at speed

- try 34/36 and see what you think
Interesting, i'm going to check it out.

I did notice that when you get real fast and load on the laps, the tires to cook rather fast and the grip level dropps off a lot :/

BTW for people who drive occasionally on street, what pressure do you run, the hot temp pressure?
Old 07-19-2008, 07:23 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In the Spec Boxster I've tried eveything from 45 down to 34 hot. We had settled on 38 hot for awhile but recently I'm liking 34/36.

Of note is how these tires perform on their very first session. Have any of you noticed how sticky they are for the first few laps? We do our qualifying and time trials in a quick 3 lap format and since we're limited to one set per weekend we qualify/TT on a new, cold set. Using pressures of 31 or 32 cold I've found the tires are a full second quicker for those first few laps than they are the next time out. And yes they do get more slippery as the race goes on and the tires heat up....
Old 07-19-2008, 08:29 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
In the Spec Boxster I've tried eveything from 45 down to 34 hot. We had settled on 38 hot for awhile but recently I'm liking 34/36.

Of note is how these tires perform on their very first session. Have any of you noticed how sticky they are for the first few laps? We do our qualifying and time trials in a quick 3 lap format and since we're limited to one set per weekend we qualify/TT on a new, cold set. Using pressures of 31 or 32 cold I've found the tires are a full second quicker for those first few laps than they are the next time out. And yes they do get more slippery as the race goes on and the tires heat up....
Glad it's just not me... It induces more understeer and push once they start cooking, I hate that feeling dammit...

Next up i'm going to try NT01's, only thing is I love the sizes of the R888's, 335;s in rear and I have monsterous grip in my GT2 with no issues, I wonder if 315's will act the same yet be a bit lighter, hmm.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:34 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
http://www.thunderhill.com/html/get_...ill_at_the.HTM

With links to most of the clubs.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:09 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

good i am not imagining then.
also as they age to less then 3/32", the grip would really deteriorate and also induce mucho push, quite the opposite than RA1.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:25 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Frankly, I no longer rate 888s on the GT3 having run a set of cups. I find they overheat at the rear a lot quicker than the cups (although warm up quicker) and as I said before, if the track is hot it's even worse (which I'd expect to be more of a problem for you guys in the sunny USA than here!). Maybe good for autocross as they don't take so long to warm up, and also not too bad in the wet (as long as no standing water) but I'd much prefer to be on cups.

Quick Reply: R888 Pressures