Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braille battery installation (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Braille battery installation (with pics)

After giving this much thought, I finally decided to go with the 15 lb Braille battery model B2015. I know that Rad's 11 lb Braille went dead after one year, but I thought I'd give Braille a shot with a little larger unit and a tender. I got tired of looking for the Deka equivalvent.

http://www.brailleauto.com/productca...duct=3#details

It doesn't have the specs of the macho 33 lb Optima Red Top 75/35, but it's no slouch and I plan on using a tender. I was set on the Optima Red Top until I started looking into ways to securely fasten the battery. The free plastic Optima euro adapters are weak. As previously discussed, they snap onto the ends of the Optima battery and flex/crush when the OEM hold down is tightened. The GMG Optima battery bracket is nice but at $275 , I decided to pass.

The Braille aluminum battery bracket is simple, lightweight, and effective. Installation was straightforward, and everything fit perfectly.

1. The 35 lb stock Moll Kamina.Name:  IMG_1407.JPG
Views: 3172
Size:  135.9 KB

2. The B2015 next to the Kamina.Name:  IMG_1408.JPG
Views: 1470
Size:  132.6 KB

3. OEM tray with the Kamina removed.Name:  IMG_1410.JPG
Views: 1275
Size:  121.6 KB

4. OEM tray removed just to make sure that there would be enough clearance for the Braille self-drilling screws used to fasten the aluminum battery bracket. There is plenty of clearance.Name:  IMG_1414.JPG
Views: 1371
Size:  124.1 KB

5. The Braille bracket.Name:  IMG_1411.JPG
Views: 1448
Size:  112.4 KB

6. The Braille bracket mounted to the OEM tray with 4 screws. Small pilot holes were drilled into the OEM tray. The tray is TOUGH.Name:  IMG_1416.JPG
Views: 2077
Size:  79.2 KB

7. OEM tray reinstalled.Name:  IMG_1417.JPG
Views: 1262
Size:  118.2 KB

8. Battery and fastening plates installed.Name:  IMG_1418.JPG
Views: 1937
Size:  141.0 KB

9. Side view.Name:  IMG_1419.JPG
Views: 1682
Size:  105.0 KB
Old 06-22-2008, 05:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Just had to 1-up me didn't ya! See you next week
Old 06-22-2008, 06:06 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Just had to 1-up me didn't ya! See you next week
This was only made possible 'cause you told me that I didn't need a radio code.

Even without a radio code (that I didn't NEED), I was still going to proceed... I just wanted to know how P*SSED off I was going to be after the job was done when I couldn't turn on the radio.

Catch ya at Lowe's!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Looking good!

If you couldn't turn the radio on, think of the additional weight you would've shed by ripping it out.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:38 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holger B
Looking good!

If you couldn't turn the radio on, think of the additional weight you would've shed by ripping it out.
Sure, the thought crossed my mind!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
This was only made possible 'cause you told me that I didn't need a radio code.

Even without a radio code (that I didn't NEED), I was still going to proceed... I just wanted to know how P*SSED off I was going to be after the job was done when I couldn't turn on the radio.

Catch ya at Lowe's!
What? So you could listen to your Italian lessons on the track like the Stig?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats funny Dell.

Let us know how this battery holds up. I'm thinking of going the same route.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:50 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

The B2015 should have no issues over a weekend of sitting and then hard use. Braille bills it as their light weight 'all season' battery... we'll see how it holds up.

I will be using a quality battery tender, but Braille's specific charging instructions differ greatly from the profiles of the CTEK and Deltran Battery Tender units. Go figure. My CTEK maintainer via the cig lighter seems to be doing a perfect job so far.

Plus, if lose cranking power at the track, I'll just have Dell resuscitate the 3 with the 'Lade!!! YO!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
What? So you could listen to your Italian lessons on the track like the Stig?
I wish. The closest I come to the Stig is using strategically placed bags of frozen meatballs to corner balance my car.

Plus, the radio makes for good listening during all the PCA black flag grid time...
Old 06-23-2008, 01:06 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

RJ,

1) after a track session, leave the engine running at idle for a while (10 minutes). When you shut it off, open the rear lid, and unplug the engine fan, otherwise it will drain your Braille guaranteed.

2) Those bolts on the mounting plate are too long. Put some duct tape underneath, or rubber boots. Otherwise, you could be slowly drilling your fuel tank.

3) Deka sells the replacement battery for $60. Same battery. You should expect no more than 2 years of life out of the Braille battery.

4) Always carry a jump starter for street driving. More than once my Braille let me down, of course this was on the cold NorthEast, this might not happen in NC.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

RJ,

1) after a track session, leave the engine running at idle for a while (10 minutes). When you shut it off, open the rear lid, and unplug the engine fan, otherwise it will drain your Braille guaranteed.
The fan is what worries me most. Interestingly, my fan doesn't run all that much after running hard (when the car is sitting outside). However, pull it into the trailer, even with the doors open, then the fan kicks in.

2) Those bolts on the mounting plate are too long. Put some duct tape underneath, or rubber boots. Otherwise, you could be slowly drilling your fuel tank.
The self drilling screws that came with the kit were only about 1.25" long. I removed the OEM tray just to make sure that I wasn't going to drill into anything. There was plenty of clearance, and I drilled the screws with the tray out of the car.

3) Deka sells the replacement battery for $60. Same battery. You should expect no more than 2 years of life out of the Braille battery.
I found the Deka equivalent of the 11 lb Braille, but not the 15 lb unit. I got tired of looking and just ordered everything from one place.

4) Always carry a jump starter for street driving. More than once my Braille let me down, of course this was on the cold NorthEast, this might not happen in NC.
When stored, I'll keep her on a tender. Daily use hopefully won't be an issue. I have a portable jumper!

Quick Reply: Braille battery installation (with pics)