1st HPDE with GT3 - any pointers

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:53 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st HPDE with GT3 - any pointers

Hi guys (and girls),

I'm heading to MOSPORT on Monday for an HPDE. I've been to dozens there before and other tracks in my NSX, but this will be my first in my GT3.

Any pointers out there for an advanced driver who is new to the GT3?

I'm all ears.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Smooth inputs and have fun. Treat her with respect and she will reward 10 fold! Assume she will make you a world class driver day 1, and she will bite your ***

Oh yeah, seat time, seat time, and more seat time is where the true skill behind the wheel of these cars comes from. Doesn't hurt to have a PROPER track alignment as well. When was the last time you have it done?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Carefree
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Smooth inputs and have fun. Treat her with respect and she will reward 10 fold! Assume she will make you a world class driver day 1, and she will bite your ***

Oh yeah, seat time, seat time, and more seat time is where the true skill behind the wheel of these cars comes from. Doesn't hurt to have a PROPER track alignment as well. When was the last time you have it done?
Dell is absolutly correct, SMOOTH inputs and you will be fine.
This is my first season with a GT3 and I am having so much fun. I am in the advance run group with ORPCA and my very first session in the GT3 felt like a disaster (at least to me).
Every session after that has been awesome.
Watch out, it is a slippery slope! (addictive).

04 GT3, seats, bar, harnesses, RG5's and Hoosier R6's

Previous Mentionable Cars:
06 BMW M3 SMG - Tracked
01 911 Twin Turbo - Fast
02 Honda S2000, lots of fun!
77 930 Turbo – A real Handful
81 911SC – My first Porsche
68 Shelby GT500 – all Original
70 Mach-1 – Black Beauty
Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

^ +10,000 very different cars, both very nice. Enjoy
Old 06-12-2008, 07:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carefree
Watch out, it is a slippery slope! (addictive). y
Slippery slope my ***! More like a slippery cliff
Old 06-12-2008, 09:12 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

In turns, have faith keeping your foot into it. I had 6 years of 5-6 weekends per year HPDEs in a '93 RX-7 (mod'd to about 380 hp). I was HOT!!! I drove my 993TT in two weekend events. I was HOTTER!!! What's so hard about driving a Porsche???

My first session out in the GT3, Laguna Seca, I was RAGGED and humbled; second session a little less ragged; third session getting there; fourth session I'm warming up; fifth session I am HOT again!!!! Sixth session, near as I can figure, I lifted entering the Corkscrew, back end came around RIGHT NOW. I stopped in the tire barrier.

Treat it with respect, but stay into it. It'll hold far beyond your ability (unless you're a pro driver).
Old 06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

ohhhh Dell..... no way romp it and see how far you can push her!!!!!

kidding.... take your time 6/10s to begin smooth throttle and smooth brakes be ready to correct with the wheel ... the car has enough speed and ability to run with any car out there!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:19 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

Dont compare laptimes with your nsx if u have a laptimer. Definitely want to start pushing it past your limit.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Carefree
Pro

Dell, you are full of humor. I fell off the cliff (just ask my wife) but I still have a big *** grin and 3 track days lined up in 2 weeks.

SW, PLEASE give us an idea of how your car is set up and don't leave anything out?

I just checked on some PFC 01 brake pads as an upgrade, $625.00 For Pads only, this is maddening. I will blame Dell and everyone else Rennlist for all of this, an answer is only a click away. Money does grow on tree's, just ask Sunset Porsche because they keep pruning my tree!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Man I still remember the first time I drove a GT3 on track. I find that it has lots of feed back, and is rather controllable at the limit (and beyond), but I was certainly surprised by how little warning it can give before letting go. With the stock suspension, there's lots of movement, and is rather sensitive to throttle, especially for having such little torque. As has been said above, treat it with respect, be firm and smooth, and try to anticipate. Humbling, very fun, and rather addictive.
Ahmet
Old 06-12-2008, 11:15 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Like Dell already mentioned, proper alignment is very critical on this car. Sort that out first before start learning about smooth inputs, brakings and play around with weight transfers. My first few trackdays are total nightmares because alignment is wreck! Car drove like mad. Scary! Also, start with the street tires.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:16 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good input guys! Thanks.

My suspension is the factory setup. It only has 8000 miles on it (the previous owner used it as a garage queen) so no alignment work has been done on it. I will watch it coming out of the corners and am looking forward to having useable power in 2nd coming out of a tight turn at Mosport (5a &b for you Canucks).

The NSX was so unflappable. It made you feel like a super hero driver. I'm planning to actually go slower in the GT3 my first few times out to get the feel for how the car responds and feels.

I'm really looking forward to it!
Old 06-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The GT3 won't be as tail happy as the NSX and the brakes are WAY better. Watch the turn in to turn 2 as always (don't lift) and turn three should be a blast. Your velocity into 4 will be high and the car will get light so be smooth and careful. Braking into 5 will be sudden with the elevation change but be careful trail braking with a 911 at any time. The back straight up the hill should be uneventful and remember to be careful with trail braking through the twisties before the front straight. Turn 1 will be scary. I'd tip toe through and ramp the speed up one step at a time. If it rains go for a hot dog and a Coke.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Might want drive on street tires until you get comfortable with the car.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:18 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carefree
Dell, you are full of humor. I fell off the cliff (just ask my wife) but I still have a big *** grin and 3 track days lined up in 2 weeks.

SW, PLEASE give us an idea of how your car is set up and don't leave anything out?

I just checked on some PFC 01 brake pads as an upgrade, $625.00 For Pads only, this is maddening. I will blame Dell and everyone else Rennlist for all of this, an answer is only a click away. Money does grow on tree's, just ask Sunset Porsche because they keep pruning my tree!
You ain't kidding! Only problem is my tree has been pruned and subsequently uprooted and hauled away!

I'll talk to you offline......PM on it's way

Quick Reply: 1st HPDE with GT3 - any pointers