Sponsored by:

Anyone need a 8:32 Ring and Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Say goodbye to 1st gear. While I agree it's a good mod I don't think it is the PROPER way to go. You will still have the same gaps between gears that are very long. The only way to address this properly is with new gears that are chosen specifically for your needs. WIth only the R&P you change the speed at which that gear will max out but NOT the RPM drop or where that next gear RPM is. On the track, the RPM drop these cars have is BRUTAL and does not allow you to land in the meat of the power curve......new gears will, R&P will NOT.
Dell --
glad to see you back on the board by the way... you were missed

I understand what you mean when you say "proper" with relation to the same gaps etc...

I know the "proper" way would be a full re-gear etc... but I guess I am too cheap and this is reltively easy to reverse if I do not like it... and I think the re-sale on the R&P will not be difficult.

Granted I will have a large labor bill to put it in and take it out should I elect to do that... but I am taking a risk that I will enjoy the new R&P...

But I know what you mean -- consider a lightly used R&P dipping my toe in the water... as opposed to jumping right in to the full re-gear...

Although many people have told me that they really like the R&P...

we will see...

welcome back!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the welcome!

I have no doubt that the R&P is a huge on your investment on the "fun factor" and I am sure it will be an absolute joy to drive. My comment was just geared (pun intended ) to which was the more "proper" way to get the proper ratios. The R&P is not the improper way or the bad way, just a totally different mod. Looking forward to hearing your impressions
Old 04-24-2008, 08:49 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

going in next month... will report back.

now sell me your E88s for cheap
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Old 04-24-2008, 09:08 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my impression after driving Jon's (on_pole) GT3 last weekend. He has ring and pinion, 993 Cup clutch and flywheel to go with it. I don't know whether it's because of lightweight flywheel or ring and pinions or both, man.....his car go pretty damn quick. The way it build up speed is very noticeable not only by looking at the speedo, also by the feel of your butt. He allowed me push so I did 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear acclerations, shifting at 7000rpm for each gear. Even with 2 people in it, it has very strong pulls. I got scared flooring it into 4th because we were going so freaking fast after 3rd! Also noticed his 2nd gear maxed out around low 70mph while I can hit 80mph in my stock car. I thank Jon to let me experience his pride and joy. He also happens to have BBS E88s. Those rims are HOT!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Now imagine that 4.00 final drive R&P and also add gears! OMG!!!!! Some do gears, some do R&P, and some spend their children's college fund and do both
Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

thread revival!

It has been a while but the r&p are in as of today and I got about 30 minutes in the car today before I was needed for "daddy duty".

I had my tech add the cup cables at the same time and some caragraphic rad. screens.

Okay -- cup cables with stock shifter -- huge improvement... more of a "rifle bolt" feeling... less vague... less stirring soup. The only drawback is that the cables transmit a little bit of noise... so now with LWFW and cup cables I have some cabin noise. Nothing 6000 rpms and a helmet won't fix

Initial street impressions of the r&p are great. Car actually pulls in 6th now...
First is good to 40 or so, second to just over 70 and so on...

I did some roll ons with a lightly modded 997TT prior to the install and I am eager to give it another go.

The real judge will be the track of course but my initial impressions are positive. I will be mindful of the 5th to 4th DS at the end of the straight at my home track (Pacific Raceways)...

next is custom exhaust and then I think I am done... well... can you ever really be done?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:30 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is awesome PJ, your car has gone through some nice mods in a short amount of time

hey, you mind giving me a ride in that beast one of these days? when is your next planned track day at PR?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
thread revival!

It has been a while but the r&p are in as of today and I got about 30 minutes in the car today before I was needed for "daddy duty".

I had my tech add the cup cables at the same time and some caragraphic rad. screens.

Okay -- cup cables with stock shifter -- huge improvement... more of a "rifle bolt" feeling... less vague... less stirring soup. The only drawback is that the cables transmit a little bit of noise... so now with LWFW and cup cables I have some cabin noise. Nothing 6000 rpms and a helmet won't fix

Initial street impressions of the r&p are great. Car actually pulls in 6th now...

I did some roll ons with a lightly modded 997TT prior to the install and I am eager to give it another go.

The real judge will be the track of course but my initial impressions are positive. I will be mindful of the 5th to 4th DS at the end of the straight at my home track (Pacific Raceways)...

next is custom exhaust and then I think I am done... well... can you ever really be done?
Looking forward to the results! Custom exhaust?! What were you thinking?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

thread revival!

do you know why cables alone will make shifter feel better?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:48 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
do you know why cables alone will make shifter feel better?
Well I can say that when you hold the stock cables and cup cables side by side... it is obvious that the cups are more robust and have smoother action thru the cable housings.

the end of the cables is also all metal -- all plastic has been eliminated...

I am not sure if that make any sense... but it feel more "mechanical" and less "rubbery"...

As you can tell I am not a super technical guy...
Old 07-28-2008, 12:55 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Well I can say that when you hold the stock cables and cup cables side by side... it is obvious that the cups are more robust and have smoother action thru the cable housings.

the end of the cables is also all metal -- all plastic has been eliminated...

I am not sure if that make any sense... but it feel more "mechanical" and less "rubbery"...

As you can tell I am not a super technical guy...
i know what you describe. i was trying to undertand why.

some ppl run cup cable and shifter and felt good. i also test "racefan's" 996gt3 which has a 997GT3 shfiter (no cable changes) and it felt very mechanical too (nice way, not like B&M which i find notchy). trying to figure out which i would like better.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
some ppl run cup cable and shifter and felt good. i also test "racefan's" 996gt3 which has a 997GT3 shfiter (no cable changes) and it felt very mechanical too (nice way, not like B&M which i find notchy). trying to figure out which i would like better.
Richard's mod is cheap (by P-car standards), quick & easy. And the results are good (drove it myself).

What's to think about?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:37 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Holger B
Richard's mod is cheap (by P-car standards), quick & easy. And the results are good (drove it myself).

What's to think about?
b/n the rubbery shifter and the tighter shifter in my RS, i can shift faster and more accurately in the rubbery 996(#&%%#_.

the RS shifter feels better, but i shifter faster in the 6. thus there lies the problem.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

My comment was re shifter vs cables.

Quick Reply: Anyone need a 8:32 Ring and Pinion