Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost for brake pads and installation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a DIY for bleeding the brakes? Can I put speedbleeders on (this made life easy with my former track car) or should I buy one of those Mitivac devices I saw on the CDOC website? thanks.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:08 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rceron
Is there a DIY for bleeding the brakes? Can I put speedbleeders on (this made life easy with my former track car) or should I buy one of those Mitivac devices I saw on the CDOC website? thanks.
Quite a bit posted on this topic (try a search). I use a Motive bleeder as do many on this forum I believe. It's easy, cheap, and does a pretty good job. I've found that my bleed job with the Motive gives as good a pedal feel as a dealer bleed/flush.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:17 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

I used Speedbleeders for many years on my RX-7. For some reason, never thought of it for this car. I also use the Motive Power Bleeder.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OEM Brake pads

Time for some new pads all around. Local Porsche dealer quotes me 1300 dollars installed. Whats the cost difference if I find a good independant shop? Any recomendations for the East end of Long Island?
I have a set of OEM brakepads from my 996 GT3 that have less than 1500 miles on them, none of them track miles. As soon as I bought the car, I changed to Pagid 29/14's.

You can have them FREE/you can pick them up in either Amagansett, Great Neck or my office in Hempstead.

$1300 is a rip off.

I use Rudtner's in Freeport for all my work/no experience on the East End but I know it would be more expensive there.

Rick
Old 05-18-2008, 01:07 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A very easy diy, I'll walk you thru it!
Rudners is great, tkx also good. 1300 is a major rip.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:41 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I also want to say it is a WASTE to pay anything to get new pads installed.

The whole process takes under an hour -- IMO you do need a friend on-hand to help with the fronts, but it is EASY and there is a DIY document on Rennlist.

I also agree that you should bleed the brakes if that has never been done in the now 4-year lifetime of the car.

LASTLY, won't you feel good that you have contributed something to your car, rather than all the goodness coming from the car to you so far?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
I also want to say it is a WASTE to pay anything to get new pads installed.

The whole process takes under an hour -- IMO you do need a friend on-hand to help with the fronts, but it is EASY and there is a DIY document on Rennlist.

I also agree that you should bleed the brakes if that has never been done in the now 4-year lifetime of the car.

LASTLY, won't you feel good that you have contributed something to your car, rather than all the goodness coming from the car to you so far?
Only thing I would add to this is you should BLEED with every pad change and flush at a minimum every 2 years if street only and flush every season if track only.

Why do you feel that you need a friend to help with the fronts?

Quick Reply: Cost for brake pads and installation?