Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could buy your GT3 all over again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

swbatte, from your 1st post, it looks like you will be tracking occasionally, not heavily.

I would budget $80k for everything.

Needs: Car, GT3 seats (OEM don't keep you in the seat), bar, harnesses, fire extinguisher, alignment

Wants: 2nd set of rims, r compound tires, hot lap timer, etc.

If the car already has the GT3 seats, bar, harnesses, etc. it has probably been tracked, but you don't need to buy them separately.

If you want a garage queen with low low miles, you'll have to piece everything together and try to get under $80k with all the goodies.

If it's a track car, better to buy from a track veteran than not. I think most of us here take better care of our GT3's than what is recommended in terms of changing all the fluids, inspections, etc. In addition, a lot of the guys on this forum know a particular car and it's history (which always amazes me) and can tell you what is good or not about that particular sample.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:28 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Xenons and full leather. Extras that would be nice aftermarket is gt3 seats/ rollbar/harness. Thats the minimum I would get. Also get an alignment done. Mike
Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

- Thicker steering wheel
- Full Leather
- Recaro Race Seats in Leather
- Xenons
- no A/C
- PCCB
- Center Console in Carbon
- Seal Grey
Old 03-19-2008, 11:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
xenons - GT3 seats, roll bar and harnesses. The rest is useless. Many 2004's are equipped that way already. Buy from a club member so you know the car has not been crashed and has been well maintained.
i concur, but i would add cruise control to avoid the COPs.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Mine has:
Xenons
Thicker steering wheel (replaced by cup steering wheel)
Aluminum guages (would rather have black)
Aluma look door pulls on the doors (would rather have black)
Crests in seats (useless as seats are sitting in my garage not in car)
Floor mats
No Cruise control (would like to have it as I've been surprised cruising along at 130km/h in an 80 more than once
I added (deleted?) console delete afterwards

I think that's about it.
All I'd want is Xenons, console delete and either red or white exterior with black interior.
A n/c CF wing would be ok too
Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Jetmech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I beleive this is car he wants "hint hint" it has all of the options listed in the post, plus a LWFW, Wing/Victor wheels are extra, original will go with sale. I would consider a sale, as I need cash for my business. Euro seats, roll bar, clear bra, I have a timer and DL1 also possibly for sale. New Pads, Not installed.

Last edited by Jetmech; 03-25-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:15 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NJ-GT, I like your answer! It sounds like someone is in love with his own car!

I've heard varrious things about tracked cars. Obviously I took exceptional care of my NSX because I tracked it....It's one thing for brakes to fail at 30mph, but another for them to fail 150mph on a track!

What I'm hearing here is similar to what we said on the NSX forums....tracked cars are alright depending on the example, and I shouldn't rule them out.

I'm also wondering what makes more sense. Buying a car with cup seats now and having to purchase stock GT3 seats later if they don't work out, or buying the Cup seats later.

Once I narrow the field down, I'll post again and ask for some info on the cars I've found. Hopefully, this will be very soon!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Jetmech
Racer

I do have original seats....
Old 03-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Sit in each type of seat. The sport seats are great on the street, and not horrible for occasional track use if you are not serious. The Euro seats are great if they fit you well, though limited adjustment range, and they're a bit over priced. You can always go aftermarket if they don't fit you well or if you want adjustability/non leather seats.

Regardless of which options you go with, I'd suggest driving several examples before buying one. The differences between "identical" cars always surprise me. Even when new, two cars seldom drive anything alike.
Ahmet
Old 03-21-2008, 12:41 AM
PointBy
Instructor

I beleive this is car he wants "hint hint" it has all of the options listed in the post, plus a LWFW, Wing/Victor wheels are extra, original will go with sale. I would consider a sale, as I need cash for my business. Euro seats, roll bar, clear bra, I have a timer and DL1 also possibly for sale. New Pads, Not installed.
What? You just got that car!

(If you would consider parting them out, sell me the seats and roll bar)
Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Jetmech
Racer

Business is getting strapped for cash. hard to justify my fun, when its gonna be bumpy for a year or two.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:49 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Bucket seats are a must (unless you absolutely can't live with them). They transform the GT3 experience and, for me at least, are much more comfortable than the Sport seats. My car is a DD, occasional track car, and occasional long distance cruiser, and I love the buckets.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:50 AM
charlesml3
Instructor

Gang,

All 996's from MY03 on have Cruise Control. It's built into the computer and egas system. The only difference is whether or not you have the stalk. Retrofitting a cruise control to a 996 is pretty simple. I did it once on a MY03 Boxster S for about $176.

I've never really understood this idea of "I don't want cruise control." That stalk adds maybe 8 ounces to the car's weight. Surely less than that quarter pounder you had for lunch. If you don't want to use it then just leave the switch off.

-Charles
Old 03-21-2008, 12:12 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been a passenger in a 6GT3 with the Euro Cup seats for a 2.5 hour drive to and from a track and then again on the track. I don't remember being uncomfortable at all. I did find a problem with headroom in my NSX with its stock seats at the track with my helmet on, and that is something I must consider this time around as my driving position was compromised.

Any 6'1" guys out there with feedback?

I did notice the stock seats were heavy. My friend had me pick one up, just so I could see how surprisingly heavy they were. I'm sure the Cup seats save quite a bit of weight.

I need cruise control. 50kph over here in Ontario, the cops take your car, automatic $2000 fine, 1 week impound, automatic court case etc etc. I'll add that if the car doesn't have it for sure. Same with clear bra. Another lesson I learned on the NSX, is that it's a must even for occassional track use.

I think the Xenons are the only option that is a 'must' because it can't be added at a reasonable cost later. I know there are aftermarket HID kits out there, but have no idea how good they are.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:29 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

The bucket seats sit you lower than the standard one's. Without a sunroof you should have no problem at 6'1" even with helmet. And they save a lot of weight, probably about 80 lbs.

The only real problem with buckets is very restricted access to the rear as they don't fold. But few GT3 owners use the rear anyway.

The other question is cloth or leather. I've had both and I definitely prefer leather for daily use. If you plan on using your car as a DD, get leather. On long journeys the cloth can feel a bit claustrophobic as it's very difficult to shift your *** around as you're Velcro'd in place.

I don't get this must-have thing with Xenons. Yes, they're brighter than halogens, but I hardly noticed the difference when I went from a halogen GT3 to a Xenon RS. If you find the right car, don't let the headlights be a dealbreaker (just my opinion of course).

Quick Reply: If you could buy your GT3 all over again...