Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:12 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

[QUOTE=jrok;5114086]Get two spare tires. If you hit something nasty, it will take out both on that side. It's cheap insurance.

GREAT advice. I've had two flats on a trip. Guess who now has two spares along?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
gormanfly1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been towing my 996 GT3 in on a 16 ft. aluminum R&R open trailer. For loading I lay down a pair of 2x10" boards under the ends of the stock ramps. Then I crank up the front tongue (with tow vehicle attached) which lowers the rear and I have no issues loading.

Open trailers do have their advantages - easier to tie down your car (no crawling around inside a trailer), lighter weight, less wind resistance and hence better fuel mileage on your tow vehicle. With 20+ track days last year I only had to work in the rain once and it wasn't a big deal.

Having said all that, I would consider an enclosed trailer if I had the room to park it. The security and storage are a nice benefit.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:15 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My Trailex

Originally Posted by Greygt3
For those of you that have trailers for your cars do you have any advice for a custom build unit? I've just ordered a custom open trailer and I want to make sure I put everything on it that I need. I'm having a toolbox/tirerack done. Should I have the "D" rings placed in a specific location? I'm having the trailer axles moved back a few inches to make sure tongue weight is correct. Anything else?

Thanks,

Dean
Trailex is the best IMHO. here is my set up.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trailer

That setup looks great! I wanted a toolbox and tire rack on mine so thats the way I ordered it. I ended up buying from a company called Alum-line in Iowa. I had a long talk with them and I like their product. Prices are reasonable, similar to Trailerex. The down side is a 8-10 week build time. The trailer I was looking at was from Tailerworld which makes a beautiful unit but with everything I wanted it was going to be 10k. Thats too rich for me.

Quick Reply: Trailer advice