Sponsored by:

Rare Eye Candy

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:21 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rare Eye Candy

Had the opportunity to go to Staunton, VA today and visit G&W Motorwerks and, Weldon Scrogham, G&W's founder and world-renowned Porsche authority. Weldon is world famous for acquiring many rare and exotic older racing Porsche's including several that were at the last Rennsport Reunion.

The Scrogham family has been involved with Porsche and racing for many decades in fact his son is co-owner of Synergy racing. Weldon has a beautiful little showroom and we went up to see what he had in the store so to speak. Even though only a small sample of his collection at any given point is in the showroom we came across this.
Any idea why it is so rare??
Attached Images     
Old 08-18-2007, 07:45 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Because the 996 RS was never brought to US officially.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:07 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Close enough...

This is the ONLY federalized 996 GT3RS in America.

1300 miles and 425 HP from the factory..very nice....

Magnesium wheels, carbon fiber hood, lexan rear window etc....
Old 08-18-2007, 10:40 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Close enough...

1300 miles and 425 HP from the factory..very nice....

Magnesium wheels, carbon fiber hood, lexan rear window etc....
Really? All GT3RSes were quoted 381ps from the factory. It requires significant changes to achieve 425hp... at least new manifolds, induction, 100cell cats, etc... and that's just to get to 410hp...

Also, GT3RS wheels are not magnesium.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

That's sounds as bogus as the other misinformation you posted.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:19 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me, there is no such thing as "425 HP from the factory" for the 996 GT3 RS.

Ciao,

J.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Well folks, I'm just passing along info that Weldon told me. I certainly don't know enough about it to question his authority and I don't think he was BSing me...
Old 08-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

If a "425 HP from the factory" for the 996 GT3 RS was available, every car in Europe would have had it fitted which is not the case............................... Mr. Weldon's authority is not worth much and yes, he was BSing you or he doesn't know better.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:48 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like somebody was blowing sunshine up your skirt Eddie. Come on down to my neck of the woods and you could see another genuine RS that is blue and white that was imported.

I amazes me that some people's ***** is so small that even when they have something as special as a REAL (not cloned) RS still feel the need to embellish and lie to impress which they could have without even saying a word. Insecurity run amuck. Sad.

Last edited by LVDell; 08-19-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:59 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way it's not the only one.I saw 3 imported by a DOT company in 04.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:08 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

WHOA...

You guys are a little raw this AM. Let's try to keep this civil, OK?

As I said above I was just passing along the info he told me. Now granted this guy is older (late 60's?) and he might have gotten his info confused BUT he IS the real deal.

I know for a fact that he has bought and sold several hundred rare older Porsches and in the high end Porsche collector market (of which very few of us are members, myself included) he is a World renoun authority. As an example he is finalizing the acquisition of a certain GT1 (pictures shown) for a collector (client) overseas.

Now as far as having to impress me I'm sure he is secure in his own world to not have to do that. If any of you happen to be going to Rennsport this fall please ask any of the high end owners about him or better yet look him up as he'll be there as a guest of the organizer judging the competition...
Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

With a spot of 'legerdemain' it is possible to bring 996GT3RS cars into the US. Without the connivance of PAG/PCNA, their legality is questionable, when push comes to shove. Fooling people down at the testing station or registering the car is one thing, proving that it is legal in the face of a full official enquiry is something else. To put this into perspective, some private individuals have tried inporting engines into the Continental US. The Customs officer at point of import checked the serial numbers against those numbers allocated by PAG as US compliant and on finding that these were not US authorised engines, impounded them. The importer had a lot of fast talking to do.

As far as actually importing GT1 cars into the US is concerned, we hear about it a lot, it happens very rarely.

R+C
Old 08-19-2007, 06:58 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHOA...

You guys are a little raw this AM. Let's try to keep this civil, OK?

As I said above I was just passing along the info he told me. Now granted this guy is older (late 60's?) and he might have gotten his info confused BUT he IS the real deal.

I know for a fact that he has bought and sold several hundred rare older Porsches and in the high end Porsche collector market (of which very few of us are members, myself included) he is a World renoun authority. As an example he is finalizing the acquisition of a certain GT1 (pictures shown) for a collector (client) overseas.

Now as far as having to impress me I'm sure he is secure in his own world to not have to do that. If any of you happen to be going to Rennsport this fall please ask any of the high end owners about him or better yet look him up as he'll be there as a guest of the organizer judging the competition...
Well if he's world renoun, I haven't heard of him on this side of the pond!

He sounds like just another Porsche trader and is clearly use to all the usual salesman BS. BUYER BEWARE!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:16 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by zoomzoom
Well if he's world renoun, I haven't heard of him on this side of the pond!

Well since Rennsport is a PAG production (along with Brian Redman) I guess somebody on "your side of the pond" knows him as he will be a guest judge there. Feel free to look him up there as he is a very down to earth guy.

The simple truth of the matter is that most, if not all, of us are not in the high end Porsche collector car market. Even though I am fortunate to own two of these fine cars my "stable' is not valued in the 7 figure market. Is yours?? I didn't think so.

I don't expect to win this argument with any of the detractors out there but I stand on my comments. Let's leave it at that.

Quick Reply: Rare Eye Candy