Sponsored by:

Opinions on my 2004 GT3 value

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:43 PM
JScott
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a 2004 GT3 is worth $10,000.

I'll give you $12,000.. it's a good deal... take it!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:47 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JScott
I think a 2004 GT3 is worth $10,000.

I'll give you $12,000.. it's a good deal... take it!
Even though it's only worth 10 grand, there are a few idiots who will outbid you.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:51 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Rad: If you're forced to switch brands then I'm interested in some of your parts. Drop me a line if that (horrible) day comes.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Jetmech
Racer

I just ended my search for a GT3. This would have been perfect, but let me share you my findings out there. several cars have certified warranties till 2010 and I had them down to $68k and $70K respectfully. Your warranty wont matter much, because its becomming winter time, and by the time I get back on the track, it will be over. I live in the midwest. We start tracking around Mid to late April.

your mods are right up my alley, but I would not pay top dollar, no warranty from Porsche on these items. I have a 993 I almost sold, but then realized, the GT3's in front of me on the track were not leaving me terribly behind for a $50K increase in a better car than mine. I decided to regear my tranny and try to get closer to you guys in my 993.

though cars are going for mid $70's, try to find out what dealers are actually getting. My local dealer sold a black on black with only 4k miles. $75k and CPO's till 2010.

Just trying to lend you some feedback from a person that was just looking. but then again, I am sure that if someone didn't think this though as I did, and I was on then fence for weeks. i couldn't put it way, I wanted a GT3. I finally realized, that the expense for a car based on risk on the track, was not for me.

now if I win the lottery....lets talk. I want to track a GT3 with your modifications, just could not justify it. but Im all ears....very big ears.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:30 PM
zed996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
May 2004 Porsche 911 GT3, 35,000 miles, under warranty until May 2008 or 50,000 miles. ............I would like to get feedback on what I should get for this car ......
I think it would be a mistake to sell this car. It seems that you have invested a ton of $$ in the car and hopefully it has served you well. One of the quirks of the mod game is that you never get what you put in. Consider keeping the car and chasing down 997 GT3's at the track. If I were a track guy that's what I'd do and I think it would be far more satisfying. Sure the relatively high mileage might be a little negative but at some point we'll all be out of warranty and most parts subject to wear and tear can be replaced/rebuilt which would make it like new....track-wise.

Your car is a rare animal and has been well maintained. You have all that seat time in the car, which should make you much better than average. Many 996 GT3's have already been scrapped due to accidents. It has features that are desirable to a discerning group (no sunroof, that rawness, etc) . It has had much success on the pro circuit. It is destined for a special place in history. Keep it! Just my .02

Zed
Old 10-05-2007, 05:51 PM
GT3 convert
Track Day

Rad, still never met you but also an autoxer. How easy would it be to put this car back in stock form to run in SS? I would obviously want all the wheels and tires but the aftermarket bits could be sold off, might make the price work. Just a thought, post back!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 convert
Rad, still never met you but also an autoxer. How easy would it be to put this car back in stock form to run in SS? I would obviously want all the wheels and tires but the aftermarket bits could be sold off, might make the price work. Just a thought, post back!
Works for me....I'll take all the suspension bits that are ASP legal.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Jetmech
Racer

thanks......
Old 10-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetmech
several cars have certified warranties till 2010 and I had them down to $68k and $70K respectfully. Your warranty wont matter much, because its becomming winter time, and by the time I get back on the track, it will be over. I live in the midwest. We start tracking around Mid to late April.
I understand the peace of mind that comes with an extended warranty, but I don't know how much real value it adds for those who plan to track the car. Some dealers will automatically void the warranties for tracked cars and PCNA will never cover a major repair on a tracked car IMO. Also, GT3's get tracked much more as a group than average P-cars and it seems to me that reports of significant failures are very unusual. Therefore, I'm not sure what the actual value of the extended warranty is for a lot of us given that they can be easily voided and the actual need for one may not be that great (keeping my fingers crossed on that one...).
Old 10-08-2007, 02:19 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Originally Posted by zed996tt
I think it would be a mistake to sell this car. It seems that you have invested a ton of $$ in the car and hopefully it has served you well. One of the quirks of the mod game is that you never get what you put in. Consider keeping the car and chasing down 997 GT3's at the track. If I were a track guy that's what I'd do and I think it would be far more satisfying. Sure the relatively high mileage might be a little negative but at some point we'll all be out of warranty and most parts subject to wear and tear can be replaced/rebuilt which would make it like new....track-wise.

Your car is a rare animal and has been well maintained. You have all that seat time in the car, which should make you much better than average. Many 996 GT3's have already been scrapped due to accidents. It has features that are desirable to a discerning group (no sunroof, that rawness, etc) . It has had much success on the pro circuit. It is destined for a special place in history. Keep it! Just my .02

Zed

I think you are spot on. The differential in performance is in wide disparity to the differential in price to upgrade. The lions share of deprecation on this car has already been taken. Beyond that how much faster really is the 997GT3 & RS to the 996 GT3? Unless you want the electronics I say keep it. Your car sounds well sorted and I believe the 996 GT3 variants have a unique pedigree.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

NJ-GT: The 7RS roll bar is not PCA club racing legal. And the ring & pinion change throws your car into GTA. You have a great car, but be sure when you sell your car that the buyer knows it will not go straight into 'B' with just a roll cage.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorris3
NJ-GT: The 7RS roll bar is not PCA club racing legal. And the ring & pinion change throws your car into GTA. You have a great car, but be sure when you sell your car that the buyer knows it will not go straight into 'B' with just a roll cage.
One word, err acronym, NASA.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Partially correct.

I got a quote to get the stock R&P installed, so the car can run ASP in SCCA Solo and PCA B Class.

With the short R&P, it moves to A class and not GTA. It requires a full cage in A class.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
One word, err acronym, NASA.
NASA requires a full cage.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Partially correct.

I got a quote to get the stock R&P installed, so the car can run ASP in SCCA Solo and PCA B Class.

With the short R&P, it moves to A class and not GTA. It requires a full cage in A class.
Gotcha on 'A', I should've known that. It looks like PCA is going to require full cages next year in the upper level stock classes, if not all of them.

Quick Reply: Opinions on my 2004 GT3 value