Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructions to install MOMO hub adaptor and new wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Dell,

Won't the combination of hub + quick release + cup steering whee,l bring the steering wheel too close to you? There is a company called NRG that does "slim" (abt 1 inch) quick releases.

Ciao,

J.
I could use the wheel a bit closer to me since for me to find the right distance from the wheel I always end up with it too far away. I am all "legs" and fairly tall so my seat is all the way back which makes the wheel a bit further than I like.

Originally Posted by CWay27
Dell, the Alu ring is only there to assure grounding. You don't need it and so is the spacer. Anyhow, the release is already a big spacer in itself.
Originally Posted by Gert
The tab on the ring is used for the female connector (ground) of the horn contact.
Thanks Y'all! So the bottom line is I can just bolt the wheel to the hub and not have to use the spacer as well as the thin ring with the tab since I won't use a horn.

Gert, do you sell the airbag resistor or is this something I should be able to locate stateside? Problem is that I just don't know what I am looking for.

THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYBODY'S HELP!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But Dell, this is like 7" extension or even more all toghether (hub + quick release + steering wheel)! But then again, I'm all torso.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I'll soon find out won't I?

I hope to have it done today and report back.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:21 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
But Dell, this is like 7" extension or even more all toghether (hub + quick release + steering wheel)! But then again, I'm all torso.
And the wheel already has a 3" dish but hey, that's the way everybody installs them. You could get a smaller quick release but not sure about the product (it's the round one with two side locking pins).
Old 01-13-2008, 11:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I looked at the Snap Off one you refer to but after consultation with my race shop engineer I went with the one I got as it is a far superior product.

If I have time later today I plan to do the install.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:36 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent weekend project!

The closer distance will likely work out well for you... and no airbag to worry about blowing up in your face!

I can't get my steering wheel close enough in my ride. Don't forget the pics when you're done!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:39 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Yours is the most secure cause it's a shaft that slips on another shaft. The cheap ones are ball bearing type or the two locking pins. Imagine if one or a few bearings get stuck in open position and your wheel start to rotate or better yet, one of the two small locking pins brakes....... Those are used for bling bling autoshow (look at the pictures on ebay, none really need one but it's for show).

With my manual rack, I wouldn't use anything but the model you got. I would probably rip the other ones apart just getting out of a parking lot.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:43 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by CWay27
Yours is the most secure cause it's a shaft that slips on another shaft. The cheap ones are ball bearing type or the two locking pins. Imagine if one or a few bearings get stuck in open position and your wheel start to rotate or better yet, one of the two small locking pins brakes....... Those are used for bling bling autoshow (look at the pictures on ebay, none really need one but it's for show).

With my manual rack, I wouldn't use anything but the model you got. I would probably rip the other ones apart just getting out of a parking lot.
I think it's fair to say that the ball bearing type are not bad at all, I mean if Prodrive manufacures and sell them they'd have to be alright.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:00 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not 7 inches. The oem wheel is pretty deep so it's more like 2 inches closer. That said the wheel is noticably closer to the driver. It takes about 5 minutes to get used to it. I really like the wheel closer to me.

The QR that Dell has is sort of like a copy of the Porsche Motorsports one. In the Cup I do not have a spacer or a horn. So Dell should shelf the spacer and the chrome grounding ring. I have shorter MOMO hub too...somewhere. However the hub Dell has is the cup one.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:44 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

If I have time later today I plan to do the install.[/QUOTE]

How about an update? I'm just about ready to do mine. I have a QR from my old Turbo Cup car. It seems like this will put the wheel awfully close. Do you have any pics, both installed as well as uninstalled? What is the overall length of the Momo adapter and QR? Thanks for any updates and pics. Kyle
Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, I have been so swamped with the baby as of late. One of the little ****s at school spread RSV around so needless to say it has been sleepless nights and I forgot the little things. Anyway, I completed the install and took some pics. I'll get them up tomorrow when I get a few minutes. I'll take some measurements as well.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

THanks... sorry to hear about the sick kids. They do a remarkable job at making you feel miserable, too.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Never wished anything bad on somebody but the parents of the kid that passed it around need a good *** whoopin! The school actually rec'd they get the kid tested for RSV when he started to develop "symptoms". The said NO and then dropped the kid off at school the next week with snot pouring out of his nose and a cough that sounded like that of a 50year chain smoker! SONSABITCHES!!!!!! Maybe my little boy would still have got the cold but it's the principle and lack of respect for the others in the class that really chapped my ****. Not to mention the lovely sleepless nights and seeing your child in pain.

Sorry for the rant
Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell

Sorry for the rant
Dont be. I think we would all agree with you.
And if any of you are the type that drop off your sick kid, then shame on you!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Never wished anything bad on somebody but the parents of the kid that passed it around need a good *** whoopin! The school actually rec'd they get the kid tested for RSV when he started to develop "symptoms". The said NO and then dropped the kid off at school the next week with snot pouring out of his nose and a cough that sounded like that of a 50year chain smoker! SONSABITCHES!!!!!! Maybe my little boy would still have got the cold but it's the principle and lack of respect for the others in the class that really chapped my ****. Not to mention the lovely sleepless nights and seeing your child in pain.

Sorry for the rant
ah damn, that sucks man. hope he gets well soon.

what's RSV? something more than the common flu i'd imagine?

Quick Reply: Instructions to install MOMO hub adaptor and new wheel?