Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could buy your GT3 all over again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:32 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a car with what ever YOU want. As far as the dealer. What ever the options the car has tell them you do not care and offer what you see as a fair price. Always be willing to walk away. You also want to see the ECU print out
Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roberga
Get a car with what ever YOU want. As far as the dealer. What ever the options the car has tell them you do not care and offer what you see as a fair price. Always be willing to walk away. You also want to see the ECU print out
The thing is, i found perfect car. Track prepped with seats, harness, exhaust, roll bar, and FE. The guy said he would give me a ridiculously good deal and the only things its missing are full leather and A/C. I can live without the full leather but for my long trips A/C is a must...
Old 03-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
The thing is, i found perfect car. Track prepped with seats, harness, exhaust, roll bar, and FE. The guy said he would give me a ridiculously good deal and the only things its missing are full leather and A/C. I can live without the full leather but for my long trips A/C is a must...
Does it make sense to buy it & keep your eyes open for an A/C car, swap the parts into the A/C car and then sell the original?

Might make sense if you can get the first one cheap enough and you can be in a GT3 more quickly than waiting for the perfect one to come along.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:58 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T-hill and back without AC in the summer would be a trip to remember
Old 03-28-2008, 05:27 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I would not buy a GT3 without AC. There is vitually no penalty for having it in the car, weight or otherwise, and the advantages are overwhelming. It's a wonderful system to boot, not like the old days when AC was simply an after thought.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:40 PM
charlesml3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not buy a GT3 without AC.
Absoulutely. I think a lot of these "no A/C" cars are built so someone can say "My GT3 doesn't have that stupid A/C in it." I guess you could consider that bragging rights but I just don't see it. I had an old Honda once and the A/C quit. I thought I didn't care until the next time I drove it on a warm rainy day and couldn't go 1/2 mile without wiping the inside of the windshield.

Bottom line is I could tolerate the heat in the summer, but the lack of defog really made me take it in for a repair.

-Charles
Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

If I hadn't bought my car off the lot, I would've gotten one without A/C.

I very rarely use it, since it doesn't get hot where I live. I'm not a big fan of A/C anyhow and would rather open the windows. There have been a few trips home from triple-digit temps at T-hill where it was nice to have, but I would've survived without it too.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 PM
swbatte
Pro

Originally Posted by roberga
This is the impression I am getting. I have also learned that many options can be added later if I would like. There are 3 cars I'm looking at right now.

One is base - $73k
One has PCCB & leather - $77.5k
One has Xenon, leather & some CF - $78k (but is the furthest away)

Would you shop them based on the lowest price then and negotiate from that standpoint? Also what will the ECU print out tell me?

Thanks! - Great forum btw. I knew there would be some good collective knowledge, but you guys are very helpful.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by swbatte
This is the impression I am getting. I have also learned that many options can be added later if I would like. There are 3 cars I'm looking at right now.

One is base - $73k
One has PCCB & leather - $77.5k
One has Xenon, leather & some CF - $78k (but is the furthest away)

Would you shop them based on the lowest price then and negotiate from that standpoint? Also what will the ECU print out tell me?

Thanks! - Great forum btw. I knew there would be some good collective knowledge, but you guys are very helpful.
CF will delaminate, peel off blah blah. i plan to rip my off soon.

everything you listed about aren't deciding points other than do you want pccb/xenon or not. then pick a color.

most importantly, chk out the condition of the cars.

price are essentially the same.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

J.S.' car had no AC????

ok, tell him i'll take it off his hand for 60k. i can wire money NOW.

i had a spec miata with no ac. i drove it to button willow, did two days, drove it back (not even home) but dumped it at my mechanic's place. and sold it the next day.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by swbatte
Thanks for the tips guys. I see dealers' prices are higher in some cases and have been told by the dealer it's because of the options the car has. I know dealers will cost a little more than a private owner. There are 2 black GT3s I'm looking at now,

1. 9000 miles, lots of carbon, full leather, no Xenons etc. $79k
2. 15,000 miles no optons except Xenons $73.5k

Is the price difference mainly due to mileage irrespective of options?
Should I negotiate based on what a bare bones GT3 is going for?
Can I add the interior bits later easily?
Aren't the Cup seats added after purchase?

I'm glad I'm asking these questions now...
I have lots of CF and it "makes" the interior of the car for me. Thicker steering wheel is great also. Full leather makes it look more like an 80 grand car IMO. Of course none of that stuff makes it go better, but may increase your enjoyment. To me Xenons are a must on any modern car.

I think you're right, these options may not add a lot of $$ to the value and you can add them later, but they are expensive parts to buy. For example, the CF center console is about $1400 plus install.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
J.S.' car had no AC????

ok, tell him i'll take it off his hand for 60k. i can wire money NOW.

i had a spec miata with no ac. i drove it to button willow, did two days, drove it back (not even home) but dumped it at my mechanic's place. and sold it the next day.
Lol! I just found out that it does have A/C but he has about half a dozen people coming to look at it this weekend, priced at 75k. Doesnt look like i'll be able to get this one...
Old 04-01-2008, 03:36 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 71 Posts

My 90 M3 Sport Evo does not have A/C and it sucks in the humid summers of NY. I will not drive the car in the winter and the summer so I end up driving it a few months in the spring and fall.

Get the A/C....unless you are trailering.

Chet
Old 04-01-2008, 03:49 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
If I hadn't bought my car off the lot, I would've gotten one without A/C.

I very rarely use it, since it doesn't get hot where I live. I'm not a big fan of A/C anyhow and would rather open the windows. There have been a few trips home from triple-digit temps at T-hill where it was nice to have, but I would've survived without it too.
+1

in fact, the first 996 GT3 i owned did NOT have AC. very rare find and i still regret selling her, the buyer was absolutely thrilled that it had AC delete from factory and helped my resale go figure, maybe its a NW thing. anyway, i never missed AC and loved the opened up engine compartment.

my current GT3 DOES have AC and i've never used it.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:03 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Lol! I just found out that it does have A/C but he has about half a dozen people coming to look at it this weekend, priced at 75k. Doesnt look like i'll be able to get this one...
too bad u dont like dark cars.
i just got a buyer / seller together this weekend. money just changed hands. it was better deal than your target car. and it has AC and PCCB.

the silver one has been sold also.

keep looking, you will find YOUR car.

Quick Reply: If you could buy your GT3 all over again...