Sponsored by:

Rotating the struts 60-degrees

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Rotating the struts 60-degrees

Since so many people contacted me regarding how I rotated the front struts, I figured I'd post the info here instead of e-mailing everybody. This way hopefully more people find it if they ever need to know how it's done.

The idea is to "drop" down the mcphersons from the strut towers, take out the bolts on the top of the mcpherson and re-install them in the other available holes. There are two bolt patterns on the top plate and they are 60 degrees apart. Just insert the bolts on the other bolt pattern, remount the mcpherson (now 60degrees rotated to get the bolts to line up with the hole pattern on the strut tower) and tighten the nuts on the top.

I attached a good picture showing the mcphersons with the bolts and the additional holes on the top.

The idea with rotating the struts is that you get your camber down to -2.5. But be warned though, that will be the minimum after rotating so if you mostly use your car on the street, I wouldn't recommend doing this. But if you track it often you should definately do it!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Juha G; 10-23-2007 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to drop anything

Just knock out the studs and rotate the top and install them again
Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 AM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks very much!
Does this affect the range of ride height?
Mark
Old 10-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
No need to drop anything

Just knock out the studs and rotate the top and install them again
Thanks for clearing that up Rickard!

Originally Posted by redcar1
Thanks very much!
Does this affect the range of ride height?
Mark
I believe it does but very slightly. The good thing about the GT3 is that you have coilovers so you can adjust the height.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:51 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahh. Thanks Juha!

-Blake
Old 03-29-2017, 12:59 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the diagram posted show the factory position of the shock mounts?
To increase camber, are the mounts rotated 60 degrees towards the center of the car? Does anyone have photos of the shock mounts in the rotated position? Thank you.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:23 PM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great pics here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...eg-camber.html
Is there a typo on post #9? Aren't the curved sides at the top of the pic supposed to be on the inside of the car for the rotated position? This in turn pulls the top of the strut closer to that one mounting bolt and gives more negative camber. Do I have that correct?
Old 04-01-2017, 12:33 AM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

See figure below
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Since so many people contacted me regarding how I rotated the front struts, I figured I'd post the info here instead of e-mailing everybody. This way hopefully more people find it if they ever need to know how it's done.

The idea is to "drop" down the mcphersons from the strut towers, take out the bolts on the top of the mcpherson and re-install them in the other available holes. There are two bolt patterns on the top plate and they are 60 degrees apart. Just insert the bolts on the other bolt pattern, remount the mcpherson (now 60degrees rotated to get the bolts to line up with the hole pattern on the strut tower) and tighten the nuts on the top.

I attached a good picture showing the mcphersons with the bolts and the additional holes on the top.

The idea with rotating the struts is that you get your camber down to -2.5. But be warned though, that will be the minimum after rotating so if you mostly use your car on the street, I wouldn't recommend doing this. But if you track it often you should definately do it!
What about the rear camber? In the "Kassmaul" alignment specs, the recommended front camber setting is -2.5, the rear camber is - 2.3. So is the rear camber adjustable to - 2.3 without requiring any extraordinary measures? Also note my RSS roll cage is connected to the rear shock towers, will this present a problem setting the rear camber? I would think not, but what do I know....I am here begging for advice
Old 04-10-2018, 02:35 PM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The rear spherical bearing in the top mount is centered to the mounting bolt pattern (only one pattern). It is also not a strut.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:19 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

You will get -2.3 pretty easily in the rear even at stock height. If slightly lowered you will get to -2.8 yo -3.0 before you need to go to 2 piece control arms in the rear. None of the rear adjustment is done at the top.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:30 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Good news...

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
You will get -2.3 pretty easily in the rear even at stock height. If slightly lowered you will get to -2.8 yo -3.0 before you need to go to 2 piece control arms in the rear. None of the rear adjustment is done at the top.
My original question has been answered....What about the rear camber? In the "Kassmaul" alignment specs, the recommended front camber setting is -2.5, the rear camber is - 2.3. So is the rear camber adjustable to - 2.3 without requiring any extraordinary measures? Also note my RSS roll cage is connected to the rear shock towers, will this present a problem setting the rear camber? I would think not, but what do I know....I am here begging for advice

Quick Reply: Rotating the struts 60-degrees