Sponsored by:

GT3 Weight Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:44 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Weight Loss

Anyone done any serious weight reduction in their 996 GT3? Or is there a thread I should look to? Thinking of putting mine on the Atkins this winter....lotsa carbon me thinks.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Search is your friend.........

LINK to one of many
Old 08-24-2007, 12:31 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

My car weighs 3078- no driver with 1/2 tank. Have dasport 1/2 cage/gt3 euro seats with fab muffler plus cat bypass.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:18 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
Search is your friend.........

LINK to one of many
This is a good link. Thx. Also looking at the Cargraphic CF doors. 5.1kg vs. 20kg stock. Although Cup doors are 3.5kg apparently.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:29 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful with CF door! CF can be rasor sharp in an accident.Alluminium is safer.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:31 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have a full cage with door bars if you change to CF or Fiberglass doors.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:15 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

I asked about side impact collisions in CF doors, but the dealer here said the Cargraphic CF doors are fully reinforced, equiv to stock. I'm not sure if I believe it myself...and given that the side airbags are going to go, probably a good idea to upgrade to the RS cage.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

My sense is that the RS cage wouldn't provide enough side impact protection. I'd want full nascar bars which would probably defeat the weight loss plans...
Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen ads for a CF roof for $4k. That must be a "bear" to install. It would probably reduce the structural ridgity also.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:51 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask.

Would the aluminum 997 doors fit? What is the weight difference?

This seems like the streetable lightweight door solution.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Why not just get a much lighter second track car like an Ariel Atom? Are you guys really good enough that you're driving the GT3 to the limit and the only way to pick up more speed around the track is weight reduction?
Old 08-25-2007, 10:18 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A chap I know has CF doors and the new cup cage (all supplied by Manthey via Parr in the UK). The cup cage has the side impact bars that are apparently going to be mandatory from next year anyway.

I'm not really happy modifying such an expensive car away from stock to that level though.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark, I gotta speak out on this...sorry if it sounds pithy.

A common theme here on Rennlist is the "unless you're already at the max with your current setup, why modify your car?"

Why? I think it is because some people get enjoyment from the entire ownership, driving, modification, tinkering, maintaining experience. I know I do. In the end, many circuits can be circled fasterin a shifter cart than in a stock GT3, so why not just skip the 100K investment and go faster in a cart?

Not trying to pick on anyone in particular, but this is a common theme, and I think much of the "spend it on driving lessons" advice misses the point that many people enjoy the different facets of motorsport hobbying that are beyond simple lap time reduction...

Back to the thread. I'm also with DanH on this one, ie. the car is awfully expensive to be heavily modifying beyond factory available or reversible mods. If it floats your boat then just make sure you do it safely...

My 2c.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:35 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim H.
Mark, I gotta speak out on this...sorry if it sounds pithy.

A common theme here on Rennlist is the "unless you're already at the max with your current setup, why modify your car?"

Why? I think it is because some people get enjoyment from the entire ownership, driving, modification, tinkering, maintaining experience. I know I do. In the end, many circuits can be circled fasterin a shifter cart than in a stock GT3, so why not just skip the 100K investment and go faster in a cart?

Not trying to pick on anyone in particular, but this is a common theme, and I think much of the "spend it on driving lessons" advice misses the point that many people enjoy the different facets of motorsport hobbying that are beyond simple lap time reduction...

Back to the thread. I'm also with DanH on this one, ie. the car is awfully expensive to be heavily modifying beyond factory available or reversible mods. If it floats your boat then just make sure you do it safely...

My 2c.
I agree with what you're saying on both points. But I'm the first to say that I've still got a lot to learn in terms of driving skill, although am able to keep up with the 997 RSs and highly modified GT3s here in the UK on tracks that I'm really not that familiar with (I'm sub 1.40 on my home track Mosport in Canada if that helps guage where I am in a stock GT3 with MSPCs). I take instruction just about everywhere I go, where it's available, if only to learn the track and the correct line(s) and gears around the track. Usually pick up a few things from each instructor as well on driving the car too.

On your second point re. modifying an already expensive car too much, I agree as well. But I'm in a different situation in that my car has already been in a big accident and thus the 2ndry value of it is already severely diminished (a la the "cheap GT3" thread below). Once I wrecked it, I knew it became my car for life pretty much, so might as well enjoy it the way I want, and not what I have to do to worry about resale.

Having said all of this, I'm likely to look at PCA Stock B class for this in 2009, so wouldn't want to deviate too far from these rules (I know CF or aluminium doors aren't allowed).

But good input all around...keep it coming!
Old 08-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Jim,

I wasn't criticizing as much as asking an honest question. I want to know if many people really get to the point where they are doing something like this just to squeeze a better time out of their car. I'm trying to compare how well I'm doing vs. how well others are doing so as to know where the bar is set. That's why I describe myself as a "relative newbie" at this sport even though I've done several DE's, since when I read stuff like this I think sheez, I have a long way to go!

Bottom line, it's just my natural competetive nature to want to do as good as the next guy. In reality, the sport is a ton of fun no matter how fast I go, and I'll always have to go work on a tooth to make a living-I have no hope of getting a driving contract. LOL

Quick Reply: GT3 Weight Loss