Sponsored by:

315/30 MPSC

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 AM
db_gt3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,
You really can't go wrong with the e88 for gt3. Can't argue with Fikse either.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:07 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Absolutely. The E88 is a fantastic wheel. Very lightweight and very strong.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI here is the text from the Michelin Power Point Presentation on the MPSC:
• Another thing to remember: Bigger isn’t always better, both in terms of ease of driving and in terms of lap times.
• If you take a look at ALMS (prototype, GTS, or GT classes) tire/wheel combination, you will see that – even if the rules permit it – overly “fat” tires are rarely used.
• Bigger isn’t always better, both in terms of ease of driving and in terms of lap times.
• Frequently the tire looks “stretched out” on the application wheel, forming what looks to be a “trapezoidal” cross-section, with the tread width close to or less than the width of the tire’s beads. This is because of the simple fact that a “high-tension” tire shape is more efficient in most cases than a fat “low-tension” shape.
• If you are confronted with the choice of squeezing a big tire onto its minimum recommended wheel width or stretching a smaller tire onto a relatively wide rim, you might want to pause for thought.
• We have found the smaller-tire + wide-rim combination, with its accompanying “high tension” inflated shape, can be more efficient.
• More direct yaw response. Decreased “phase lag” between steering wheel input and vehicle turn it.
• Less “overshoot” at corner exit. Less of a tendency to “wiggle” at corner exit (thus upsetting the car) when you roll back onto the throttle.
• Can result in decreased negative camber requirements, thus increasing braking and acceleration efficiency.
• Can improve vehicle response to air pressure tuning
Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Leigh, good post on the text from Michelin. That's what I have said here so good to post the brand confirmation.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just switched from running Toyo 888s for 2 years to MPSCs in standard sizes (235/295 F/R) and they are night and day better. The tyres are more incisive, don't overheat nearly as quickly, offer more grip, are more comfortable on the road and don't make a hideous droning noise at 70mph.

I won't be going back to Toyos unless its for cold winter/rain (without standing water).

Having also changed my suspension to intrax 4 ways initially on the toyos, the cups are without doubt the final piece of the puzzle. The car feels amazing now - so neutral + forgiving but without roll and still able to take kerbs.

In hindsight I'd suggest that 888s don't really suit the 911.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Michelin also has regrooving instruction for using the cup tires in wet weather. You can download their brochure at http://www.tirerack.com/tires-techpage-1/62.shtml
Page 7 explains the patterns. I haven't tried it so no comments as to whether it works or not.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:13 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marcin,
It does not work with 11" wheels. Many people have tried it here and all corded the tire on the edge in 30% of their usual tire life. The tire will fit and it will not rub, but it will roll over in a hard corner and the contact patch will be very small. In a straight line or drag race the 315 MPSC would be fine. Stop modifying and drive. Learn the car you have.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I've always liked Cups. Some very accomplished guys in our area have tried Hoosiers, BFG R1s etc. and have always gone back to Cups.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Hoosiers to Cups? That makes no sense Chris. The MPSC is a slower tire than the R6. You'll have to elaborate on that one.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any thoughts on going to a wider rear tire in conjunction with the 4.0 ring and pinion?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

1. Why?
2. What are you currently running?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
What's not to understand? A 12" wheel is not "correct" in the back so why to "mash" it in a space not designed to accommodate it? Sure, a 12" would hold the tire better but the car will not hold the wheel better. Better?
Ah, I see your perspective. It's why I almost went for 7.5 width rims on my WRX instead of 8s. It would fit better I said to myself, don't want to push things... However, I went with 8s, rolled the rear fenders and everything fits fine. I'm very happy with it and I think the performance and feel is better because of it. So my point is just that I've spoken in person to someone who runs 12s with almost no issue (I think he said there is one place where he "thinks" he hears a rub on the fender, but a roll would fix this). 12 is better than 11 so if it was my car, I'd do it along with 9 or 9.5 fronts.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:28 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

1. Why?
2. What are you currently running?
stock sized MPSC 235/295 with stock r&p

was considering going wider when I need new tires and after 4.0 r&p installation...

At this point just thinking out loud...
Old 05-30-2008, 06:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yargk
Ah, I see your perspective. It's why I almost went for 7.5 width rims on my WRX instead of 8s. It would fit better I said to myself, don't want to push things... However, I went with 8s, rolled the rear fenders and everything fits fine. I'm very happy with it and I think the performance and feel is better because of it. So my point is just that I've spoken in person to someone who runs 12s with almost no issue (I think he said there is one place where he "thinks" he hears a rub on the fender, but a roll would fix this). 12 is better than 11 so if it was my car, I'd do it along with 9 or 9.5 fronts.
What does "almost" no issue mean? Further, why would you want to run a 12" wheel back there? It is not a proper fit. You would be adding weight which is the last thing you want on these cars, plus you have to run an uber wide tire (more weight) which has no benefit. I'm just confused why some feel bigger is better when it comes to tires.

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
stock sized MPSC 235/295 with stock r&p

was considering going wider when I need new tires and after 4.0 r&p installation...

At this point just thinking out loud...
I do that all the time.

It's not so much the width that will affect the new final drive as it is the diameter. If you stick with cups, stick with 295's. If you want to head outside that playground, then there are many options to try out until you find what you like.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:53 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

What does "almost" no issue mean? Further, why would you want to run a 12" wheel back there? It is not a proper fit. You would be adding weight which is the last thing you want on these cars, plus you have to run an uber wide tire (more weight) which has no benefit. I'm just confused why some feel bigger is better when it comes to tires.

I do that all the time.

It's not so much the width that will affect the new final drive as it is the diameter. If you stick with cups, stick with 295's. If you want to head outside that playground, then there are many options to try out until you find what you like.

I am going to put in the r&p and see what it is like with the stock sizes... if okay, then I am man enough to leave well enough alone

if I need more... Roberga is my local contact running the big R6 meats

Quick Reply: 315/30 MPSC