Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Lip spoiler - what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer in Seattle is very expensive. They will come down in price if you come back with a counter offer from a different dealer.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:57 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
I don't ever remember them being $100. The Cup splitter (wider and thicker) purchased form places like TRG, etc, runs $150. The OEM splitter which is thinner and narrower is just over $200 from most dealers. Not sure where the $360 price tag was manufactured for PJS but that is laughable!
Barrier Motors
Bellevue, WA

Maybe the $360 was for the splitter and the hardware (kidding)

They do great work there, but I told them that I would take care of my own splitter needs...

I said I could pay retail on cup splitters and get them for $150 or so... maybe they should buy a couple and stock them... and maybe sell them for $185 to guys like me who want it NOW so I am willing to pay a bit more...

I was told that "there isn't much call for them so we do not stock them"

My retort: "at $360, I can see why"
Old 05-16-2008, 02:40 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche Motorsport sells the Cup splitter for $112 (wholesale), however they only sell to distributors. Does any one have a connection, how about a group buy?
Old 05-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently paid $149.00 for the RS splitter.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:41 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I gave up on the splitter. It kept coming off in daily use. My car is a daily driver as well as track car.

So I've run without it for 3+ years, including MANY days at Watkins Glen, VIR and Mid-Ohio.
I'm sure that something would be a little better with the splitter installed, but I suspect the difference is small. As example I'm pretty fast in the Watkins Glen esses, reaching 150+ at the busstop. I feel NO understeer at all; the car is stable.

I'm sure the real racers don't have the splitter installed for its looks -- it must be doing something worthwhile, but I don't feel its removal has any material effect.

I would be very happy to hear fact-based (rather than emotion-based, like my own, opinions on the subject.

TIA, CIA, etc.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by jmla
Porsche Motorsport sells the Cup splitter for $112 (wholesale), however they only sell to distributors. Does any one have a connection, how about a group buy?
yo dont need group buy.
PM viper bob, i bet he can come close to that .
Old 05-17-2008, 06:31 AM
Christoph_Li
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Especially on the autobahn once you are approaching a slight curve at lets say 180mph it is getting really nasty. More than that if you approach after a long highspeed run a curve and brake hard.
I was so suprised after my first days riding the car (pagid yellow) how quite the car is in this situation. With my old 996C2 i needed 2 lanes on the road...
Don't judge me wrong, I am just a bit on the nurburgring and not an active racer.
Just comparing my old 996C2 and now the changings in aerodynamic are significant to let the car being quite and not nervous.
Also, lots of people are going to install the RAM system to get more downforce and air.
Friend of mine installed the aerokid lip on his 996TT. He knows it looks pretty ugly but does his job.
Understand, below lets say 140mph you hardly feel anything but once you speed up I think this splitter is necessary..!
I have the feeling that the new splitters are pretty flexible comparing to the older once. Especially the 997Gt3 Splitter is like a rubber.
I'd like the idea to put some iron screws in it. Once mine comes off I will definetly put them in.
best regards
Chris
Old 05-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

"Iron screws"? Don't do that. The splitter is a throwaway. The bumper is not.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:39 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And the "screws" which are more plastic push-pins are quite inexpensive (from memory 42 cents)... I replaced my front lip once, and have been didligent about keeping the push pins secured and replaces after each track event.

I have no clue how you daily-driver guy do it. I find that I scrape just about eveything when I take this car out on the street.

-Blake
Old 05-17-2008, 01:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You mean these cars can be driven on the street?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:06 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
You mean these cars can be driven on the street?
Exactly! Within 5 days of picking it up, I had ripped off my first front lip. Here in Utah, the drainage ditches on the side of the road are very deep. It is just not conducive to driving these cars into & out of parking lots.... PITA!

It's a geography thing I guess...

-Blake
Old 05-17-2008, 02:20 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrence_P
"Iron screws"? Don't do that. The splitter is a throwaway. The bumper is not.
Iron screws are not a problem. It is a problem if you bolt it in. Search, and you will find several more threads on this subject. One of the postings recommends drywall screws, I believe.

For me, I just use the standard mounting pins, but have added exterior double-sided tape. The standard spoiler comes with tape mounted, the RS (which I have) does not.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 AM
KCPSG
Rennlist Member

I've had to replace my splitter a few times already. It takes about an hour...the push pins (I purchased 2 doz) cost me $5 from dealer in Baton rouge delivered to me. The Cup splitter was $139. And 1 roll of double sided tape $5 from pep boys = $149 + 1 hr of my time to remove old splitter, remove old double sided tape, install new tape & install new splitter.

The splitter is a consumable & very easy to replace. I would never consider using anything to try to permanently attach splitter to bumper.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:23 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
local dealer quoted me $360 for an oem 996 GT3 splitter... hilarious...

I got two cup splitters from GMG for less than what the dealer wanted for one...
That's because the Cup splitter is about a third of the price - even at the dealer. Porsche just quoted me £154.70 plus vat for the standard one, and £62 plus vat for the Cup part. I've ordered a cup one :-).

The Mk1 splitter is under £40...
Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmug
That's because the Cup splitter is about a third of the price - even at the dealer. Porsche just quoted me £154.70 plus vat for the standard one, and £62 plus vat for the Cup part. I've ordered a cup one :-).

The Mk1 splitter is under £40...
My dealer does not offer the CUP splitter... and claims to not be able to get it...

Oh well...

Quick Reply: GT3 Lip spoiler - what to do.