Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got back from the track! I LOVE THIS CAR!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts
Talking Just got back from the track! I LOVE THIS CAR!!!

I Spent the entire day today at Moroso at a HPD event held by Braman Motorcars.
This was my first time out on the track with the kussmaull settings and man it made a huge difference!
Unfortunately my rear tires were wasted already before I got on the track so I was pretty much sliding around the entire day. It was raining in the morning and when the track finally dried up, my tires were gone. Yet I had so much fun and learned so many new things! I also had a great instructor who was very familiar with GT3's as he owns one him self and races a CUP car!

The biggest smile on my face comes from the feeling that I think I'm finally getting the hang of this car! She needs firm and clear instructions and she will do anything you want as long as you're smooth! Jerk the wheel or stomp the gas/brakes and she will bite you back, but do it smoothly and she will reward you with excellent behaviour, feedback and performance!

By the end of the day my rears were so bad that I was literally powersliding trough the turns, and as much as I know that this really slowed me down and should be avoided as far as possible, It felt great to be able to control the car.
I would come in too hot and get the tail to rotate too much and start sliding and I would just ease on the brake, unwind a bit and play with the traction to keep the car on the line.
It was difficult to get on the gas with very little traction due to the bad tires but once I felt the tail come out, I just smoothly corrected and got the rears to hook up.
I think at times I was powersliding trough the entire turn#3. Fun, allthough not what I wanted or intended to do!

Can't wait to get some new rubber on the BBS and hit the road course again!!

Now the question is, should I get yet another set of PS2's or upgrade to R-comps? Or is it too early for R-comps and should I just stick with PS2's for couple of more DE's...?

regards,

Juha

Last edited by Juha G; 10-21-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:27 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Juha awesome man, glad you are loving your Porsche experience BTW some people say PS2's are too soft coming from an R compound, for high performance street tires they are amazing, they will allow you to have some more fun with them since the adhesion limit wont be as great, I saw on those BBS's run some TOYO RA1's or the new Michelin Cup's!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I personally wouldn't run a GT3 with street tires on the track, but if you're still new at the track game it might be a good idea to stick with the street tires for a couple of more events.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very Cool Juha! Glad you're liking it!!!

Scott
Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There we go, now we're talking!

Driving on track with used up tyres (should be all fours) is always good practice. Speed is slower and you learn a lot of car control that way. Being 100 clean and under the limit will teach you little but this way you'll learn plenty.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:29 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very similar to my last track day -- #4 for me... worn out PS2s and sliding everywhere...

Your car looks great!

I just got a set of Fikses for track use (used) with MPSC.

I am now at the point where seats/harnesses/roll bar are no longer optional -- so I am going to get this going during the winter and get the alignment sqaured away for next season.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered PZero Corsa System - very effective, many drivers prefer them to the PS2. WR keeps a set for fun, and thats a good endorsement.

R+C
Old 10-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys!!

When I bought this car I was contemplating whether I should get a 997S or the 996GT3. (the 7GT3 is way over my budget).

After having the car for 7 months now and putting 6k miles on her with ~10 DE's, I am SO glad I bought this car over the 997S!!
By this time, I'd be already swapping suspension parts, brakes etc. what not on the 997 to get it more to my taste. But the GT3 is perfect as it stands. It needs absolutely nothing!!
Of course I've put in the club sport seats and will put in a rollbar + harnesses but that's all optional. The car performs without them as well!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Jager
Advanced

996 GT3 is the best of the Porsches. When I drove mine that first time (I had a 993 at the time) I said to myself all Porsches should be like this. The power, the grip, the reactions, the urgency of the thing. It's elemental. Throw in a Kussmaul alignment, lower it, put R comps on it, and it becomes an absolute marvel. I could rave on, but you know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Have you considered PZero Corsa System - very effective, many drivers prefer them to the PS2. WR keeps a set for fun, and thats a good endorsement.

R+C
I've got Corsa Systems...and they suck unless it's raining.

Get a second set of rims with MPSC's for the track.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holger B
I've got Corsa Systems...and they suck unless it's raining.

Get a second set of rims with MPSC's for the track.
I have two sets already, BBS racing wheels for the track and something completely different for the street...

Old 10-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Two hoods too?
Old 10-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holger B
Two hoods too?
Nope, just a photoshop by a friend!
Don't worry, this car will not be rice'd out!
The wheels are the actual wheels though, I should get them sometime next week.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Modoc
Instructor

What size MPSC's are you guys running? I've got a set of Forgelines coming in 9" and 11" and am hoping to run 315's but unsure about fr sizes.

JoeD
Old 10-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Jetmech
Racer

Guys,

Hoosiers, R6 Compound!. Ive done MSPC, Toyo's, Falken, and perfer the Hoosiers.....gripper, predictable.

Quick Reply: Just got back from the track! I LOVE THIS CAR!!!