Sponsored by:

Vague Shifter Feel

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:57 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Vague Shifter Feel

Recently, I have noticed that when accelerating hard in 2nd gear, the engagement of 3rd feels very vague. Sort of like my old M3 did when shifting after hard accel after a sweeper (tranny shift). There is no positive engagement felt in the shifter....it feels like I am shifting into a tub of butter.

This only happens when I am giving her some stick in 2nd. During normal driving, I get the normal positive engagement and the notchy feeling.

This issue has surfaced in the past month or so....and again, only after full acceleration in 2nd. The other gears seem "normal"...only 3rd feels strange.

EDIT: Adding this from an afterthought post below:
I have also noticed a "buzzing sound" (some sort of vibration?) when shifting under full accel as well (all gears). When the clutch is engaged, I get some sort of vibrational/buzzing feedback. This sounds like it is rearward, but I also detect some slight vibes in the clutch pedal. It is definately related to hard accel and clutch pedal depression. This is also a new thing and surfaced at or about the time I noticed the vague shifter feel.

I searched a bit and didn't find much. I was going to take the car in to get looked at by the local dealer, but thought I might seek a few opinions here first. Any ideas? In my previous E36 M3's "tranny shift" made the shifter feel exactly like this....but I have never experienced this in the GT3 for the past 3 years.

I would appreciate any ideas or direct experience.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by ArcticFox; 03-26-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's happen to several people, not sure what it is but since I had my car regeard plus the install of the B&M shifter it has never happend again.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:41 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Well hopefully they will chime in. I was not able to locate threads about that when searching...maybe I am not searching for the right term(s)?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:26 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem in my RS. It's pretty bad and has caused me to misshift. I have since discovered that a quick throttle-blip going from 2nd to 3rd as I near the redline really helps the shift a lot (try it, it really works). But I want to try the 997 shifter with Cup linkage as described by DanH in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417201
Old 03-25-2008, 05:31 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm reaching here, but could be a release bearing issue? Do you ever feel the clutch drag?

My release bearing was sticking which caused me all sorts of problems including not being able to select a gear when it got hot. Had it replaced along with the clutch which had got glazed due to the drag and all is perfect. Well along with the shifter changes in the other thread. Just a bit noisy now...
Old 03-25-2008, 10:37 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Possibly a worn shift cable component.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DanH
I'm reaching here, but could be a release bearing issue? Do you ever feel the clutch drag?

My release bearing was sticking which caused me all sorts of problems including not being able to select a gear when it got hot. Had it replaced along with the clutch which had got glazed due to the drag and all is perfect. Well along with the shifter changes in the other thread. Just a bit noisy now...
Can't say I have ever felt the clutch drag. Seems ok to me.

One more thing I did notice though....It is hard to explain, but worth a shot....

I have also noticed a "buzzing sound" (some sort of vibration?) when shifting under full accel as well (all gears). When the clutch is engaged, I get some sort of vibrational/buzzing feedback. This sounds like it is rearward, but I also detect some slight vibes in the clutch pedal. It is definately related to hard accel and clutch pedal depression. This is also a new thing and surfaced at or about the time I noticed the vague shifter feel.

I was thinking that the cable may be misadjusted a bit, but would that not effect other gears as well? As somebody else noted, could be a release bearing or something else in the tranny I suppose. Just curious if others have experienced this.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:19 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Old 03-26-2008, 04:44 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Two things I can think of, still have the soft OE 996 motormounts? Possibly could cause linkage misalignment when under acceleration. And any overrev on downshift, dual mass is designed to come apart at high revs, to protect motor. These things will get out of balance when pushed too far. Know I'm reaching but both are possible.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:50 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Still have stock motor mounts, etc. I have changed nothing mechanical on the car...it is bone stock.

The motor mount sounds reasonable. My old M3 did the same thing, but the issue was the tranny mounts. The little buzzing sound is puzzling though....

No mechanical over-revs. I have hit the rev limiter a couple times, but never a mis-shift, etc. to cause a mechanical over-rev.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:21 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

If its a linkage issue its going to be tricky to diagnose. Cheap first measure would be to fit the 997 shifter mech. Will give better feel so you may then get more of an idea whats wrong.

My release bearing issue only really became clear once the box was dropped out though, and then I did clutch+bearings and the whole linkage+cables. I'm very happy now although only done one trackday and 250 road miles.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:46 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info Dan! I think I am going to take her down to a local guy who knows P-cars well and let him monkey with it for the day...and just go from there.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:20 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticFox
Thanks for the info Dan! I think I am going to take her down to a local guy who knows P-cars well and let him monkey with it for the day...and just go from there.
If you discover the cause, let us know.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
If you discover the cause, let us know.
I think I may have discovered the problem...me. lol. I went for a drive today and focused on what I was doing...well, I think the issue is me not fully depressing the clutch and/or try to shift a tad too fast. When I ensured I depressed the clutch fully and took that extra 0.1 second to shift, it felt great...just like it should. It is possible it was driver error, and that seems much more likely now!

I am still going to take it in tomorow, just to have it looked over...just for peace of mine, but I bet it comes back "just fine". Thanks for all the suggestions fellas! I will report back if I find something different. Tim

P.S. However, there is still a "buzz"/vibration sound via clutch pedal depression and higher rpms. So I will have the shop take a look at that for sure.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:19 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Does the clutch pedal travel feel odd towards the end of the movement? Thats what I was feeling when my release bearing was binding. It also forced me to slow my shifts as it wasn't working as quick as it should. Wasn't sure if it was me until I got it fixed!

Quick Reply: Vague Shifter Feel