Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody running the Performance Friction Direct Drive 2 piece rotors???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Anybody running the Performance Friction Direct Drive 2 piece rotors???

Curious as to hear opinions on the setup.

1. Comparison to the 1-piece cup rotors most of us are running
2. Where to purchase?
3. How many rotor changes are the hats good for (on average)?
4. How much longer are 1 set of rotors lasting than the cup rotors? Seems the cup rotors go quickly.

Thanks for the input!

ps. IIRC, JimH was running this setup earlier this year.
pss. Seth gave a great write-up of the 01's (pads) in the last year and hopefully this thread I just started will add to both Jim and Seth's comments.

Last edited by LVDell; 08-06-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:27 PM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed them 1 track event ago so don't have enough miles on them to answer all of your questions but offer the following observations and subjective opinions.

(1) The combination of PF floating rotors and PFC-01s are fantastic. Initial bite was great, but not excessive, and the braking response was very linear from initial to threshold to trail. Is the floating rotor with PFC-01 different in feel from a Motorsports rotor with PFC-01 pad? I doubt it, although there may be some long-term benefits given the floating rotor and slots (vs. cross drill) from both performance and cost perspectives

(2) Jim H. pointed me to OG Racing and HMS Motorsports. My shop ended up getting them from HRP.

My 996-3 will be gone tomorrow, so I won't be able to give a long-term update. But I was sufficiently impressed that after I wear through the OEM set on the 997-3, I will buy the PF setup for the '7.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the input. I see you sold your 6GT3? I remember you posting you had some potential buyers.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:33 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

It seems that much of the longevity problems with the GT3 rotors is due to the cross-drilling.

Does anybody run non-drilled rotors on GT3 with track use? Comments?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

fhp911, there are many people running non-drilled rotors (brembo, alcon, etc.).

Let's keep this thread to the PF direct drive info I am looking for so it doesn't get off track. Please start another thread if you are interested in that info. Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 09:49 PM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Thanks for the input. I see you sold your 6GT3? I remember you posting you had some potential buyers.
Sold tomorrow, unfortunately. Given the last minute nickel and dime-ing I'm getting regarding the new car there might be a CW '7GT3 looking for an owner soon.

Back on topic, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in on the PF rotor and hat longevity question. Jim H. will be good resource, as will I, eventually, about 9 months after I get another GT3 of any vintage.

Hey, good luck to you and your wife with Baby-Boot-Camp when it comes. I'm in the middle of it (6 weeks old), and it is brutal, especially when sleep deprivation interacts with car decisions.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by mnorek
Sold tomorrow, unfortunately. Given the last minute nickel and dime-ing I'm getting regarding the new car there might be a CW '7GT3 looking for an owner soon.

Back on topic, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in on the PF rotor and hat longevity question. Jim H. will be good resource, as will I, eventually, about 9 months after I get another GT3 of any vintage.

Hey, good luck to you and your wife with Baby-Boot-Camp when it comes. I'm in the middle of it (6 weeks old), and it is brutal, especially when sleep deprivation interacts with car decisions.
wait, are you selling 6gt3 or 7gt3 or both?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:03 PM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
6; but the dealer may be looking for the next name in line soon on the 7 I'm supposed to buy. PM me and I'll drop you a line if it goes south.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:03 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
He's selling the 996-3 setup with all kinds of race goodies... WHY ARE YOU ASKING, MOOTY???

Dell, the life of the hat is also limited. Do you really want to get into hardware replacement and rebuilding discs?

Sure, the Cup rotors are a tad thinner, but they offer great performance and it's an easy swap out job. One piece, no clicking and no hassle.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

How much does the pfb dd system run? Mike
Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

trust, if you are concerned with cost and you do 20+ days on teh car, just use the cup rotors. overall it is much cheaper than any alternative out there. i looked at them all.

RJFabCab, i asked b/c i thought he made a typo, but sounds like both gt3 are for sale.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I posted a thread awhile back about the PFC direct drive floating rotors and the PFC-01 pads. I echoed the comments by someone else who tried them before me.

They felt great on the track, IMO, better than the Pagid RS-19s and stock rotors. Unfortunately I'm only on my third track day with the PFC setup so can't speak to longevity just yet. Too busy to track much this summer.

From what I've been told, the PFC rotor only replacement costs are on par with the cost of cup rotors BUT, the PFC rotors should last double or better so in the end, hopefully half the cost. Mooty is pretty knowledgable but I think the PFCs will be a better performing and cheaper alternative to cup rotors.

Nobody I've talked to has been disappointed with the PFC setup. Try them out. Remember to only use their pads though as the rotor's hat diameter will interfere with Pagid pads. I almost learned that that hard way...

Cheers.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:34 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jim H.
... but I think the PFCs will be a better performing and cheaper alternative to cup rotors..
assumption could be true.
but do realize that your hat will wear, i be surprised to see hats in good shape after three disk changes. also, unless you torque each nubbin to spec when you you replace the disk, u have to pay someone else to do it. you have to add up the labor cost as well. also nubbins are not re-usable, at least i dont re use them on my brembo's. if you add up all the cost, it could be very close.

performance wise, the aftermarket stuff MAY have some advantage, but i am lazy and i need convenience. i am either surfing, working or driving. i dont have much time eating or sleeping so i can't afford any time to deal with brakes other than simple oem. if you have the time to do it, aftermarket 2 pcs may work well for you.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:58 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim H.
Remember to only use their pads though as the rotor's hat diameter will interfere with Pagid pads. I almost learned that that hard way...

Cheers.
I remember that... your hat hardware was nearly touching the edge of the Pagids.

Mooty, I was just razzing you about which car was for sale. I like the simplicity of the single piece Cup rotor... no rebuild kits, no torques specs, no guessing on the hat, etc. I have PLENTY of brake with RS29s.

I'm interested in how Jim's PFC scenario plays out.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Randy, you lazy boy! What, like you have other things going on in your life besides the car? It's not like you are spending your time at the track lately

Quick Reply: Anybody running the Performance Friction Direct Drive 2 piece rotors???