Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Experience w/KW Coilovers ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:11 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any Experience w/KW Coilovers ???

Looking to see if anyone has experience w/the KW Varient 3 coil overs?

Considering H&Rs RSS clubsport/Supercup or PSS10s.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:53 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them and love them.

I was trying to decide between KWv3s and either the Moton CS/JRZ stuff...

For my uses I could not justify the costs of the Moton/JRZ.... yet

So I have done two track days with the KWv3s and think they are great... the shop I got them at installed, lowered, aligned and corner balanced the car. Night and day difference compared to stock.

I would highly reccomend them BUT I do not have much to compare them to... just the stock ones...

I called Rennworx and inquired about the Manthey Custom Valved KWs as well and again, could not justifiy the cost for my uses.

I have yet to adjust the ones on my car -- they are great on the track and I am not doing a lot of street driving so I do not mess with them -- they are not bad on the street either though...

Essentially the advice I was given when it came to motons and KWs --
do you trailer to the track or drive?
I drive

do you run slicks?
no, MPSCups

given your limited experience (6 days of track driving prior to installation) do you think you would know what to do with all the adjustments on the Motons? probably not yet... beyond firmer for track and softer for street I would rely on pros to help set up the car...

Are motons in the future... I cannot say that as of today my speed is limited by the KWs... So I will spend the money on driver improvment

Am I glad I did it and would I do it over -- yes
Old 05-23-2008, 01:02 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I've got the H&R RSS Clubsports on my regular 996. I picked them as they provided the increased spring rate that I wanted without too much to fiddle with that will allow me to work on the nut behind the wheel. I'm very happy with the H&R RSS Clubsports BUT this should not be a consideration on your list. You've already got a hight-only adjustable coilover on the car...if you're not going to an bump / rebound adjustable setup simply re-spring and re-valve what you've already got as a cheaper solution. The damper in the GT3 is very comparable to what's used in the H&R Clubsport coilover.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:26 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

You already have H&R springs on the car. For dampers adjustable would be the way to go for a GT3. Depending on your shop and local guys setting are pretty easy to come by. My suspension guy provides you with a booklet with setting for different tracks for wet, dry, and AutoX wet and dry. He happens to be the engineer for Alex Jobs racing. He does this for JRZ and Motons but I am sure you will be able to find the right shop and friends. Good luck
Old 05-23-2008, 01:44 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

This is not for a GT3....should have mentioned that. I currently have Bilstein HD's and Eibachs...so anyting is going to be a huge advancement. The H&Rs come w/camber plates and monoballs which is pretty trick..just worried that will be too stiff for street. KW's are getting good reviews and I understand are now the #1 choice in Europe over Bilstein and H&R....in fact I understand the founders of KW are engineers from Bilstein or H&R...go figure.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2008, 01:47 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Here's a pic of the H&Rs.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2008, 01:53 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

...and the venerable Bilstein...PSS10 flavor
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2008, 02:05 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

looking at the avatar: are you in LA and is it fir a 964? If you are in LA give Joey at BBIautosport a call. He is in Huntington Beach and used to be with white lightning when they had Porsches. They did run KW and I have heard good things about performance and price.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:36 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

I run the Manthey KWs which are revalved KW3, and I also run with monoball tops.

For a mixed road/track car they are simply superb.

Last edited by zoomzoom; 05-23-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:29 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

If you got them from Manthey they are certainly "the best"...and I'm sure they are priced like "the best"!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:36 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

LOL, yeah Manthey fitted them for me.

But for something as fundamental as suspension on the GT3, I don't see the point in messing around with generic solutions. I don't know of any uprated suspension that has been tested as much as the MMKWs, specifically for the GT3 and which benefit from the substantial quality of KW. I think they are worth the premium over similar generic suspension kits.

There are certainly more sophisticated 4-way suspension kits out there (JRZ/Moton/Intrax etc), but for a road+track car I don't see the point. If I were racing, had logging and telemetry, and drove the car constantly at 10/10ths week in week out, then 4-ways may make sense but until then... no.

As it is, one of the Supercup drivers (Sean Edwards - quali P4 for this weekend's Monaco Supercup) reckons my car is the best setup 996GT3 he has ever driven - and I take that as a vote of confidence considering my car doesn't have the latest/fandabadoo-4-way-titanium suspension jobbies
Old 05-23-2008, 10:33 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zoomzoom

But for something as fundamental as suspension on the GT3, I don't see the point in messing around with generic solutions. I don't know of any uprated suspension that has been tested as much as the MMKWs, specifically for the GT3 and which benefit from the substantial quality of KW. I think they are worth the premium over similar generic suspension kits.

There are certainly more sophisticated 4-way suspension kits out there (JRZ/Moton/Intrax etc), but for a road+track car I don't see the point. If I were racing, had logging and telemetry, and drove the car constantly at 10/10ths week in week out, then 4-ways may make sense but until then... no.

As it is, one of the Supercup drivers (Sean Edwards - quali P4 for this weekend's Monaco Supercup) reckons my car is the best setup 996GT3 he has ever driven - and I take that as a vote of confidence considering my car doesn't have the latest/fandabadoo-4-way-titanium suspension jobbies
I feel similarly -- for combo road and track car the KWs (even my generic ones) have been fantastic.

FWIW --
KWv3s are around $3000-3500 depending on where you get them...
manthey KWv3s were $5000 when I checked on them a while back
Old 05-24-2008, 05:00 AM
JMeager
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoom

But Ade, he said MY car was the best setup GT3 ...... think he's being a good salesman

I have the MMKW's and rate them highly. Even though the spring rate is higher than stock you'd never know it.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:44 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

I think KWs are good for the money. I've gone for intrax 4 ways though as they were the only dampers I've found that I was confident would not only be better on track, but also better on road. Twice as much as KWs though, so not in direct competition if money is a consideration.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Rob Mc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently fitted Manthey KWs prior to doing Nurburgring and Spa this month and can only say they are superb. They give enough adjustment and deliver feel that gives a confidence that stock cannot provide.

Quick Reply: Any Experience w/KW Coilovers ???