Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would prefer a welded in cage but right now I need bolt-in. Options???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,887 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
That's not my car.
you beat me to my edit.
i figured it's DRG13's car.

now where is YOUR bling mobile

my is still in the shop getting bar in.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:45 PM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

A "Thank You!" to both of you gentlemen.

FWIW: I believe the GMG bar setup comes unfinished/unpainted as well.
FWIW2: The Porsche TQUIP "rollover" bar is different than the TQUIP "harness" bar - harness bar has the additional horizontal bar allowing for harness mounting; the "rollover" does not. Prices are $100-$300 different between the two.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:52 PM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, that's my car..I'll post another pic as soon as I get my Cup rear decklid and wing installed...a couple weeks hopefully...we'll see
Old 12-22-2007, 11:40 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DRG13
Yes, that's my car..I'll post another pic as soon as I get my Cup rear decklid and wing installed...a couple weeks hopefully...we'll see
pls do.
cup deck and wing. can't wati. i think one rennlister had it long ago, a white car.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:05 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
you beat me to my edit.
i figured it's DRG13's car.

now where is YOUR bling mobile

my is still in the shop getting bar in.
winter projects
Old 12-23-2007, 11:27 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think the DAs bar is better overall than the gmg I would rather tie into shock towers than the seat belt bolts for the rear mounting
Old 12-23-2007, 11:47 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Matt, is the DAS the one you had in your previous 3 that was up at European?
Old 12-23-2007, 01:00 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

yes .... bolts on shock tower... and front seat belt mounts...

just seams like the spread of the cage works better with das sport seams to help stiffen car up some
Old 12-23-2007, 01:49 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 930man
yes .... bolts on shock tower
GOOD

... and front seat belt mounts...
BAD
Old 12-23-2007, 04:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Bad? How so? Thanks Adrien!
Old 12-23-2007, 06:02 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I still think the DAs bar is better overall than the gmg I would rather tie into shock towers than the seat belt bolts for the rear mounting
i agree for the same reason.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:47 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
Bad? How so? Thanks Adrien!
The seat belt mount points are on the side of the car. The wall there is single skin: ie, it's not very strong if taking heavy loads, less so in a roll. The cage mounted there will hold in a roll, but overall it simply isn't that strong... although it's clearly proven itself more than strong enough for a seat belt and the more typical loads exerted. Torsional loads on a side mounted single skin panel can result in very small twist/flex through the cage/mount.

A cage that is mounted to the floor: the floor is double skinned to begin with and will be much stronger against vertical loads if the car rolls. And then (I only know of the CS/RS cage for reference here) the cage bolts to a welded plate on top of the double skin. The welded plate effectively acts as a much stronger (thicker) 3rd skin. Torsional loads through the cage onto the welded floor mounted plate has no movement unless the welds break.

Since I had a regular Teq rollcage before (the one mounting to rear seat belt points), I didn't think much about these small differences until my bodyshop showed me the stripped body, where the cages attach, and what the pros/cons were of each cage. In theory it made clear sense, and then I drove my car after the cage change and I was convinced. Now I classify the Teq cage as more of an aesthetic mod that a real performance mod.

Porsche probably realised the performance difference between the cages otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the extent/hassle of developing the floor mounting plates that required additional labour to weld and mount into position.

The DAS cage looks like it has a strong rear section acting as a rear strut brace, but it really needs to mount to the floor to provide the maximum benefit of a roll cage imho.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:49 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

DRG13, a bit OT, but how is your Traqmate mounted?
Old 12-23-2007, 08:54 PM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Module and Display unit are simply velcro'ed and the little black receiver is magnetized and sticks perfectly to my rollbar (as seen in picture)...I did this so I could easily remove it in 30 seconds and put it in other cars or quick remove for the street...for power I use cigarette lighter adapter...Obviously there are much slicker install guides, ways to hide it and direct link power to it..
Old 12-24-2007, 01:18 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoom
The seat belt mount points are on the side of the car. The wall there is single skin: ie, it's not very strong if taking heavy loads, less so in a roll. The cage mounted there will hold in a roll, but overall it simply isn't that strong... although it's clearly proven itself more than strong enough for a seat belt and the more typical loads exerted. Torsional loads on a side mounted single skin panel can result in very small twist/flex through the cage/mount.

A cage that is mounted to the floor: the floor is double skinned to begin with and will be much stronger against vertical loads if the car rolls. And then (I only know of the CS/RS cage for reference here) the cage bolts to a welded plate on top of the double skin. The welded plate effectively acts as a much stronger (thicker) 3rd skin. Torsional loads through the cage onto the welded floor mounted plate has no movement unless the welds break.

Since I had a regular Teq rollcage before (the one mounting to rear seat belt points), I didn't think much about these small differences until my bodyshop showed me the stripped body, where the cages attach, and what the pros/cons were of each cage. In theory it made clear sense, and then I drove my car after the cage change and I was convinced. Now I classify the Teq cage as more of an aesthetic mod that a real performance mod.

Porsche probably realised the performance difference between the cages otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the extent/hassle of developing the floor mounting plates that required additional labour to weld and mount into position.

The DAS cage looks like it has a strong rear section acting as a rear strut brace, but it really needs to mount to the floor to provide the maximum benefit of a roll cage imho.
The Das Bar does bolt to the front seat belt anchor hole, but it does so with another steel plate that rests on the floor and then bends up to mount to the side. It is not flimsy either. The plate actually acts as a third skin on the floor and as a second skin on the side. In the event of a rollover, I think the load would actually be distributed to the floor primarily but also to the side. In my opinion it is the best Bar out there. If you look at it closer you will understand what I am saying.

And they make a front section kit for it as well, but it is not bolt in. That being said, I think a good welder could make it into a "bolt in cage" by welding some plates to it at the front and making a larger "sleeve" that would connect it to the rear bar. If I was putting in a full cage and trying to keep the interior in tact, I would absolutely go with a Das!!! It is much stronger than any other bolt in system I have seen.
Dell, if you want a further explanation about making the Das Cage a "bolt in", PM me and we can exchange phone numbers to discuss.

Quick Reply: Would prefer a welded in cage but right now I need bolt-in. Options???