Sponsored by:

997 Shifter & Cup linkage - results

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:25 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 Shifter & Cup linkage - results

Had these fitted and did my first trackday with them today. The shift is now brilliant. Really really good. It has much stronger self centering and the vagueness has disappeared. I can't really imagine miss-shifting with it.

However, there is a downside. The noise transmitted to the cabin down the linkage is significant. Think of the noises you hear in a cup car (see yourtube if you need an example) - well now I get a proportion of them. So the single mass flywheel noise is really pretty loud in the cabin now, I get some gearbox whine and other miscellaneous noises. I'm in two minds about it. Partly its race car like and I get off on that a bit, on the other hand its over the top for a road car.

Of course the consolation is that the shift is really 100% spot on now, and the noises I mention are speed dependent and I think it has quietened as its bedded in and at 70-90mph on the motorway its not really significant.

Anyway car is driving great now. Got the cup diff plates 45/65 lockup as well and they do make a difference although my diff wasn't completely gone when I had the work done, it now locks up much earlier and tighter.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:08 PM
MM-Racing
Racer

Dan, how do you find this lsd vs stock one on the track. The differences are significant and what disadvantages you see, i.e. wet condition? I installed it as well but Ive not had a chance to test it on the track yet. I put 8:32 too, Im looking for trackday. What are your lap times now?

ps Tonight ours F1 drivers will stand side by side
Old 03-15-2008, 06:23 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MM-Racing
Dan, how do you find this lsd vs stock one on the track. The differences are significant and what disadvantages you see, i.e. wet condition? I installed it as well but Ive not had a chance to test it on the track yet. I put 8:32 too, Im looking for trackday. What are your lap times now?

ps Tonight ours F1 drivers will stand side by side
My stock LSD was worn so I can't really compare. I could definitely feel it now that its replaced though - car feels much more stable at the rear and I was more confident putting power down out of corners. Don't have any times as generally go to different tracks in the UK and this is one I've never done before (Oulton Park). Great circuit, but not the most forgiving. It rained at the end of the day and the diff wasn't giving me any probs. Couldn't go at all quick though as grip disappeared.

I wanted the 8:32 but decided to do it too late and they couldn't get parts in time. Let me know what you think of it.

You staying up to watch the F1? I'm not!
Old 03-15-2008, 06:33 PM
MM-Racing
Racer

my lsd was worn out as well. I ii send you report of 8:32 after visiting and timing my laps, what will be at the biginning of april.

yes, I m going to watch alive.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed mine to the 997 GT3 shifter last season and not a missed shift since. The vagueness is gone, replaced with a solid feel.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:16 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Anyone tried the Cup shifter along with the cable?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:49 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RayGT3
Anyone tried the Cup shifter along with the cable?
Apparently its even closer. My shop reckoned that might be a step too far. I don't think you'd be disappointed with my setup in terms of feel and the throw is just right imho.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:54 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

When I picked up the new cable it came with everything from the shifter **** to the transmission cable bolts. So I have a cup shifter already, just undecided as to leave the reworked OE shifer in place or change the cable and shifter. I might give it a try, it's not that big a deal to change a shifter, If I feel I need to go back. Just wondering if anyone had actually done the full change and what their comments might be.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:13 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

I seem to recall that there is a guy on here with a GT2 who has it.

Surprised you bought it all as a kit, I thought the parts shipped seperately? The cables alone with all bushes etc were really rather expensive. Shifter mech is only about 200 USD.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

I bought this from one of the local cup car guys, was a spare. Guess he decided he didn't need two spares, so sold me one complete set. I thought the cup shifter cost was a bit more than OE "street shifters".
Old 03-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the cup shifter and the Cup cables but have not installed them yet
Old 03-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Default Pics

Here is a picture of my cups parts
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2008, 03:39 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Rickard 993 Turbo

Thanks for the pic. I was wondering if the standard alignment tool would work with the cup shifter. Looks like I should be OK with the tool I have. I was initially suprised at the number of differences between the standard and cup versions. That's what kinda pushed me over the edge. Looking forward to trying this out. First the snow has to melt! Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Whats the tool you are talking about, where do i buy..?
Old 03-17-2008, 04:57 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

The tool I'm refering to is an alignment tool, holds the shifter in a fixed neutral position, allowing for correct cable length adjustment when installing. From the picture, if I remember correctly, looks as though the (white) tool is in position on the top of the shifter already. So I think you already have one. It's been a few years since I've had one of these apart.

Quick Reply: 997 Shifter & Cup linkage - results