Sponsored by:

Rotating Strut Mounts for Neg Camber

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:32 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rotating Strut Mounts for Neg Camber

I have read about rotating strut mounts to gain negative camber, so how it this done exactly?

Can the car just be jacked up and then loosen the 3 top nuts and rotate? If so then do you rotate 120 deg? and it which direction? CW or CCW?

thanks,
dr
Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 PM
maci911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it had been done before by one member long time ago......i think u cant just rotate from top u have to dissasemble the whole strut assembly out.....
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by machina
I have read about rotating strut mounts to gain negative camber, so how it this done exactly?

Can the car just be jacked up and then loosen the 3 top nuts and rotate? If so then do you rotate 120 deg? and it which direction? CW or CCW?

thanks,
dr
You have to have the GT3 monoballs to do this. They have 2 sets of holes for the studs. You move the studs to the second position (rotating the mount in the process) and re-install.

Can't do it with the stock mounts.

I've got an extra GT3 monoball if you want to get one cheap. The other will cost you around $150 from suncoast.

Andy
Old 04-02-2009, 01:17 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, you can't physically rotate the stock upper mounts, as it not only changes camber, it changes caster as well, becuase the center hole is not equidistant between just any 2 studs, just the correct outer 2. I don't know how much you gain or even if the resulting caster change makes the car undriveable. The 3 studs are not equilaterally distant, so you would aslo have to elongate the slots in the strut tower.

Last edited by perryinva; 04-17-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:18 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by machina

thanks,
dr
Another option is to get the GT3 lower control arms. The install pretty easily and will get you negative camber as well as a little wider track. They cost a bit more than the camber plates though with all the pieces you need.

The tarret set is $675. You can get the OEM stuff a bit cheaper from Suncoast.

-td
Old 04-02-2009, 02:03 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by perryinva
Actually, you can physically rotate the stock upper mounts, but it not only changes camber, it changes caster as well, becuase the center hole is on equidistant between just any 2 studs, just the correct outer 2. I don't know how much you gain or even if the resulting caster change makes the car undriveable. It is very comon to do this on E36 BMWs, specifically to get more negative camber and more caster, to reduce tramlining. You don't have to disassemble at all, just remove top 3 nuts, (with suspension unweighted, of course) but depending on what you have you would need a spring compressor to allow pushing the strut assembly down far enough to rotate. Of course, a complete re-alignment is required. With PSS9, or any adjustable height type, you just have to lower the sprngs out of the way, then back up when you're done.
To do it on the M3's with the stock strut hats you have to move them from one side of the car to the other and it didn't effect caster badly at all. So the left hat would have to be installed on the right strut. I did this on my E36 and then on my E46 until I eventually got camber plates for that car.

http://e46m3performance.com/installs...-top/index.htm

I always wondered if you could do the same with the factory 996 mounts but didn't want to bother with messing with something that nobody else had done. It's pretty common place in the BMW community as it was proven to work.

Andy
Old 04-02-2009, 05:15 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Yes, you're correct, that is what I was referring to, also similar for Z3s, I had forgotten that you swap L&R, not rotate. AFA the 996 is concerned, same thing..it physically fits, but unless I had unlimited free time on an alignment machine I wouldn't waste the $$ screwing with it...let someone ELSE waste the $$ screwing with it...LOL. As long as I can get -0.5 camber front, then I'll be fine as I'm not a track junkie.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:10 PM
92tsiawd
Advanced

Looking at Andi's picture, is the hole that is coloured red and alternating hole the initial position? Then you turn the mount to fit the studs into the hole beside the red one? Anyone got a DIY for this?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Horrible picture...but you get the point.

Blue triangle is stock mounting location. Red is "rotated" for an additional ~-1.0 degree
Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember slotting the shock tower mounts on my E36 M3. Same thing can be done to the 996 that has a stock suspension limited to 1.0 to 1.5 degrees of negative camber. We are talking about notching maybe a 1/4 inch more towards the inboard position.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul 996
I remember slotting the shock tower mounts on my E36 M3. Same thing can be done to the 996 that has a stock suspension limited to 1.0 to 1.5 degrees of negative camber. We are talking about notching maybe a 1/4 inch more towards the inboard position.
I did this (slotted the towers) on mine (shop did it technically) and it added about -0.5 degrees. With the car lowered about 30mm from stock US height, I can get a little over -1.5 degrees, maybe -1.6. Car is much more neutral on track and "spirited" mountain driving. I would have opted for camber plates, but I also know it may add some harshness on the street. If I did it over, might just do the plates.... but the slots are a good, cheap, and effective alternative.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

If you need more than 1.5 degrees negative then chances are you updated the suspension...stiffer springs WILL make the upper strut mount fail, I replaced several with my PSS9 before realizing that it's just going to happen. The solution is a monoball upper strut mount that allows you to increase the negative camber. GT3 lower control arms aren't necessary...and they don't fix the part that is going to fail anyway.

If you haven't updated the suspension then just slot it out slightly if necessary to get -1 degree.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:31 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Wow, first I've heard of failing FSMs from PSS9s! Had you looked at the X74 strut mounts? I'd assume (never a good thing) that they would be designed for the X74 stiffer springs. I have a set here, but haven't compared them to stock ones, yet.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I just went monoball and it solved the problem. I was running bigger than normal tires too 265/315's MPSC, so I'm sure that was a factor. Most guys I see running PSS9s are driving on the street a lot and runing 225 fronts I have a friend who had the same issue running 245 front Hoosiers.

The other thing is most people are slow...It's an annoying fact of the Internet -- the guys 10 seconds off pace love to give advice on why something is "fine". Or say things like "I get 50 track days out of Hoosiers". Yeah well, you're slow.

Quick Reply: Rotating Strut Mounts for Neg Camber