Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto NT01 --- new convert

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:30 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When are u trying them? Let us know how u like them?

Stephan
Old 04-24-2008, 04:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have run the Nitto's and absolutely LOVED them! DO a search for Nitto and LVDell and you will see detailed write-ups. I got something like 40+ HC's out of them before I corded them. YOu can run them to the cord and they are very easy to control at the slip angle. Only problem is I sampled slicks and haven't looked back
Old 04-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Modoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I have run the Nitto's and absolutely LOVED them! DO a search for Nitto and LVDell and you will see detailed write-ups. I got something like 40+ HC's out of them before I corded them. YOu can run them to the cord and they are very easy to control at the slip angle. Only problem is I sampled slicks and haven't looked back
Dell
Now that you are back just wanted to let you know I followed your advice re NT 01 (245/315) and had them mounted on Forgelines for my first event of the year. All I can say is Holy S--- !!! What a difference !
This was my first R compound tire and they were very predictable. Very consistent taking the set and when I would cross the line easy to catch. They gave plenty of warning. I just hope I can get 40 HC's with them.
Did you flip tires on the rims?
I can't imagine what Hoosiers are like.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to all the advice I can get.

Joe D
Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I did not flip them. I had just the right amount of camber dialed in that I didn't need to. A great progression is to go from PS2's to NT01's to R6's. Very easy learning curve and the grip just gets better and better. I picked up I think 3-4 seconds going from PS's to NT01's and then another 2 seconds with the R6 and then another 2 with the slicks
Old 05-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

I just corded my NT01s. That was pretty quick. I did not count the laps, but maybe should have
Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Laps? Do you mean HC's? I got just over 40 HC's and ~12 laps a session. That works out to almost 500 laps and almost 1500 miles!

In contrast to that, my R6's and Slicks get half that.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

I do not know the miles as my invoice was loaned to a friend for the tire size etc. Not sure how many heat cycles I did, but here is my guess. I have no idea as I do not count any of this stuff.

As I recall I got them maybe April 7th. Maybe 1700 miles or so

Basically It goes back and forth to the track maybe 9-10 times
My typical track is 45.3 miles away. So maybe 1000 miles street
I am at the track on average 3 hours lets say half the time in the car.
1.8 mile track time approx. 1:33 maybe 50-60 laps a day...??? Maybe that is high.
I would say 4 HC is about average maybe 40 is pretty much what I am getting

I would say that is right, about 1500 miles 40 HC. Next time I will take better care to notate miles and sessions just for my own sanity.

It is going to take a while to get NT01s as I did not notice until just today, after inspection from a Wednesday session, that I corded them. I have some R6 scrubs that I will toss on there for Sunday. Hopefully they will not get destroyed on the 100 mile round trip to the track on Sunday.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

It was the rears that I corded. The cords are showing halfway between the center and the inside on the rears. The fronts seem ok. Maybe I can get a photo going here for anyone who is interested
Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

RR

LR

RF
Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That's exactly where mine started to cord.

Solution to your problem.....get a trailer and have a backup set of wheels with tires mounted ready to go at all times! Personally, and I know I have a problem (some would say a sickness), I have 3 sets of backups. However, I only can fit 2 backup sets in trailer on the tire rack
Old 05-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

were you replacing all 4 at once, or just the rears?
Old 05-24-2008, 12:06 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

You can have problems if you try to just replace the rears, because the differential will be pretty great between the grip of new rears and old fronts. One thing to consider is what I did on my last car. I bought an extra rear wheel, and kept the rear 3 wheels/tires in rotation. That gave me 50% more life out of the rears, and then my fronts and rears lasted about the same # of heat cycles. It is a little expensive, though, and I'm not sure it was worth it, but I was running R6s, and I hated to throw away fronts with good rubber.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:48 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The fronts are subjected to the SAME number of heat cycles as the rear so there is no benefit to try and get more life out of them. The tires should be changed as a SET when they are past their usefulness.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:11 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

The heat and stresses are different between the front and rear tires ( or for that matter, right/left), which is why fronts and rears wear differently. Have you checked with a durometer to see if the fronts and rears age at the same rate/heat cycle? Heat cycles are only a coarse measurement of tire wear and aging. Fronts and rears wear at different rates...also, high heat or long sessions will wear tires more than low heat or short sessions, etc.
Although some may be able to feel subtle differences in tire wear in our street cars, I have not. When I did the 3 rear/ 2 front, I did not see differences in lap times, and didn't feel any differences in front/rear balance over the life of the tires. I do rotate side to side as wear becomes asymmetric. My tire pressures and temps are definitely different side to side on most tracks. If I did not rotate side to side, I am quite sure the outside tire would wear and age faster than the inside one. So, they "heat cycle" differently, even though they experience the same number of cycles.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:09 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Nitto vs MPSC -- any idea on the relative longevity? heat cycles and also track-days?

ALSO -- I use stock sizes 235 in front / 295 in rear for my MPSC track tires. Can I go larger on my '04
GT3 with stock Porsche wheels [8/5" - 11"]? Do I want to, in any case?

Quick Reply: Nitto NT01 --- new convert