Sponsored by:

1st HPDE with GT3 - any pointers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:28 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Might want drive on street tires until you get comfortable with the car.
Hey Chris,

I've been driving it quite a bit on the street and have found it a surprisingly easy car to get used to. Part of that comes from how communicative it is to the driver. I'm going to take it easy at the track and just get the feel of it my first time out.

I just can't push the car enough on the street and see how it responds beyond 3/10s. So I think I'll take it to 5/10s this weekend on the track and see how it goes.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the stock Michelin Pilot Sport 2's for the first few events, having come from a 993 Twin Turbo that I tracked or 10 years, and hearing all the horror stories of GT3's biting their owners. Before my first event, I had a proper track alighnment, changed the toe links and engine mounts, and went around at 3/10 to 4/10's, scare s-less that it would bite me for no reason. Every event afterwards, our relationship improved and it rewarded my smooth inputs with better and better lap times. Now that I've fallen off the slippery slope (or cliff) with modifications, the car never ceases to amaze me. The harder you push it, the better it responsed. Yes, I love my GT3....
Old 06-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Carefree
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QuickRick, Amen to the love of your very own GT3 and what it will do for the body and soul.

SWbatte, please update this post after your track day with some pictures and commentary.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Carefree
Pro

SW, it is Sunday night and if your 1st track day (in the GT3) is tomorrow, I hope you have figured out how to get a full nights rest.
I know I struggled with a restless night of "what if's".
Good luck.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:11 AM
brucegre
Banned

Originally Posted by Leigh2
The GT3 won't be as tail happy as the NSX and the brakes are WAY better. Watch the turn in to turn 2 as always (don't lift) and turn three should be a blast. Your velocity into 4 will be high and the car will get light so be smooth and careful. Braking into 5 will be sudden with the elevation change but be careful trail braking with a 911 at any time. The back straight up the hill should be uneventful and remember to be careful with trail braking through the twisties before the front straight. Turn 1 will be scary. I'd tip toe through and ramp the speed up one step at a time. If it rains go for a hot dog and a Coke.
Don't lift in 2, don't lift in 4 and don't lift in 8. I don't mean try them flat, that won't work, but once you are in the corner, you can't lift. You need to plant the rear end with the throttle (gently), the car hates to coast anywhere in a corner.

If it rains, drive the rain line, GT3's are great in the rain. But, the dry line at Mosport is a skating rink (as I'm sure you know).

Have fun!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:51 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
the car never ceases to amaze me. The harder you push it, the better it responsed. Yes, I love my GT3....
This statement is true. This car likes to be pushed hard.

The key is smooth imputs both on the throttle and steering. I thought I was a smooth driver until I got into this car. It does not mask your abrupt inputs like other cars will.

It will take some getting used to, but when you get it right, there is no better feeling in this car. You think you can beat the world in it. The trick is getting from here to there, but the journey is oh so special.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:10 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Flight 747

Love the avatar mate. What a moment!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:16 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

I just went through the same with my new to me 996 gt3...only...I didnt take it very easy. I took the thing by the scruff of the neck and told her to listen up...we learned alot from eachother...

As other have said, be smooth...but be confident as well because the harder you push the car, the faster it goes. Just remember to have VERY sensitive hands. The car tells you everything you need to know before it happens IMHO, you just have to listen and whisper back to it sometimes...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:12 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I just went through the same with my new to me 996 gt3...only...I didnt take it very easy. I took the thing by the scruff of the neck and told her to listen up...we learned alot from eachother...

As other have said, be smooth...but be confident as well because the harder you push the car, the faster it goes. Just remember to have VERY sensitive hands. The car tells you everything you need to know before it happens IMHO, you just have to listen and whisper back to it sometimes...
Where are the pictures, Drew?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:47 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
Where are the pictures, Drew?
they will be posted as soon as I get my event CD...haha
Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 AM
swbatte
Pro

Well guys, my car was grounded on Monday due the new clear bra install. The installer highly recommended letting it set up for a couple of days before I did any spirited driving.

Sooo, it's off to Mosport July 1st. Ughhh, I can't wait to get on the track...

I'll be sure to post some pics with driving impressions the next day!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Jager
Advanced

swbatte: its difficult to drive a GT3 at 4/10 on track, you'll see. The thing just sucks you into its world and eggs you on. The tranny and engine do anything you need. The chassis is very flat. The brakes could stop a cruise ship. The steering is pinpoint with the right alignment. And that engine howl....ok where's the nearest track, I gotta go.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:54 PM
swbatte
Pro

Ok, I was finally out to Mosport yesterday. I had an incredible time with the car. I was a little concerned as a 911 spun out before I went out and another hit a wall. Ouch. But! There were a few yahoos there who thought they were fast but found out they weren't as good, as they were fast. So....

It's an amazing car. I said to my friends that I always thought I understood what magazines meant when they said the "car is not itself unless it's on a track" or, "it loves to change direction". I mean the GT3 must be driven on the track to be appreciated. The NSX should be driven on the track so you know what it can do, but the GT3 has to be driven there just to know what it's all about.

The feedback the car gives the driver is tremendous. I always knew where the wheels were going, where the traction was, how much grip I had on and on. Truly an amazing car. I was a little worried taking it there, because if I didn't like it at the track I'd have known that I've made a mistake. But any buyer's regret or second thoughts are gone now. I love it!

I took it easy, maybe 4/10ths but I can tell already that this will be a car I can stretch my track legs in for several years!
Attached Images   
Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Carefree
Pro

Not sure if 4/10ths is actually measurable, but I can say (if that was the case) the car was still asleep.
SW, the above picture looks much faster than 4/10ths?

The car will take everything you give it, so "give it hell". When is your next track day?
New car name, the Black Beauty!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by swbatte
Ok, I was finally out to Mosport yesterday. I had an incredible time with the car. I was a little concerned as a 911 spun out before I went out and another hit a wall. Ouch. But! There were a few yahoos there who thought they were fast but found out they weren't as good, as they were fast. So....

It's an amazing car. I said to my friends that I always thought I understood what magazines meant when they said the "car is not itself unless it's on a track" or, "it loves to change direction". I mean the GT3 must be driven on the track to be appreciated. The NSX should be driven on the track so you know what it can do, but the GT3 has to be driven there just to know what it's all about.

The feedback the car gives the driver is tremendous. I always knew where the wheels were going, where the traction was, how much grip I had on and on. Truly an amazing car. I was a little worried taking it there, because if I didn't like it at the track I'd have known that I've made a mistake. But any buyer's regret or second thoughts are gone now. I love it!

I took it easy, maybe 4/10ths but I can tell already that this will be a car I can stretch my track legs in for several years!
Sweet!

Come up to Calabogie and get some pointers from Keith and some of the other guys familiar with GT3s.

You will fall in love with the car if you haven't done so already. It is special.

Black beauty .. black magic ...

Quick Reply: 1st HPDE with GT3 - any pointers