Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTK: Slotted or Floating Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008 | 09:58 PM
PK996C2
Rennlist Member

Default WTK: Slotted or Floating Rotors

Sick of the short life of the OEM front rotors. Thinking slotted or floating to get more DE days out of a set. Running Pagid RS19's. Worried about noise with floating rotors as my car is still used on the street from time to time.

Any advice? Brands or specific parts?

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2008 | 10:29 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

if you get PFC they will only run PFC pads... pagid will not fit
i like the PFC rotor does really well on my gt2 from 170 to 40 and no issues get slotted what ever you decide longer life just add some cooling ducts to them
Old 05-27-2008 | 11:00 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

I have floating Alcons with Pagid 29. They are great. No street noise and really durable (but not cheap
)
Old 05-27-2008 | 11:18 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had AP floating rotors. The car sounded like both mufflers were dragging the ground all the time except when you engaged the brakes - hated them. Also, the brake feel on track wasn't great. There was a slight lag between pushing the brake pedal and actual braking followed by a very momentary lock of the front wheels. Also, I didn’t like the idea of spacers between the caliper and upright. On the positive side, the rotors transferred significantly less heat to the front wheels and therefore the bearings. I’m very happy with Cup rotors.

Hank
Old 05-28-2008 | 12:20 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know what the performance and longevity difference will be between the PFC dimpled and PFC slotted rotors?
Old 05-28-2008 | 07:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Chuck, there is a difference between the two (dimpled are "street" slotted are "motorsport"). Both price and hardware are the differences, however the main difference (other than the obvious slotting) is the hardare. The street set has no "float" to the 2-piece setup while the motorsport have different hardware (AN aerospace/mil spec) that is able to sustain much higher loads and the different design allows for "floating". With that said, I will have data soon as I have been running the dimpled for 3 changes and am moving to the Motorsport (slotted) next to get data (both braking and longevity).

FYI.....the rotors start out life the same but the slotting takes much more machining. The hats are the same. The hardware is totally different that connect the hat to the rotor.

One more thing. While there is an obvious price difference, the dimpled set is phenomenal so I can't wait to see what the slotted setup feels like.

Last edited by LVDell; 05-28-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-28-2008 | 10:41 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn
I had AP floating rotors. The car sounded like both mufflers were dragging the ground all the time except when you engaged the brakes - hated them. Also, the brake feel on track wasn't great. There was a slight lag between pushing the brake pedal and actual braking followed by a very momentary lock of the front wheels. Also, I didn’t like the idea of spacers between the caliper and upright. On the positive side, the rotors transferred significantly less heat to the front wheels and therefore the bearings. I’m very happy with Cup rotors.

Hank
+1 on the cup rotors. I switched over to use PFC pads instead of Pagids and the cup + pfc combo is working out fantastic. The life seems very good on both parts. Much more life than I was expecting.
Old 05-28-2008 | 11:15 AM
CT03911
Banned

I have the Brembo slotted and floating rotors. They are noisy on the street. somewhere around 23 track days so far and a few more in them. I got five out of the OEM rotors. I can live with the noise.
Attached Images   
Old 05-28-2008 | 01:01 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by CT03911
I have the Brembo slotted and floating rotors. They are noisy on the street. somewhere around 23 track days so far and a few more in them. I got five out of the OEM rotors. I can live with the noise.
Those are the ones! So much better than the cup rotors (3-5 days until toasted) or any one piece iron rotor. I have about 12 hard days on mine (200-300 track miles per day) and they are only now showing signs of wear. They work great with the stock pads, which are designed to be a heat sink in order to keep heat out of the caliper. Aluminum hats keep heat away from wheel bearings. 8 lbs unsprung weight savings per corner. No vibration on corner entry when trail braking. Just got new pads and fluid and I'm gonna get new rotors and hardware next; then proceed to flog for the next 2+ years.

I think the noise is nice. They dont make any noise when they are hot. Do the math.
Old 05-28-2008 | 04:57 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by rabjohns
I have floating Alcons with Pagid 29. They are great. No street noise and really durable (but not cheap
)
+1

You get what you pay for.

Alcons are the best brake discs available for the GT3: larger at 362mm providing more brake leverage, solid floaters made of a specially treated steel for amazing durability, anti-rattle shims so they are silent in operation and on the road, and their design does not restrict you to choice of brake pad (unlike PFCs). 100% compatible with the Porsche 6 pot calipers.

I think their durability and performance justify the price tag.

If I sound like an advert for them, it's because I've been surprised at their performance many times over the past 30k miles I've run them (still the 1st set of discs which are only half worn), despite their cost. I honestly think they're over-engineered to their commercial detriment!

Old 05-28-2008 | 05:43 PM
Jager
Advanced

I have the AP floating slotted with OEM Pagid pads. Noisy for sure but I kinda like it. For one thing, my mufflers could fall off and I'd never know it. The rotors are a bit larger than OEM. They are a big upgrade from OEM in terms of stopping power - can't say about durability yet. Still nowhere near the ceramics tho.
Old 05-28-2008 | 06:23 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Dell,

Please let us know what the differences are. I'm on my first set of dimpled, but have not really had a chance to test them fully. So far, they are OK, but not overwhelming. I'm going to put on 01s in the rear (97 front) to see if there is an improvement. I drove a student's with 01s all around, and I liked it.
Old 05-28-2008 | 07:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Sure thing!
Old 05-28-2008 | 09:36 PM
PK996C2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rabjohns
)
Can't find them anywhere on the net. Can you please send me a link?

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2008 | 10:09 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Try this:

http://www.arlanmotorsport.com/motor...lcon/index.asp

Quick Reply: WTK: Slotted or Floating Rotors