Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light Flywheel for 996 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008 | 10:18 PM
swbatte
Pro

Default Light Flywheel for 996 GT3?

I'm looking at buying a 6GT3, which is having its RMS repaired this week. I understand that having the flywheel replaced with the GT3 RS's is a significant upgrade and this would be a great time to do it.

I have a few questions...
What experience do you guys have with it?
What were the associated costs?
Is there any downside to doing it?
Anyone know the Porsche part number?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2008 | 10:30 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice!

Well everyone, here we go, the flywheel discussion is back by popular demand!

Swbatte, if you do an advanced key word search through 996 GT3/GT2 forum, you'll find much discussion on this topic that may help you. My best advice is to use the Sachs Cup Car pressure plate, that's the only one I'd ever supply. It is more expensive in initial part purchase price but will save you in the long run. The one they call the Porsche Genuine RSR pressure plate is actually the twin turbo's plate and it will fail early from track usage, it's made by AP. The genuine one can be identified by it's orange paint on the tines. You want the Sachs!
Old 05-04-2008 | 10:31 PM
Carefree
Pro

Unhappy

SwBatte, I have heard this is a great upgrade, but have not done it.
How many miles are on your GT3?
Was your clutch slipping or noticable oil drips?
Old 05-04-2008 | 10:35 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

I have had it for three years. Did the same when having warranty work done. Parts were about $2000. I did the RS(Sachs) pressure plate as well.
Some will say the noise is a downside but not an issue for me.
15 pounds less at the end of the crank.
Old 05-04-2008 | 11:14 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

if you are having the RMS done it is the perfect time to do the LWFW...it will transform the car...as long as you don't mind a little more mechanical noise when in neutral...+1 on the Sachs
Old 05-05-2008 | 02:31 AM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Great mod, but I've noticed some chatter (vibration) while releasing the pedal during engagement. The clattering sound at idle doesn't bother me.

Last edited by jmla; 05-05-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2008 | 06:42 AM
zoomzoom
Racer

A great upgrade to do.

The extra noise at idle is like a slow coffee grinder noise - it adds to the whole GT3 experience whilst allowing more precise rev matching for heel'n'toe'ing.
Old 05-05-2008 | 12:33 PM
swbatte
Pro

Thanks Guys,

I should have searched this topic, I was just so eager about getting going with the car, that I didn't have my brain on full power when I made this post. The flame was gentle so thanks for that!

The car has 8000 miles on it. When we got under it, you could see the oil leaking back towards the tranny and onto it.

The gentleman selling the car had the car in for service on Wednesday before I arrived and told the dealer to make it perfect as someone was coming to look at it. I saw the work order. I guess either: a. the mechanic can't make time on it, so didn't want to do the work; or b. the dealer won't fix it under warranty unless the customer complains about it to keep their warranty index down nice and low with corporate.

Either way it's getting done.

How hard is it to source the part? Anyone have a website?

Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2008 | 01:16 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Sachs Clutch Flywheel

Originally Posted by swbatte
I'm looking at buying a 6GT3, which is having its RMS repaired this week. I understand that having the flywheel replaced with the GT3 RS's is a significant upgrade and this would be a great time to do it.

I have a few questions...
What experience do you guys have with it?
What were the associated costs?
Is there any downside to doing it?
Anyone know the Porsche part number?

Thanks!
I did the same when replacing my 3.4L engine with a remanufactured one. Bought used from a friend and love it. The rattle when the clutch is out is no big deal. Sometimes you forget the clutch makes the rattle and think something is wrong with the engine!

Spools up faster for sure.
Old 05-05-2008 | 01:38 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

where are you located? Might be able to get the parts local. TRG and Viper are two.
Old 05-05-2008 | 03:04 PM
Jetmech
Racer

I have driven both on the track and know that the LWFW is funner...."is that a word". You also need the RS Wing, Euro Seats, harness, track tires, and track time, track time, track time.....
Old 05-05-2008 | 11:12 PM
swbatte
Pro

A new development!!!

The car was re-inspected by Jackie Cooper Porsche in Tulsa and the tech said that the grease found on the transmission was a packing material used to protect the metal during shipment from Germany and that the RMS is fine.

Does that sound possible to you guys?

PS. I completely agree that track time is a requisite and the best thing you can spend your money on to go faster safely. I used to stand on that soap box on NSXPRIME to the new NSX owners who couldn't wait to spend $$$$ on their car in the search of more speed.
Old 05-05-2008 | 11:42 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

i would find another place to do a PPI. Will the car still have the warranty? If it is wet, it is the RMS.
Old 05-06-2008 | 02:31 PM
swbatte
Pro

Ok, they looked at it again and low and behold there was a leak at the RMS. It's being repaired today.
Old 05-06-2008 | 05:14 PM
spare tire
Racer

Originally Posted by Austin
Nice!

Well everyone, here we go, the flywheel discussion is back by popular demand!

Swbatte, if you do an advanced key word search through 996 GT3/GT2 forum, you'll find much discussion on this topic that may help you. My best advice is to use the Sachs Cup Car pressure plate, that's the only one I'd ever supply. It is more expensive in initial part purchase price but will save you in the long run. The one they call the Porsche Genuine RSR pressure plate is actually the twin turbo's plate and it will fail early from track usage, it's made by AP. The genuine one can be identified by it's orange paint on the tines. You want the Sachs!
Austin, Why would the twin turbo cluch fail sooner? The torque from a GT3 is over 100# less than the TT? I don't doubt that your right, but why?

Quick Reply: Light Flywheel for 996 GT3?