Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-Sub Strap Mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:26 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah Curt, no flames intended...just very passionate about track safety (yours and mine too)...there are larger seats (like the EVO2+) and lower seat mounts to fit someone of your size more comfortably...give CDOC a call they probably have a seat/mount/sub combo that will work for you...they also carry a selection of roll bars...good luck
Old 09-19-2007, 10:53 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Also Curt if your going aftermarket seat does harness truss allow enough seat clearance ie sliding seat back? If u plan on a cage the techquip bar doesn't work for u. DASport bar does but I'm not even sure for your length unless your legs are just 2 feet long : ) but DASPORT will give maybe 3-4 inches more rearward compared to techbar. Hope that helps ya. Mike
Old 09-19-2007, 11:47 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Another reason a roll bar should be used in conjunction with 5 or 6 point belts is that such belts are designed to keep you upright in your RACE seat whereas factory installed three point belts are designed to collapse with the standard factory installed seat in the event of the collapsed roof.

It certainly becomes a chain reaction slippery slope when either seats, aftermarket belts or a roll bar is installed. If one installs 5 or 6 point belts, you then need rollover protecion, then race seats to properly route the shoulder and anti-sub straps.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:21 AM
911Eddy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's beggining to look like drivers after a harness option, but not wanting to lose the 'other use' of the car i.e daily driving and 2 rear seats...smply haven't got a chance of achieving this!

I had started to think the easily removable BK harness bar with guides, sports seats and 4 point harness with clips seemed like a plan - but the above casts some serious doubts over this.

Are there any options left with ASM (will I get flamed for adding "incorporating a reclining seat?)
Old 11-04-2007, 10:22 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cbennettus
The flames are unwarranted including the Mooty's igniting flame suggesting I had a death wish.

A few of us big guys - I'm 6'6" and 300 lbs - are so long in the seat that the substrap mounts are akin to wearing a wrap around thong. The GT3 Euro seat (fixed back) simply isn't made for guys our size.

Anyway, appreciate all the opinions.

-Curt
Curt, people are concerned about your safety.

You're heading down the same slippery all or nothing GT3 slope.

I assume you want to get the harnesses into the GT3 to hold you in the seat and improve safety.

You need to dump the stock seats and find a race bucket that fits you well with proper shoulder strap and anti-sub strap holes. One thing to keep in mind is that it's nice to have the seat sliders... it helps getting into and out of the car especially in tight spaces like a trailer with no side door.

If you do a race bucket, you'll need rollover protection. A simple tequipment bar or a full custom cage? Now you're starting to get into the "is it safe to street it anymore?" arena.

Do race buckets and a bar and you lose access to the rear 'seat' area... which is useless anyway!

Do the whole enchilada. I'm sure you can find someone in the Lone Star Region with a race bucket that will fit you.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2007, 07:41 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbennettus
Dell,
I have the stock seats. I also have 5 point belts, hence the need for a sub-strap mount.

Joe,
Thanks for the information. It's an interesting concern.

-Curt
you can do 6 points and the stock seats. they are just routed formula car style (routed though the back instead of a sub mount hole). supposedly does a better job at retaining the hips.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:09 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to a local rep shop in the area. Safety is trhe least place to cut corners. Real seat, roll over protection, Head and neck protection. If you go with the Euro seats they can be switched in 30 minutes.

The stock seat has a lot of padding that will compress under a shock load. Even at 7/10s something can happen. The car ahead of you can lose a motor put oil on the surface and off you go. THe seat is also a performance upgrade in that it holds you still in the corners.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karlooz
you can do 6 points and the stock seats. they are just routed formula car style (routed though the back instead of a sub mount hole). supposedly does a better job at retaining the hips.
Question here, say your running something like the Sparco Torino which is a reclining street seat but with shoulder belt holes. If you mount the ASM somewhere behind the seat (properly) and route the straps through the "pivot point" as it were between the seat back and the bottom would this meet the new PCA DE requirements for running 6 points?

IPSC
Old 12-06-2007, 08:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
Sorry Carlos, but that is just about the most unsafe thing to do with a anti-sub belt.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

What you propose is crazy.

Here's what to do.

GT3 seats don't fit me either. I'm 6'5" in the 260 range.
I had a pair of OMP Big seats installed along with a DAS Sport bar w/Schorth ProfiII harnesses. Driver's bolted directly to the floor as far back and as low as it would go. Passenger seat is on a Sparco slider. Seat brackets bolted to an aluminum plate which is then bolted to the floor.

The seats barely fit but they do fit.
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2007, 09:48 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

911Eddy: Check with the organizers of your events. In Seattle they PCA will not let you on the track with 4 point. They also 5/6 point must be used with a proper seat with guide holes in the back and seat for the sub. Also, the harness bar helps only it your tires stay on the ground. If you roll, the bar with harness will keep you upright and nothing to keep the roof away.

ChrisM. The car looks great! Is your bar painted or powder coat?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
ChrisM. The car looks great! Is your bar painted or powder coat?
Powder coated
Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Curt, Call Speedware in Redmond, WA. They can fabricate most anything and supply more seat than anyone I know. You are safer with stock seat and the 3 point. There is an ex pro football linebacker driving in the Grand AM. You can get a seat.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:17 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Further, running a race seat setup with 5/6 pt harnesses needs to be run in conjunction with a rollbar. Some run that setup with just a harness bar. However, that is very unsafe as well.
Actually, I think Joe Marko of HMS would disagree with you on this one. While a rollbar is certainly safer than a harness bar, having the proper seat with 6 belts installed and a harness bar is safer (even in a rollover) than a factory setup. The reason being that the occupant coming loose in the belts and hitting the car is more common than the car crushing in and injuring the occupant.

This is the transcript from an online seminar he did on JustRacing.com: http://www.justracing.com/seminar_ar...wtopic.php?t=5.

I do agree fully with NOT running the anti-sub belt over the front of the seat. The anti-sub belt helps locate the lap belt on your pelvic bone. In a big frontal hit, the belts will stretch, the sub goes slack and you are now wearing a 4pt that was designed to be a 5pt.

There has been A LOT of discussion about this type of thing over on the DE/Racing board. I suggest you search there.

Personally, I will not use a harness in a student's car that is not used with a proper (i.e. harness holes) seat.

I also suggest reading this: http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf, even if you don't have Schroth harnesses. There is a lot of good information in there.

Last edited by sjanes; 12-06-2007 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Added "I think". I shouldn't give someone else's opinion
Old 12-06-2007, 10:25 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
What you propose is crazy.

Here's what to do.

GT3 seats don't fit me either. I'm 6'5" in the 260 range.
I had a pair of OMP Big seats installed along with a DAS Sport bar w/Schorth ProfiII harnesses. Driver's bolted directly to the floor as far back and as low as it would go. Passenger seat is on a Sparco slider. Seat brackets bolted to an aluminum plate which is then bolted to the floor.

The seats barely fit but they do fit.
Chris,

Do you wear a HANS? Those look like the 2" HANS specific shoulder belts?

Quick Reply: Anti-Sub Strap Mount