Sponsored by:

GT3 Weight Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fryd
Anyone done any serious weight reduction in their 996 GT3? Or is there a thread I should look to? Thinking of putting mine on the Atkins this winter....lotsa carbon me thinks.
If you download the catalogue at the Manthey website, you will find lots of options to reduce weight.

Other weight reduction choices include Ti studs and springs. Öhlins TTX46McP coilovers, cf bucket seats. If you take the car over to Olaf he will have options that are not in the catalogue.

It is rather 'cool' to keep the office as plush as possible and play classical music at maximum volume as you cruise past all the other guys spitting tacks to keep ahead of you. A completely stripped car shows you are trying too hard, I have been known to place a couple of blow up dolls in the rear seats, or where they would be, but jiffy tie them to the roll cage, imagine gaving to explain that you craqshed because your blow up doll got loose.

R+C
Old 08-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim H.
Mark, I gotta speak out on this...sorry if it sounds pithy.

A common theme here on Rennlist is the "unless you're already at the max with your current setup, why modify your car?"

Why? I think it is because some people get enjoyment from the entire ownership, driving, modification, tinkering, maintaining experience. I know I do. In the end, many circuits can be circled fasterin a shifter cart than in a stock GT3, so why not just skip the 100K investment and go faster in a cart?

Not trying to pick on anyone in particular, but this is a common theme, and I think much of the "spend it on driving lessons" advice misses the point that many people enjoy the different facets of motorsport hobbying that are beyond simple lap time reduction...

Back to the thread. I'm also with DanH on this one, ie. the car is awfully expensive to be heavily modifying beyond factory available or reversible mods. If it floats your boat then just make sure you do it safely...

My 2c.
I completely agree. I think the thing that most people don't realize is that every comment of "why" and "that's not necessary" extends to GT3 ownership in general. Why did you buy the GT3 in the first place? Why pay 30k over a C2 for a better motor, better brakes, and better handling? I mean you're not a race car driver and if you want to go fast around a track, get a shifter cart. Well the perfectly good answer is something along the lines of: I felt the GT3 would be more involving and fun for a track day than a C2 and for whatever reason I still want a street car for the track and not a shifter cart. So... if one wants a lighter gt3 the same explanation is valid... I thought a lighter GT3 would be more involving/fun than a GT3 and I don't mind modifying the car so... why not?

So in my opinion, if there is a valid argument that there is no reason to lighten a GT3, I think there is just as valid an argument for not buying the GT3 in the first place. Of course, one chooses for one's own self how far one wants to go, but there's no real *new* argument for not going further.

Now can someone tell me the weight of a 996 door? According to cargraphic the aluminum 997 door is 25.5 pounds. Porsche claims a 44 pound reduction in weight from aluminum hood and doors and plastic engine cover (997 vs. 996). So how much of that weight is doors, how much is hood, and how much is engine cover?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:55 AM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HTML Code:
I'm trying to compare how well I'm doing vs. how well others are doing so as to know where the bar is set.

Well, I know that I am consistetly one of the two faster in my group with a non-modified GT3. I also know that I am 1,5 s slower than a 1st line pro in many tracks. But...

I hate to be overtaken by another GT3 with engine mods, suspension mods, etc... This is why I am allways thinking of changing my suspension to Motons., lightening the car..

IF ( among my group ) we would all agree in keeping the car "as it comes" I would forget the mods... ( Or, perpahs, not...)

Quick Reply: GT3 Weight Loss