Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007 | 06:24 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Default Windshield replacement.

Last weekend at VIR (south course) I got 6+ rock chips in my windshield. The worst one had a crack that was close to 5 inches. Today I washed the car and when I shot the windshield with water the crack grew the entire distance of the window. Where should I get the windshield replaced? Dealer, or one of those windshield fellas? Any other ideas? I'm sure this is going to be pretty expensive..?
Old 09-29-2007 | 06:27 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Last weekend at VIR (south course) I got 6+ rock chips in my windshield. The worst one had a crack that was close to 5 inches. Today I washed the car and when I shot the windshield with water the crack grew the entire distance of the window. Where should I get the windshield replaced? Dealer, or one of those windshield fellas? Any other ideas? I'm sure this is going to be pretty expensive..?
Rob - had same problem at VIR. Asked dealer how much a windshield (part cost) was...$600 plus install. They just referred me to one of those "windshield fellas" as they don't do it themselves.
Old 09-29-2007 | 07:28 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rmag
Rob - had same problem at VIR. Asked dealer how much a windshield (part cost) was...$600 plus install. They just referred me to one of those "windshield fellas" as they don't do it themselves.
Ryan, I just tried calling you. Was that HBL? I wonder what a windshield costs at sunset or brandywine? I remember seeing windshields advertised in pano or excellence. Anyone have any experience with sourcing a windshield on the "cheap"?
Old 09-29-2007 | 07:48 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Rob-
I can't remember is your car street legal? If so you might have glass replacement coverage on your policy. Call your agent on Monday and see. If so, he may require you to go somewhere specific.

If it's on your nickel I'd call one of the local glass shops in your area.
The Porsche windshield is nothing special...Then consider getting some mylar race tearoffs. Maury Hammil who was there with us had a two layer put on his car and he's tracked the car for 2 years tearing off one layer each year. Synergy can probably do it for you.
Old 09-29-2007 | 07:57 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Eddie, my insurance policy deductible is set at $1000.00. So it's going to be out of my pocket unless I do something shady (not likely). Thanks for your advice.
Old 09-29-2007 | 09:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Rob, I'm in the same boat as you. If you can beleive this, both my GT3 and my tow vehichle got cracks! I have 2 windshield replacements coming up this week. I'll be calling on Monday for a quote(s).

FYI.....first stop after the windshield is on is tear-offs at Synergy the day before fall fling.
Old 09-29-2007 | 10:19 PM
Holger B
Race Car

How do the tear-offs prevent the windshield from cracking if it gets hit by something solid?

I could see how they'd be helpful just by looking at my pitted windshield though...
Old 09-29-2007 | 10:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

They go through some special slow casting process.....oh crap, wait a sec. Wrong thread

Just playing with ya H. Honestly I didn't think to ask. But I have talked to several guys that have the tearoffs installed and never had a problem with rocks. Maybe the material is something special???
Old 09-30-2007 | 12:34 AM
bigsky
Instructor

I replaced the windshield on my '02 Turbo (should be in the same price range as GT3) and had an original equipment Porsche sourced windshield installed by local glass shop. Total bill was $750. Some shops wanted over $1000 for the same thing. Hope you can find a less expensive (non Porsche) windshield as it is probably the same
Old 09-30-2007 | 12:56 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Good to know. Thanks guys.
Old 09-30-2007 | 01:14 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Also, don't forget about some dealer giving some discounts for PCA members. You can probably save some $$$ that way too.
Old 09-30-2007 | 03:32 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob,

Since you track, the windshield falls into the long list of 'consumables'.

I'm on my 3rd windshield.

Going with a mobile installation outfit can be hit or miss. One thing is for sure, you should source the OEM Porsche glass.

IIRC, I paid about $600 for the glass and labor at the local dealer was about $125-$150. Each time I've been OTD for under $750.

Take note, if you go through your insurance they will often try to source 'CQ' glass (comparable quality)... tell them you want the Porsche glass, but you may have to pay the difference in the cost of the glass which is about $100.

CRACK!
Old 09-30-2007 | 11:14 PM
CT03911
Banned

Default My 2cents

At the Porsche factory last spring they went into some detail on windshields. After the bodies come up to the production line the ONLY robot that does anything to a 911 is the windshield robot. They explained that the tolerances are super critical, 1mm I believe. The windshield is considered part of the structural integrity of the frame once installed. The glues are special as well.

I only mention this because if/when I need a new one, knowing what I know now from the factory, I will be very critical of where I get one and who does it. Just mentioning for what it's worth.

By the way, started using CDOC tear-offs last week. Not the easiest install in my opinion (bubbles on the edges keep forming). Could be their brand, could be my technique, both, whatever. At the end of the day I do feel they are important to use and will improve my technique and/or try a different brand but because of what the factory told me I am making an effort to prolong the life of my windshield now. Best of luck to you guys replacing. Hope it goes well.
Old 10-01-2007 | 05:16 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

I called some shops and Sunset Porsche was the cheapest of 'em all. They wanted $378.34 + shipping (around $110).

Someone PM'd me the following link. They sell windshields with blemishes, but not for too much cheaper. It's a no brainer to go with Sunset, unless I can get local and not pay shipping...

http://www.glennyeemotorsports.com/gt1_996ws.html
Old 10-01-2007 | 07:38 PM
jrok
Racer

An additional note to what smlporsche said, in some states (like Kentucky) all glass is covered because it is considered a safety issue, it might be worth a call. I had mine installed at the dealership and it was covered.

Last edited by jrok; 10-01-2007 at 07:39 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement.